Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Polaris Bios Editing ( RX5xx / RX4xx )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polaris Bios Editing ( RX5xx / RX4xx ) - Page 122

post #1211 of 3323
Howdy...I posted a few days ago I think in the 480 owner thread with some questions and observations as I just got around to looking at seriously overclocking this card. I previously had 2 R9 290(x) RMA I received an R9 390, then other R9 290 was RME'ed last December and they sent me back the Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil.

Obviously I pretty familiar with the Hawaii Gpus...now Polaris is such a different beast in overclocking, while principles are the same I have noticed the RX 480 needs a lot more finesse in overclocking.

Been doing different overclocks and voltage looking for just the right spot.

I did do the "Red Mod" to the RX 480, I reused my Seidron 120 that I had previously had my R9 290/390. Once again just like Hawaii it was a straight bolt on, no other mods needed, and I have an old CPU fan blowing across the VRM.

My best and most stable so far overclock:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11504988

I have also created my own custom bios, mainly used the Unlocked bios that Powercolor released, as well as add UEFI back to the bios. Without the UEFI added back to my GPUs bios I would get hangs shutting down and sometimes on start up. It did not matter what my motherboards bios setting were set to. I don't get this fluke but it is what it is.

Now to my questions, 2 things seem to bother me...I have yet to really figure out what memory straps are the best. I tried the 1750 strap in place of the 2000 strap which let me push my Mem overclock higher but did not actually yield any increases in 3dmark.

My main question is while this bios and overclock are stable sometimes I after booting up (cold boot mainly) the memory will start throwing thousands and thousands of memory errors until I reboot. Once I reboot no errors.

(A side note since I am no longer in a crossfire set up, I found a use for one of my old GPUs I had laying around, as the I5 6600k HD 530 Igpu just sucked, so it is disabled, I put in my old XFX HD 7770 to run my additional monitors, which dropped my idle temps on Rx 480 from 32 to 25-26 since the memory is not locked to max speed. I do not actually game on my 2 other monitors but use them monitor stuff and browse while gaming.)
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1212 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai View Post

My main question is while this bios and overclock are stable sometimes I after booting up (cold boot mainly) the memory will start throwing thousands and thousands of memory errors until I reboot. Once I reboot no errors.

What you are experiencing there is your memory simply not able to handle the new timings. My RX Nitro OC has a wicked core, but memory controller / chips are ****. 2000mhz @ 1750 timings will works for ~1h, then start spitting millions of errors like you mention. If you want to test, without changing bios, simply set your memory to 1750 (or wherever your timings are set) and run a benchmark or two, you should notice that it's fine, and not throwing any errors.

Now, if you start generating errors before anything, then it won't matter, and no matter the speed you run your memory at, it'll simply not work well.

I've personally went back to stock timings, and am able to increase it to 2145 and only generate one error per few seconds, anything more and it'll generate millions of errors, and if high enough, crash the benchmark.

Hope this helps explain a bit your issue, it just so happens I am in the same boat, so I got to learn a bit from my recent experience.
post #1213 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb101 View Post

What you are experiencing there is your memory simply not able to handle the new timings. My RX Nitro OC has a wicked core, but memory controller / chips are ****. 2000mhz @ 1750 timings will works for ~1h, then start spitting millions of errors like you mention. If you want to test, without changing bios, simply set your memory to 1750 (or wherever your timings are set) and run a benchmark or two, you should notice that it's fine, and not throwing any errors.

Now, if you start generating errors before anything, then it won't matter, and no matter the speed you run your memory at, it'll simply not work well.

I've personally went back to stock timings, and am able to increase it to 2145 and only generate one error per few seconds, anything more and it'll generate millions of errors, and if high enough, crash the benchmark.

Hope this helps explain a bit your issue, it just so happens I am in the same boat, so I got to learn a bit from my recent experience.

Let me see if I can explain it. My settings only generate millions of errors on cold boots, if I restart then no errors at all. I am not sure if this is just one of these quarks with Relive etc.

I guess I should of mentioned I am bios overclocked 1400/2150.
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1214 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai View Post

Let me see if I can explain it. My settings only generate millions of errors on cold boots, if I restart then no errors at all. I am not sure if this is just one of these quarks with Relive etc.

I guess I should of mentioned I am bios overclocked 1400/2150.

Oh, very weird, and does this happen also on a stock bios / stock settings? That is very weird, mine only happens when putting a 3d load. Also, if you have a custom bios, it could be your memory controller really not liking extra voltage / timings if you have those changed.
post #1215 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai View Post

Let me see if I can explain it. My settings only generate millions of errors on cold boots, if I restart then no errors at all. I am not sure if this is just one of these quarks with Relive etc.

I guess I should of mentioned I am bios overclocked 1400/2150.
My guess would be that your memory overclock is only applied on cold boots and when you restart it somehow resets to stock. Other people reported a bug where memory overclock just wouldn't stick
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1216 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

My guess would be that your memory overclock is only applied on cold boots and when you restart it somehow resets to stock. Other people reported a bug where memory overclock just wouldn't stick

What I think is happening, is sometimes Wattman even though I do not use it applies the memory voltage from the driver not the bios and when I restart it then works fine. The memory speed remains the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb101 View Post

Oh, very weird, and does this happen also on a stock bios / stock settings? That is very weird, mine only happens when putting a 3d load. Also, if you have a custom bios, it could be your memory controller really not liking extra voltage / timings if you have those changed.

No it does not happen on stock. It seems as sometimes no matter what wattman resets the memory voltage back to 1000 instead of the value I have entered in polaris bios editor of 1150. The other odd thing is it does not always throw memory errors on cold boots.
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1217 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai View Post

What I think is happening, is sometimes Wattman even though I do not use it applies the memory voltage from the driver not the bios and when I restart it then works fine. The memory speed remains the same.
No it does not happen on stock. It seems as sometimes no matter what wattman resets the memory voltage back to 1000 instead of the value I have entered in polaris bios editor of 1150. The other odd thing is it does not always throw memory errors on cold boots.
It's the IMC, not VRAM voltage and personally I haven't noticed any difference in stability when I overvolting. What's odd is that you don't see a performance difference with overclocking RAM.
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1218 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

It's the IMC, not VRAM voltage and personally I haven't noticed any difference in stability when I overvolting. What's odd is that you don't see a performance difference with overclocking RAM.

I mean yeah I know it the memory IMC. I just assumed that was understood since we do not have software access to the actual memory voltage but only the the memory IMC..I could of been more clear...I am not seeing expected performance once I get above 2150.
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel 6600k
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Skylake I5 6600K Asus Z170-A Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil G.Skill Ripjaw V 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD and Various Sata Corsair H110i GT Win 10 1x 29, 2x24 plus TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Lux EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX... Thermaltake Tower 900 Logitech G502 Proteus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1219 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrai View Post

I mean yeah I know it the memory IMC...I could of been more clear...I am not seeing expected performance once I get above 2150.
Performance increase seems to stall after a certain number of memory errors starts to pop up.
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1220 of 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Performance increase seems to stall after a certain number of memory errors starts to pop up.

Same as me, I get much better results / luck with 1000mv to the memory controller. Not sure why they allow to raise it (even in wattman), because it has caused nothing but issues. For me at least.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Polaris Bios Editing ( RX5xx / RX4xx )