Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD RX 480 Review Thread - Page 323

post #3221 of 3674
I personally think the Sapphire Nitro price is justified, due to the RGB LED, Dual BIOS, removable fans and backplate. No other card has all those things right now. If you don't care for these things, it's understandable that you'd prefer a cheaper card without these features.
post #3222 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post

I personally think the Sapphire Nitro price is justified, due to the RGB LED, Dual BIOS, removable fans and backplate. No other card has all those things right now. If you don't care for these things, it's understandable that you'd prefer a cheaper card without these features.

Those things are nice, but imo they don't increase the value of the card that much. The dual bios would be cool if it were oc and uber oc, but it's quiet and oc. Imo should be quiet in either mode.the only rgb I know of on the card is the branding logo. And I've removed the fans on several cards without taking them fully apart. May be an exception rather than a rule but I don't see the big deal about that
post #3223 of 3674
Understandable, but it does cost them money to put those things on the card.
post #3224 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightAntilli View Post

I personally think the Sapphire Nitro price is justified, due to the RGB LED, Dual BIOS, removable fans and backplate. No other card has all those things right now. If you don't care for these things, it's understandable that you'd prefer a cheaper card without these features.

LED was sooo 2009 with enthusiasts, now it's mainstream. I'll pass. Everything else is sweet, but RGB LED, I'll take $10 off to not have it lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkenietz View Post

Those things are nice, but imo they don't increase the value of the card that much. The dual bios would be cool if it were oc and uber oc, but it's quiet and oc. Imo should be quiet in either mode.the only rgb I know of on the card is the branding logo. And I've removed the fans on several cards without taking them fully apart. May be an exception rather than a rule but I don't see the big deal about that

Yeah, it was possible back then too. The removable fans isn't special, but it does simplify it more. Then agaiin, you still gotta get under the shround to clean out the dust from the HS fins.
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3225 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Where? I've tried finding one but most Nvidia 2nd hand sellers are crazy and want for 980Ti the same price a new 1070 sells for lol. Plus being a high end product the amount of 2nd hand offers is quite low, on top of that only 1080 and Titan XP beats 980Ti in performance, making 980Ti owners keep their cards and not sell them. Even on eBay they sell for ridiculous 400 EUR which is some 40 EUR less than a new 1070.

There are a 8 different auctions on eBay that will end in 7 hours, they're currently going for 275$ to 290$ and they're all 980Tis reference, if you're lucky you might snag one for 300$!

At this point so late in the game I think an AMD fury non X would be a better card though, I was blown away to see the Fury X beat the GTX 1080 on Doom with Vulkan when using Async Shaders (TSSAA X8), the Fury Non X should be 5-8% behind the Fury X making it much faster than a GTX 1070 on Vulkan games like Doom.

This late in the game AMD cards do tend to shine, and Nvidia doesn't have a good history of optimizing older architectures, especially now when DX12 and Vulkan are the APIs used for every game that's coming out now, be it at launch or a patch.

If I hadn't bought a 1070 G1 when it came out I'd be buying a Fury Non X right now, which by the way goes for cheaper, I've seen them sold as low as 280$!
post #3226 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

There are a 8 different auctions on eBay that will end in 7 hours, they're currently going for 275$ to 290$ and they're all 980Tis reference, if you're lucky you might snag one for 300$!

At this point so late in the game I think an AMD fury non X would be a better card though, I was blown away to see the Fury X beat the GTX 1080 on Doom with Vulkan when using Async Shaders (TSSAA X8), the Fury Non X should be 5-8% behind the Fury X making it much faster than a GTX 1070 on Vulkan games like Doom.

This late in the game AMD cards do tend to shine, and Nvidia doesn't have a good history of optimizing older architectures, especially now when DX12 and Vulkan are the APIs used for every game that's coming out now, be it at launch or a patch.

If I hadn't bought a 1070 G1 when it came out I'd be buying a Fury Non X right now, which by the way goes for cheaper, I've seen them sold as low as 280$!

There is no guarantee the performance is going to be there just because a few games now get nice "gains" on AMD. Unless you REALLY really enjoy Doom, then I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see proper DX12 games showing up much in the next year or so.
Computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.8Ghz Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 MSI Geforce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X G.Skill 16GB(2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSDs and HDDs Windows 10 x64 Pro Acer G7 G227HQLbi @75Hz EVGA 430w 
Case
Deepcool Frame 
  hide details  
Reply
Computer
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.8Ghz Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 MSI Geforce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X G.Skill 16GB(2x8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSDs and HDDs Windows 10 x64 Pro Acer G7 G227HQLbi @75Hz EVGA 430w 
Case
Deepcool Frame 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3227 of 3674
And i don't think propper games coming out this or next year will not be sporting DX12 or Vulkan. If they don't it's like they are already old and poorly codded. DX12 is out for more than an year now and Vulkan is said to not be too hard to be added if the game is already made with Dx12 in mind.
Home PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350  M5A99FX PRO R2.0 GTX 650 2x4GB DDR3 2400 mhz 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Several Thermalright Inferno IFX-14 + 2x ML 120's + 2x... Windows 10 Cooler Master B700 v.2 
  hide details  
Reply
Home PC
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350  M5A99FX PRO R2.0 GTX 650 2x4GB DDR3 2400 mhz 11-13-13-35 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Several Thermalright Inferno IFX-14 + 2x ML 120's + 2x... Windows 10 Cooler Master B700 v.2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3228 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttheslayer View Post

The 1080 should be at least 4x the performance 580
Yep.

GTX480 Vs GTX1080 = ~426%



http://www.hardware.fr/articles/948-11/fermi-vs-kepler-vs-maxwell-vs-pascal.html
post #3229 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

There is no guarantee the performance is going to be there just because a few games now get nice "gains" on AMD. Unless you REALLY really enjoy Doom, then I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see proper DX12 games showing up much in the next year or so.

No guarantees is right , you can only go off past history with the improvements drivers and support bring. We have Volta coming next year on 16 FF pascal will soon be on legacy support by NV.

History :
7970/280X vs GTX680. We know the story there. Even the 780 is losing now to 280x in some games / benches.
290X vs 780/780ti/980. The venerable hawai core with a mild oc which is granada just keeps on going. 290x owners must be smiling with every driver update.

DX12 will get more and more prominent as will vulkan.

I guess if you are buying a card for a year , 1060 not much risk there - performs great now in dx11 , dx12 titles and longer support go with rx480.
post #3230 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

There is no guarantee the performance is going to be there just because a few games now get nice "gains" on AMD. Unless you REALLY really enjoy Doom, then I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see proper DX12 games showing up much in the next year or so.

There are incredible developers on DICE and they have proven to care about their game optimizations, I personally believe Battlefield 1 will be as optimized if not more than Doom, Battlefield 1 is a game that do matter, so much for me and many other people that it's worth to upgrade our GPUs just for it, I did back in Battlefield 4 with a 290 with Mantle and if history repeats I will do it again with Battlefield 1 and DX12, and if the game make use of Async Shaders in any way then that will be a huge bonus, not a necessary one but a bonus no doubt.

Believing this, I can't stop recommending a Fury over a 980Ti this late in the game as I recommended the 980Ti over a Fury X early in the same game.

And let's be real, from now on how many games are coming up after this month without support for the new APIs?

If you want a GTX 980Ti for 6 months from now then yes, a 980Ti should be awesome, but if you want to buy a GPU for 1 year or more I can't recommend the 980Ti but a Fury in its place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread