Originally Posted by LiamG6
very nice work, these blocks should be good, low restriction, plenty of surface area, should have low thermal resistance. Did you scrap that one because of the full size plenum making the channels too short? Or another reason? Just thought maybe you machined that base before our discussion re plenum and channels. Either way these blocks will be bada$$!
One thing that annoys me about those pumps is the config of inlet and outlet being opposite on each side. Would be nice if the 2 on the front were outlet and the 2 on the top were inlet, but it can't be done. It might actually be better to use the better performing single outlet and a "Y" fitting and plug the other outlet, depending on how it splits the flow/pressure out of each outlet, not sure how that will work using 2 outlets straight from the pump, whether the equal restriction of blocks/rads will cause each outlet to flow the same or if one won't work so well just because of the fluid dynamics. Have you got a flow meter or 2 so you can make sure each side is getting equal flow? Just need to test 1 pump and block to see how the outlets behave. I know there is usually a recommended outlet when 2 are available.
Haha funny you say that. I did all the blocks at the same time but that was my first block, and in the middle of machining it i noticed the pocket was larger that the two lanes the cutter cut. I mistakenly programmed off the first model, rather the second revised version we talked about! I quickly reprogrammed it to the second model and continued running blocks.
I don't know how these ports will work on the pump head, its just something i wanted to experiment with. It may react differently under different flow restrictions but i do plan to test each pump circuit. I had seen data on each set of ports being used but that was individual sets of the ports. I plan to do a pump flow test. Ill snag two 5 gallon pails, send each output to a pail, and measure the output over a minute or so. Yes i desperately need flow meters though haha
I believe the port options on this block were more intended to target flexibility of routing your hoses. Though i think it can also be used to reduce pump flow restriction, even if i have to run the three outputs to a junction that has two outputs, i could gain all that lack of restriction and evenly distribute it back out. Or maybe two of the ports will flow even enough. I just wont know until i get to test them