Originally Posted by marik123
Personally I would rather keep your 980ti and wait for 1080ti later this year or early next year before you upgrade. The 1070 vs 980ti is nearly the same performance after oc. The only difference you get is lower power consumption. Unless if you can sell your 980ti and be able to upgrade for free to a 1070 or maybe pay less than $30, then I would go for it.
I'm still waiting for a $379 1070, and I sold my 980 a while ago for $318, now stuck with HD4600.
I totally get where you're coming from, I know the performance difference will be marginal at best. The 980Ti I've got is a reference cooler though, and with the airflow in my mITX case not being the best, overclocking is out of the question unless I want to game next to a hairdryer. If I got an AIB 1070, it would hopefully run cooler and quieter, even with the airflow not being the best.
I think the 1080Ti will be out of my price range when it comes out, so I'd rather get rid if this 980Ti before it becomes virtually worthless.