Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD RX 480 Review Thread - Page 332

post #3311 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucdan View Post

Hey, they gotta justify the $30 increase over AIB MSRP with supposed "batching" and a measly 20 Mhz OC to core and 25 Mhz OC to memory that everyone can do with little effort! Lol. Just new methods of squeezing out every dollar with little to no gain.

I mean, see how every AIB is NOT releasing a regular spec'ed clocked 480 or a regular spec'ed clocked 470? I bet if they did, and gave us their AIB coolers, we could OC and get to the OC levels they offered and save $30, and even OC higher, easily. Of course, until there's legitimate batching like what's done with Nvidia cards in the MSI Lightning, or Kingpin line and equivalent, it's all bogus crap to squeeze us.

right, its a good thing that RX470 didn't have a reference design.
atm RX470 is priced more reasonably, the decent AIB cards are hovering around $200, about $20 more than MSRP.
if what i'd expect is correct, if RX470 lands here locally it'll be priced around $250, which is within my ideal budget.
post #3312 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

right, its a good thing that RX470 didn't have a reference design.
atm RX470 is priced more reasonably, the decent AIB cards are hovering around $200, about $20 more than MSRP.
if what i'd expect is correct, if RX470 lands here locally it'll be priced around $250, which is within my ideal budget.

No kidding. I think this will be the new thing, as it may already has been. AMD lists reference clocks, then AIBs just clock them 20 Mhz without breaking a sweat, then throw on a new cooler to charge much more. If it means paying 194.99 instead of 199.99, for stock clocks with a AIB cooler, I'll take it. That's money saved in the end. biggrin.gif

There is one card I'm looking at, and it's the new Gigabyte 470 G1. Not sure where you're located, but for reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125896

Small card (need 240mm, this is 232mm), looks better than the old G1 designs. Kinda hoping to see what the offer price for the 480 8GB version though. If anything, it might be $280 like Sapphire and Asus.

There's a deal with VISA checkout here for the site, $15 off $200, but of course, the card is $199.99 lol. It's almost as if VISA and Newegg are feeling sorry for us and wanting to help us pay regular AIB prices. /sarcasm
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3313 of 3674
a well designed RX470 even for $200 MSRP is worth it, at least its much better than a reference 4GB RX480 for $199 MSRP.
it would be great if we could get an 8GB RX470 for not much more, theoretically it'll be a lot cheaper than a reference 8GB RX480.


for the record, my local store sells a reference XFX 8GB RX480 for $300, seriously.
"look, cheap polaris cards are here!"buttkick.gif
Edited by epic1337 - 8/7/16 at 12:34pm
post #3314 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

a well designed RX470 even for $200 MSRP is worth it, at least its much better than a reference 4GB RX480 for $199 MSRP.
it would be great if we could get an 8GB RX470 for not much more, theoretically it'll be a lot cheaper than a reference 8GB RX480.

for the record, my local store sells a reference XFX 8GB RX480 for $300, seriously. "look, cheap polaris cards are here!" buttkick.gif

My reference 4GB RX480 unlocks to 8GB and can do 2200mhz on mem.

How is that worse than a 4GB 470 for the same price?
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3315 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

My reference 4GB RX480 unlocks to 8GB and can do 2200mhz on mem.

How is that worse than a 4GB 470 for the same price?

heat and noise? why else would we want a non-reference cooler for our cards?
plus power constraints if you want to remain within board spec.
post #3316 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

"look, cheap polaris cards are here!"buttkick.gif
They are cheap if you order 100 of them as a miner.
Of course getting 1 as a gamer from a retail shop is difficult frown.gif

I hope the AIBs will enjoy all those RMAs 6 months from now.
post #3317 of 3674
I wouldn't put too much hope into the 470 g1, i had the 1070 g1 and its just not as solidly built as the 970 g1 was, tried a zotac amp extreme 1070 and it was crazy good. Ended up returning it anyway though because of latency problems. This puts me back on the 970, and theres no reason to get a 480 as my 970 matches or exceeds it, so i'm stuck waiting on vega.

I know the benefits associated with non ref designs, but i'm contemplating doing a very small mini itx build with zen and vega, so i'll need a ref card for its blower. It is really gross seeing the price gouging on these "affordable" gpus. Miners are surely partly to blame, theres definitely a lot of demand and just not enough supply right now, well that and the fact that retailers are purposely marking it up even if there is stock.
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3318 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I wouldn't put too much hope into the 470 g1, i had the 1070 g1 and its just not as solidly built as the 970 g1 was, tried a zotac amp extreme 1070 and it was crazy good. Ended up returning it anyway though because of latency problems. This puts me back on the 970, and theres no reason to get a 480 as my 970 matches or exceeds it, so i'm stuck waiting on vega.

I know the benefits associated with non ref designs, but i'm contemplating doing a very small mini itx build with zen and vega, so i'll need a ref card for its blower. It is really gross seeing the price gouging on these "affordable" gpus. Miners are surely partly to blame, theres definitely a lot of demand and just not enough supply right now, well that and the fact that retailers are purposely marking it up even if there is stock.

Hmm, I will wait for reviews then.

The 480 Reference would've been perfect for me if my case was a bit longer. A blower style would've been perfect.
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
Mine
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790K AsRock Z97-E ITX Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB G Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX100 256 GB Thermalright AXP-200 Windows 10 Pro x64 Vizio P50-C1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Corsair 600W Lian Li Q-11 Logitech 
Mouse Pad
Cheap Soft Mousepad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3319 of 3674
blower style would've been perfect for 480 if it used a bigger heatsink, i mean really, whats up with that tiny heatsink?

VS

and thats while excluding the power constraints of the 6pin PCI-E, they could've used 8pin PCI-E and it would still be a 150W card.
post #3320 of 3674
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

blower style would've been perfect for 480 if it used a bigger heatsink, i mean really, whats up with that tiny heatsink?

VS

and thats while excluding the power constraints of the 6pin PCI-E, they could've used 8pin PCI-E and it would still be a 150W card.
Lower air resistance? It is pretty quiet at stock.
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › AMD RX 480 Review Thread