Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD RX 480 Review Thread - Page 256

post #2551 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

Yep, I had pointed that out in one of the other threads. Scaling does not really matter, just overall performance at the intended clocks.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that scaling doesn't matter. People were pretty openly bashing the 1080 for its mediocre FPS increases, despite hitting High 19s all the way into high 20s on OC. (As far as I can see, the best 1080 is usually only 4-5 FPS better than FE). Overclockability and the "free" performance you can (or can't) get from a card is a selling point for most people on this forum (which can be considered as "enthusiasts").

The scaling also matters when it comes to pricing. When the Reference, OC, and super OC variants of a card all perform within 3-6% of each other, yet the price difference is $50-$100, scaling does come into play. Just my 2cents.gif
post #2552 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeed Orbit View Post

I wouldn't go as far as saying that scaling doesn't matter. People were pretty openly bashing the 1080 for its mediocre FPS increases, despite hitting High 19s all the way into high 20s on OC. (As far as I can see, the best 1080 is usually only 4-5 FPS better than FE). Overclockability and the "free" performance you can (or can't) get from a card is a selling point for most people on this forum (which can be considered as "enthusiasts").

The scaling also matters when it comes to pricing. When the Reference, OC, and super OC variants of a card all perform within 3-6% of each other, yet the price difference is $50-$100, scaling does come into play. Just my 2cents.gif

Totally valid points, but if you have the right tools you can oc all of the clock domains that matter and make scaling much better. Since AMD is pushing "control of your card" they could add sliders for all of the subdomains in RSC too. They could always do clock doubling for specific portions of the chip as an alternative, just a few blocks of transistors in strategic locations that need the extra grunt. Simplify the circuit and run it at double the core clock.

Something has to change if they cant keep pace.
Edited by KarathKasun - 7/8/16 at 10:41am
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2553 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

Totally valid points, but if you have the right tools you can oc all of the clock domains that matter and make scaling much better. Since AMD is pushing "control of your card" they could add sliders for all of the subdomains in RSC too.

Something has to change if they cant keep pace.

I'd have to agree with you. With the right tools, one could push an Nvidia card much harder if they had access to the other clock domains. I'm reluctant to say the same about AMD cards however. Given the fact that the GCN architecture doesn't particularly like high clocks (unless someone is okay with dealing with a lot more heat/noise/power consumption) this isn't really an option that would give that great of a result (IMO)

I was hoping for more IPC gain (Since we can see that it's minimal compared to last generation of cards)
Which means that architecturally, the new GCN hasn't changed much, and is still hamstrung in the same ways older generations were.

In conclusion, yes... Something has to happen, because they apparently cannot keep pace.
post #2554 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post


Your whole post is hilarious because you dont understand that the "old tech" is just as efficient as AMDs "new tech", now cost less in UK and performs the same


But keep on supporting the company that said RX 480 Crossfire would beat 1080 yet only match GTX 1070.
Falls in line with their Fury X marketing where they presented slides that show Fury X to be 20-30% faster than 980Ti. And an overclockers dream.

LOL

 

But that is a false argument.

 

Nobody cares about old tech, when buying today (ie THIS MONTH). You keep bringing it up as some sort of thing with "performance". Yet, that performance doesn't support current newer standards, then the people shopping for a new build will not be shopping old tech. 

 

Ur bias, is so dumb..  

 

Matter of fact (old standards) is the reason nVidia is coming out with a 1060, uno... because of "new tech".

Do understand, I am talking about reality, you are yammering about has-been marketing strategies.

 

We live in the real world and understand the value of a RX480. (It is perfect for a new home build, or HTPC.)

post #2555 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

But that is a false argument.

Nobody cares about old tech, when buying today (ie THIS MONTH). You keep bringing it up as some sort of thing with "performance". Yet, that performance doesn't support current newer standards, then the people shopping for a new build will not be shopping old tech. 

Ur bias, is so dumb..  

Matter of fact (old standards) is the reason nVidia is coming out with a 1060, uno... because of "new tech".
Do understand, I am talking about reality, you are yammering about has-been marketing strategies.

We live in the real world and understand the value of a RX480. (It is perfect for a new home build, or HTPC.)

You are wasting time. ILeakStuff actually believes people who buy AMD gpu's are less educated(dumb) than Nvidia purchasers. Somehow ILeakStuff made this conclusion claiming since AMD brand costs less. Ignoring the fact Nvidia makes cheap gpu's also. He is a hardware user profiler, and has all the answers!
post #2556 of 3674
When are the custom RX 480 AIB cards rumored to be released?
post #2557 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tice03 View Post

When are the custom RX 480 AIB cards rumored to be released?
a day after the paper launch of 1060
post #2558 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by tice03 View Post

When are the custom RX 480 AIB cards rumored to be released?
one - on july 22 IIRC

others - no idea
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2559 of 3674


loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
loon 3.2
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K Asus P8Z77-V Pro EVGA 980TI SC+ 16Gb PNY ddr3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb 1 TB Seagate 3 TB WD Blue DVD DVDRW+/- 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EKWB P280 kit EK-VGA supremacy Win X LG 24MC57HQ-P 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Zero [blues] EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 Stryker M [hammered and drilled] corsair M65 
AudioAudio
SB Recon3D Klipsch ProMedia 2.1  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2560 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



Oh lala, hopefully this means we will be seeing reviews early next week!
Steins Gate
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7800x @ TBD ASRock OC Formula X299 XFX Vega 64 4x4 Crucial Ballistix Elite @ TBD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 Evo 850 Evo WD Blue 1TB Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XR342CK G413 EVGA 750w G2 CM MC5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G703 Logitech Powerplay Onboard Logitech Z906 
Audio
HD518 
  hide details  
Reply
Steins Gate
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 7800x @ TBD ASRock OC Formula X299 XFX Vega 64 4x4 Crucial Ballistix Elite @ TBD 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 Evo 850 Evo WD Blue 1TB Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XR342CK G413 EVGA 750w G2 CM MC5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G703 Logitech Powerplay Onboard Logitech Z906 
Audio
HD518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread