Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Dedicated Cooling for F@H
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dedicated Cooling for F@H

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I figured you guys would like this. I built this is about 2 hours. Its not finished.





post #2 of 9
Any drops in temperatures?

Have you got any fans running inline with the tubing? You may be starving your PC of air if its functioning as intake, and running it as exhaust only may be too restrictive without a fan too.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.3GHz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1.45GHz/1.9GHz Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
120.5 Custom Loop Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX Series 850w NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3820 @ 4.3GHz ASUS Rampage IV Formula X79 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid @ 1.45GHz/1.9GHz Corsair Dominator 16gb @ 2.2GHz C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 1tb 7200RPM WD Caviar Blue 500gb 7200RPM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
120.5 Custom Loop Windows 10 Pro x64 LG D2343P-BN 3D Monitor @ 70Hz Corsair K70 (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX Series 850w NZXT Switch 810 Black (Heavily Modded) Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Sennheiser HD 598 Cs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5Ghz Gigabyte 970A UD3 AMD HD8490 (OEM) @ 1.1Ghz Core/Mem Patriot Viper Xtreme 8gb @1600MHz 8-8-8-24 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LiteOn Bluray Player Corsair Hydro Series H100i Zalman 120mm Led Fans x4 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hitachi 24" 70Hz Monitor Logitech EX110 OCZ ZT 550w Full Modular Zalman Z9 Plus 
MouseAudioOther
DELL Wireless Mouse Logitech 5.1 Sound System TP-Link TL-WN781ND Wireless Card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Any drops in temperatures?

Have you got any fans running inline with the tubing? You may be starving your PC of air if its functioning as intake, and running it as exhaust only may be too restrictive without a fan too.

There is an inline duct fan that does about 320 CFM. I havent noticed much temp drop on the computer but my room is about 10 degrees cooler. I have 2 back fans and 3 fans on the top that are all blowing out. The inline duct fan has enough suction to keep the temps stable.
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryahn View Post

There is an inline duct fan that does about 320 CFM. I havent noticed much temp drop on the computer but my room is about 10 degrees cooler. I have 2 back fans and 3 fans on the top that are all blowing out. The inline duct fan has enough suction to keep the temps stable.

That's a pretty nice drop in ambient nonetheless smile.gif
Pure 1nhibition
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 3570K] [Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H] [eVGA 560 Ti] [8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[OCZ Vertex LE 50GB SSD | 1TB | 2TB] [A50] [Windows 10 Pro x64] [24" Samsung 2494HM] 
Power
[Corsair 750W] 
  hide details  
Reply
Pure 1nhibition
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 3570K] [Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H] [eVGA 560 Ti] [8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[OCZ Vertex LE 50GB SSD | 1TB | 2TB] [A50] [Windows 10 Pro x64] [24" Samsung 2494HM] 
Power
[Corsair 750W] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
interesting

Funny thing is I was thinking about doing something similar at my house. I was going to build a radiator box that had two, 6" inline fans. One fan would exhaust out of the house, One fan would intake into the house. Depending on the ambient temperature outside I could decide either to exhaust heat outside, or suck cold air from outside. In the summer time I would want to exhaust heat out of the house, in the winter intaking air from outside.

I'm kinda tired of gaming in my computer room in the summer time it may as well be a sauna. With the Alabama heat running the A/C a lot can result in some pretty nasty utility bills.
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

interesting

Funny thing is I was thinking about doing something similar at my house. I was going to build a radiator box that had two, 6" inline fans. One fan would exhaust out of the house, One fan would intake into the house. Depending on the ambient temperature outside I could decide either to exhaust heat outside, or suck cold air from outside. In the summer time I would want to exhaust heat out of the house, in the winter intaking air from outside.

I'm kinda tired of gaming in my computer room in the summer time it may as well be a sauna. With the Alabama heat running the A/C a lot can result in some pretty nasty utility bills.

For the summer time I can definitively see it as worth experimenting with. Especially if you are only looking to make it more pleasant for you to be in the room with the computer when you are gaming with it.
Pure 1nhibition
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 3570K] [Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H] [eVGA 560 Ti] [8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[OCZ Vertex LE 50GB SSD | 1TB | 2TB] [A50] [Windows 10 Pro x64] [24" Samsung 2494HM] 
Power
[Corsair 750W] 
  hide details  
Reply
Pure 1nhibition
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i5 3570K] [Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H] [eVGA 560 Ti] [8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600] 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
[OCZ Vertex LE 50GB SSD | 1TB | 2TB] [A50] [Windows 10 Pro x64] [24" Samsung 2494HM] 
Power
[Corsair 750W] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

interesting

Funny thing is I was thinking about doing something similar at my house. I was going to build a radiator box that had two, 6" inline fans. One fan would exhaust out of the house, One fan would intake into the house. Depending on the ambient temperature outside I could decide either to exhaust heat outside, or suck cold air from outside. In the summer time I would want to exhaust heat out of the house, in the winter intaking air from outside.

I'm kinda tired of gaming in my computer room in the summer time it may as well be a sauna. With the Alabama heat running the A/C a lot can result in some pretty nasty utility bills.

The only issue I see with using cold outside air on a radiator. Is the humidity will start to condense.

I will be building a more permanent solution for mine out of wood or fiberglass. I still get some heat that escapes the shroud and heats my room up.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryahn View Post

The only issue I see with using cold outside air on a radiator. Is the humidity will start to condense.

I will be building a more permanent solution for mine out of wood or fiberglass. I still get some heat that escapes the shroud and heats my room up.

Hmm, I doubt that would be an issue, as the cold air coming would just heat up due to the radiators, and the warmer the air gets the more moisture it can absorb. Now I suppose I could have an issue if the water temperature of the loop dropped below ambient of the room, then condensation very well could be an issue.

I'd imagine that some heat escapes ur system since it's quite easy for the air to mix with the air in your room. Ideally you'd be water cooled, as it's much easier seal a radiator box than it is a computer case.
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

Hmm, I doubt that would be an issue, as the cold air coming would just heat up due to the radiators, and the warmer the air gets the more moisture it can absorb. Now I suppose I could have an issue if the water temperature of the loop dropped below ambient of the room, then condensation very well could be an issue.

I'd imagine that some heat escapes ur system since it's quite easy for the air to mix with the air in your room. Ideally you'd be water cooled, as it's much easier seal a radiator box than it is a computer case.

One thing I am going to be doing a new venting system. Probably going to build a box around it with space around the it. Add a nice high CFM fan in the front to help force up the back through the vent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Dedicated Cooling for F@H