Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD RX 480 Review Thread - Page 293

post #2921 of 3674
I don't understand how these people are getting their "max oc" values. I can get 100% stable at 1360 @ 1150mv (stock bios max) with 2200 memory @ 975mv with a hackjob aftermarket cooler set up on a chepo budget motherboard and barely passable psu (rosewill arc 650w). There are many other users here that have achieved the same if not better.
post #2922 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by comagnum View Post

I don't understand how these people are getting their "max oc" values. I can get 100% stable at 1360 @ 1150mv (stock bios max) with 2200 memory @ 975mv with a hackjob aftermarket cooler set up on a chepo budget motherboard and barely passable psu (rosewill arc 650w). There are many other users here that have achieved the same if not better.

Failed attempts at overclocking sums it up. At least the TPU review that's a very fair summation of it.

For those that do buy the strix there is also GPUtweak2 with the asus card that allows voltages beyond 1.150 i hear . Still that might be taking it a bit far for most reviews admittedly. Nice for the enthusiast however.
post #2923 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by comagnum View Post

I don't understand how these people are getting their "max oc" values. I can get 100% stable at 1360 @ 1150mv (stock bios max) with 2200 memory @ 975mv with a hackjob aftermarket cooler set up on a chepo budget motherboard and barely passable psu (rosewill arc 650w). There are many other users here that have achieved the same if not better.

Ill repost myself.

A lot of info coming from real deal overclockers.
post #2924 of 3674
Yeah , i'd love to have a play with a ref card seeing that 1500mhz vid lol.

Put two of them in the chilled rig , get to 1600 maybe wink.gif Would be a bit of fun.
post #2925 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post

germans increased PT because they actually list core clock results with and without PT

they got 15 Mhz more than TPU

Why is everyone so optimistic with RX480 overclocking? Maybe Rx480s aren't great clockers.
No name
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7820X @ 4.6GHz/1.17v Asus ROG Strix X299  MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3800MHz CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB  Samsung 850 EVO 1TB  Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
34" Asus Swift PG348Q G-Sync 3440x1440 @ 100Hz Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair RM1000x Corsair Carbide Series 600C 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  Creative Sound Blaster Z Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
No name
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7820X @ 4.6GHz/1.17v Asus ROG Strix X299  MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3800MHz CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB  Samsung 850 EVO 1TB  Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
34" Asus Swift PG348Q G-Sync 3440x1440 @ 100Hz Corsair Vengeance K70 Corsair RM1000x Corsair Carbide Series 600C 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  Creative Sound Blaster Z Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2926 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYU87 View Post

Why is everyone so optimistic with RX480 overclocking? Maybe Rx480s aren't great clockers.

It's like this with every new CPU and GPU.
post #2927 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYU87 View Post

Why is everyone so optimistic with RX480 overclocking? Maybe Rx480s aren't great clockers.

There is the silicon lottery in everything , some ref cards do 1420 mhz , others 1330 mhz etc. The excitement also comes from getting rid of the throttling which helps just as much as the overclocking.

With some mods and voltage tweaks , liquid cooling etc you are in the realm of high 1400s or early 1500s. That's been done on reference cards.

What i do like about this GPU from what i have seen is , it does seem to scale with cooling and voltage .. a bit anyhow. Its not a Tahiti for sure - wringed 1400 mhz out of those with the lightnings (chilled) but its still something. If you look across the fence as an overclocker at pascal overclocking (even compared to maxwell) you just can't get excited about that in comparison.
Edited by Orthello - 7/21/16 at 3:51pm
post #2928 of 3674
Seeing how complex polaris architecture is, and what performance it shows i think its a great overclocker. But we are just missing the proper tools to play with it. Wait for custom bios, some custom card with better voltage control over consumer software and ofc seriously good thermal solution it will be possible to reach 1.5 ghz.
post #2929 of 3674
When the hell will they unlock the memory OC? They still limit it to 2250 only when in fact 2400 is doable with these chips on other cards.
The power consumption is poor though it's definitely a Maxwell level like consumption for the performance it has. Considering the size and transistor count it's doing ok but it's perf/power ratio poor.

They need to start a price war. This STRIX certainly doesn't convince me to buy a 480 over 1060 at equal price.

AMD GPUs almost never OC well, it's like +100MHz over reference, maximum. So with 480 that's about 1366MHz.
post #2930 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

When the hell will they unlock the memory OC? They still limit it to 2250 only when in fact 2400 is doable with these chips on other cards.
The power consumption is poor though it's definitely a Maxwell level like consumption for the performance it has. Considering the size and transistor count it's doing ok but it's perf/power ratio poor.

They need to start a price war. This STRIX certainly doesn't convince me to buy a 480 over 1060 at equal price.

AMD GPUs almost never OC well, it's like +100MHz over reference, maximum. So with 480 that's about 1366MHz.

Have you seen a 975MHz 7970 clocked at 1300MHz, or a 850MHz 7850 clocked at 1350MHz on air? They are great clockers, mate. Hawaii and Fiji don't clocked well, but they were on the end of 28nm uarch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread