Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [EuroGamer] Woman awarded $10k after suing Microsoft for sneaky Windows 10 upgrade
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[EuroGamer] Woman awarded $10k after suing Microsoft for sneaky Windows 10 upgrade - Page 9  

post #81 of 100
I can relate exactly with this...without warning my computer updated to Windows 10, which messed up a couple of my applications that required Windows 7....I wasn't a happy camper...
BleedinRaged
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790K ASRock Fatal1ty MSI GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD TRUE Windows 7 Pro 22" Acer Ferrari F-22 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
yes ;0 CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W Lian Li PC-V1200B Logitech G5 
  hide details  
BleedinRaged
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790K ASRock Fatal1ty MSI GTX 970 G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SSD TRUE Windows 7 Pro 22" Acer Ferrari F-22 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
yes ;0 CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W Lian Li PC-V1200B Logitech G5 
  hide details  
post #82 of 100
What if Win10 will still be free even after July 29? Don't they just share the files elsewhere?
post #83 of 100
Whatever good thing there was to say regarding their recent decision of implementing the "Decline free offer" button has become completely null because of their latest update:

Win7 and 8.1 patch KB 3173040 throws full-screen Win10 upgrade warning



Full-Screen and no close button. This is the last straw. Microsoft has lost any sort of credibility in my view and unless they manage to output a new OS until 2020 that respects:

1. Privacy
2. User Choice
3. Backwards Compatibility

I see no reason why anyone would continue doing business with them. Their "Sorry, not sorry" statement becomes even more offensive with this latest release.

I hope you are happy with your 350 million Windows 10 users, cause I sure as hell don't expect a single one that will decide to join them after this offensive treatment of your loyal 50%+ user-base of Windows 7/8.1 users. Feel free to recommend and add KB 3173040 to the list of useless and offensive updates that have no reason to be installed on a PC.
post #84 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocozaur View Post

Whatever good thing there was to say regarding their recent decision of implementing the "Decline free offer" button has become completely null because of their latest update:

Win7 and 8.1 patch KB 3173040 throws full-screen Win10 upgrade warning



Full-Screen and no close button. This is the last straw. Microsoft has lost any sort of credibility in my view and unless they manage to output a new OS until 2020 that respects:

1. Privacy
2. User Choice
3. Backwards Compatibility

I see no reason why anyone would continue doing business with them. Their "Sorry, not sorry" statement becomes even more offensive with this latest release.

I hope you are happy with your 350 million Windows 10 users, cause I sure as hell don't expect a single one that will decide to join them after this offensive treatment of your loyal 50%+ user-base of Windows 7/8.1 users. Feel free to recommend and add KB 3173040 to the list of useless and offensive updates that have no reason to be installed on a PC.


What the?

...

Interrupting people again, this time with a fullscreen ad with no conventional close button, à la UAC prompt? And they are trying to do this to people who specifically didn't allow or uninstalled the GWX app? Talk about being pushy to the point of bullying. One more update to hide then. Thanks for the info. Rep+.

And again the sketchy UI design, where the actual consumer choices are presented not on buttons like the others but in plain text with a colour that blends the best with the background, hoping people won't notice.

This is a sign of most desperation. If the OS is "free" and supposedly great, people will come, people usually go out of their way to get good free stuff. They shouldn't have to be doing this if they were correct. If people don't upgrade now and then feel the need to do so later, supposedly it's awesome for Microsoft, because those will then be paying customers, right? Unless they feel that the OS is wholly inadequate as a paid solution that provides the least amount of privacy and control of any Windows OS and thus will have to do something about it, which they obviously don't want to. The easiest way to avoid it is to get critical mass on Windows 10 during the free period, so people can't morally complain because it was "free".

Well, here's the thing Microsoft: go home.


I concur with you, I have no idea how they want to be taken seriously and be respected with tactics like these. I would expect this from download sites that bundle adware and that put a fake download button next to the real thing, etc, not from a supposedly respectable company.
Edited by tpi2007 - 6/30/16 at 5:53pm
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
 
Metro 2033 review
Metro 2033
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-3820 Asus Sabertooth X79 MSI GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming X 16 GB Corsair DDR3 1866 Mhz Dominator 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung SSD 830 128GB + WD Caviar Black 2TB Sony Optiarc DVD-RW Corsair A70 + Noiseblocker M12-P Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ RL2455HM Cooler Master Octane Corsair AX750 Professional Modular 80 Plus Gold Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus 
Mouse
Cooler Master Octane 
  hide details  
post #85 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Brave words now. Let's see what you say in 2018 when all major releases are DX12...

OMG OMG you mean M$ won't let me in then?? I'll be out in the cold with no lifeline? forsaken? Ahh Woe is me.

Added:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitingnick View Post

I can relate exactly with this...without warning my computer updated to Windows 10, which messed up a couple of my applications that required Windows 7....I wasn't a happy camper...

Happy camper is soo DirectX 11 ! tongue.gif
post #86 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

What you fail to acknowledge is that the trust link between Microsoft and its users is broken when they resort to tactics like these. As I said in a previous post, if she had a backup, being a travel agent, it would have to be connected to the Internet to have the same functionality as the main one, so the chances are she'd end up in the same situation, with the backup computer also upgraded to Windows 10 and she'd be having the same problems, albeit with two systems instead of just one. The solution is for Microsoft to not abuse its position, that's all.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree. I haven't lost "trust" in MS because they upgraded my PC to a newer and better version of Windows for free. In fact, I am actually really excited that for the first time in, well, ever, I don't have to drip $150 for the newest Windows. I get that you and others are of the opposite opinion but I'm pretty sure that the majority of PC users really just want an updated and fresh Windows that just works and aren't bothered at all by leaving updates on and not having to be a computer wizard to get anything done on their machines. They don't usually even think about the OS, they just want to be able to do whatever they have the PC for (work, internet, games, etc) and not be bothered with it. People who sit around tweaking the registry and customizing every last little option in an OS are a very small minority and obviously not the target audience for Windows 10.

Are there issues with it? Well nothing is perfect of course. I'd like them to offer more robust options for the "look" of the OS for starters, especially for people who have plenty of hp to burn. Aero was one of my favorite things about Win7 and I would love to see an updated and prettier version of it on 10. I'm also of the opinion that ANY option in the system should be optional. There should be an easy way to turn them on or off no matter what and that is obviously one of the omissions (in some cases) that you have constantly griped about, with cause. I also think that there should be advanced settings for all aspects of the OS so that users are free to fully tailor the way the system runs and looks if they so desire (tile size and appearance should be fully customization by the user as just a small example), even if the mass majority of users will be perfectly happy to leave things on auto. But overall I am very happy with 10 and love how fast it is and how well everything "just works". It was a major surprise to me that not one single program I have was borked or removed by the upgrade from 8.1 and I know I am far from the only one. By and large the upgrade is completely seamless for most users and I actually doubt a lot of people even realize they are using a completely new version of Windows.
post #87 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post

Good, I hope Microsoft gets reamed by courts in countries that actually care for their citizens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

Too little too late, they still deserve a barrage of class action suits.

Couldn't agree more, if pushing this "upgrade" is causing a loss in productivity and loss earnings/wages/business then they have every right to sue for those damages.

Really want the Chinko Project to push for the same thing due to the unnecessary ($87,000) bandwidth charges that incurred due to the forced Windows 10 upgrade on their computers, http://www.overclock.net/t/1602317/newsweek-microsoft-s-malware-like-windows-10-automatic-upgrades-cost-anti-poaching-nonprofit-thousands-group-says/0_100

I am an regular donator to the Chinko Project and that is not what my donated money should be going towards Microsoft!
post #88 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

In fact, I am actually really excited that for the first time in, well, ever, I don't have to drip $150 for the newest Windows.
But it's only 40-50 for the faster Enterprise ver.
Only the home/pro ver is free
post #89 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana Chan View Post

But it's only 40-50 for the faster Enterprise ver.
Only the home/pro ver is free

The Home or Pro version are the only ones I have ever bought going back to Win98. Now I don't ever have to buy another Windows again, supposedly...
post #90 of 100
I really don't bother taking any of his posts seriously to be honest. He just hates MS and Windows and is so vigilant in crapping on them at every opportunity he might as well be getting paid to do so. I really don't think there is any version of Windows possible that could make him happy.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [EuroGamer] Woman awarded $10k after suing Microsoft for sneaky Windows 10 upgrade