Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD RX 480 Review Thread - Page 240

post #2391 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

When did AMD present a Hitman demo featuring Polaris?
few months the back

March I think
post #2392 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylzer View Post

few months the back

March I think
Yeah, and apparently it was so efficient back then it didn't even need a fan. Or maybe that was Polaris 11, the same one used in Battlefront demo vs GTX 950.
Main
(17 items)
 
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB WD Blue WD30EZRZ 3TB Noctua NH-D15S Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm, 1100 RPM, 68.5 CFM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm, 1300 RPM, 60.1 CFM Windows 10 Enterprise Zalcom ZM27Q1 27" 1440p Glossy IPS Leopold FC750 (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 650 G2 Corsair 400Q Logitech Performance Mouse MX Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo 
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z 
CPUCPURAMHard Drive
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz  ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz  4 MB 256 kB 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
DS OS 3" 256×192 18-bit 3" 256×192 18-bit 850 mAh 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(17 items)
 
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB WD Blue WD30EZRZ 3TB Noctua NH-D15S Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm, 1100 RPM, 68.5 CFM 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm, 1300 RPM, 60.1 CFM Windows 10 Enterprise Zalcom ZM27Q1 27" 1440p Glossy IPS Leopold FC750 (MX Brown) 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 650 G2 Corsair 400Q Logitech Performance Mouse MX Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo 
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z 
CPUCPURAMHard Drive
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz  ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz  4 MB 256 kB 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
DS OS 3" 256×192 18-bit 3" 256×192 18-bit 850 mAh 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2393 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot View Post

Yeah, and apparently it was so efficient back then it didn't even need a fan. Or maybe that was Polaris 11, the same one used in Battlefront demo vs GTX 950.
obviously it was polaris 11
post #2394 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slomo4shO View Post

Most reasonable people would have expected the new price of the R9 390 and 390X to fall in around $199 for the R9 390 and $249 for the R9 390X. Instead, we find a new product positioned at $239 that ends up providing less or similar performance as the R9 390. Who should find such a product reasonably priced for the performance it delivers?
The only thing unforgivable is your continued use of strawman arguments rolleyes.gif

I don't feel like NVIDIA is being reasonable pricing 1070 & 1080 either.

AMD is (for the moment) alone on its "low priced field", and its product seems to be selling well. From their pov, any reason they should lower the price?

.. Don't see any.

Launch price are known to have quite the margin, which will allow them to lower the price when needed. No new nvidia card in this range, means no need to lower the price if it sells already.
post #2395 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblue View Post

I don't feel like NVIDIA is being reasonable pricing 1070 & 1080 either.

AMD is (for the moment) alone on its "low priced field", and its product seems to be selling well. From their pov, any reason they should lower the price?

.. Don't see any.

Launch price are known to have quite the margin, which will allow them to lower the price when needed. No new nvidia card in this range, means no need to lower the price if it sells already.

The GTX 1060 is imminent though, launching in as little as a few days if you believe some rumours. I think it will be launched by the middle of the month, so hey won't be alone in this lower-priced segment.

Because of Nvidia's quite strange choice of a 192-bit bus width on the memory they're left with 3GB and 6GB. The 3GB 1060 I expect to cost $250 and this is a bit of a lifeline for AMD as that is drastically less memory than the similarly priced 480.
post #2396 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post

The GTX 1060 is imminent though, launching in as little as a few days if you believe some rumours. I think it will be launched by the middle of the month, so hey won't be alone in this lower-priced segment.

Because of Nvidia's quite strange choice of a 192-bit bus width on the memory they're left with 3GB and 6GB. The 3GB 1060 I expect to cost $250 and this is a bit of a lifeline for AMD as that is drastically less memory than the similarly priced 480.

Well they've had lower vram/bus width before and been successful in sales over AMD so it probably won't stop them this time, although most enthusiasts that keep track of a cards longevity in the market will concede that in recent history an AMD mid range card will age much better than the Nvidia counterpart.

I still think the 480 may do as well as the 1060 but then again Nvidia has the superior image so who knows.
post #2397 of 3674
Interesting video about custom 480 oc potential as estimate.
My System
(1 item)
 
  
CPU
asus laptop 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(1 item)
 
  
CPU
asus laptop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2398 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmario View Post

Interesting video about custom 480 oc potential as estimate.
what stable 24/7 OC range does that video put air cooled 8-pin AIB cards at ?
Edited by ChevChelios - 7/5/16 at 1:22am
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2399 of 3674
Hmm interesting video I'm impressed with how they bypassed the ref card issues , they paid little credence to the overdraw power issue which was really interesting and unlike the founders edition cards they have way overspecced pcbs - not even cooling the vrms lol. It does seem like like mid to high 1400s vs 1500s is where it's likely to come out. Unless there is heavy binning going on.
post #2400 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthello View Post

Hmm interesting video I'm impressed with how they bypassed the ref card issues , they paid little credence to the overdraw power issue which was really interesting

He referred to the fix for the PCIE issue as being something that will shut the media up, it appeared that he didn't think it's a huge problem at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread