Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte z170 HD3P fan control?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte z170 HD3P fan control?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone!

So I've got my new system set up but I'm struggling to control the fans, I've read that you can control PWM fans with software called speed fan but for some reason it doesn't seem to detect my fans?

I'm using the 8 fan splitter that came with my swiftech unit which is plugged into my CPU fan header but with the pump plugged into a seperate header since I don't want to reduce the voltage to that.

The fans that came with my 750d also only have 3 pins which means they're not able to be controlled by pwm?

Is there a way for me to just set my fan speeds with traditional voltage control rather than PWM or how should I go about this, I'd really appreciate your advice because my system is way too loud right now...

Thank you!
Edited by Pegasus - 7/1/16 at 1:51am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
You can control 3 pin fans with the likes of one of these http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml
They are super cheap and do a good job, I'm running 3 in my current system.


And as for setting fan speeds you shouldn't have a problem setting a custom speed through the bios, I haven't used a Giga board in a long time but I would imagine by now you should be able to set a curve.
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

You can control 3 pin fans with the likes of one of these http://www.deepcool.com/product/dcoolingaccessory/accessory/2013-12/48_663.shtml
They are super cheap and do a good job, I'm running 3 in my current system.


And as for setting fan speeds you shouldn't have a problem setting a custom speed through the bios, I haven't used a Giga board in a long time but I would imagine by now you should be able to set a curve.

I only managed to play around with the bios settings a little bit before I had to go into work but from what I could tell changing the PWM settings in the bios didn't seem to be turning anything down that's why I'm trying to go down the software route instead, that thing is the same as this?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-commander-fp-10-port-fan-splitter-hub-for-pwm-fans

I don't understand though because it's for PWM not DC control? So how will it control 3 pin none PWM compatible fans? This whole PWM thing is just confusing me to be honest...
Edited by Pegasus - 7/1/16 at 2:18am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post

I only managed to play around with the bios settings a little bit before I had to go into work but from what I could tell changing the PWM settings in the bios didn't seem to be turning anything down that's why I'm trying to go down the software route instead, that thing is the same as this?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-commander-fp-10-port-fan-splitter-hub-for-pwm-fans

I don't understand though because it's for PWM not DC control? So how will it control 3 pin none PWM compatible fans? This whole PWM thing is just confusing me to be honest...

I can't find too much direct info on it but it looks like it should work just fine.


I'm not the best person to ask about the 3 vs 4 pin differences but as far as I am aware
The 4th pin is purely for speed control and allows 4 pin fans to run at lower speeds without stalling,
If you put a 3 pin into a standard 4 pin motherboard header you cannot adjust speed at all(?) Unless it is run through a PWM hub.


I don't particularly know why the bios would not be able to adjust the fans via is PWM settings if they are all 4 pin.. or connected to your hub.


Edit: as for software, there isn't any other than speedfan that I am aware of that isn't specific to a certain manufacturer (example: asus fanxpert)


Edit 2: I just installed speedfan... doesn't register any of my fans either :S
Edited by cainy1991 - 7/1/16 at 2:31am
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

I can't find too much direct info on it but it looks like it should work just fine.


I'm not the best person to ask about the 3 vs 4 pin differences but as far as I am aware
The 4th pin is purely for speed control and allows 4 pin fans to run at lower speeds without stalling,
If you put a 3 pin into a standard 4 pin motherboard header you cannot adjust speed at all(?) Unless it is run through a PWM hub.


I don't particularly know why the bios would not be able to adjust the fans via is PWM settings if they are all 4 pin.. or connected to your hub.


Edit: as for software, there isn't any other than speedfan that I am aware of that isn't specific to a certain manufacturer (example: asus fanxpert)

Hmm that gave me a thought so I looked into it and there's gigabyte software for controlling the fans called system information viewer so I'll give that a try, if that doesn't work I think I'm going to buy this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-gridplus-v2-digital-fan-controller-with-6-fan-ports-cam-software-controlled-compact-black-desig

It looks like exactly what I need!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post

Hmm that gave me a thought so I looked into it and there's gigabyte software for controlling the fans called system information viewer so I'll give that a try, if that doesn't work I think I'm going to buy this: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/nzxt-gridplus-v2-digital-fan-controller-with-6-fan-ports-cam-software-controlled-compact-black-desig

It looks like exactly what I need!


Rather nice looking controller too biggrin.gif

Well good luck man hopefully the software works out, if not looks like you have a nice backup plan.
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New(old) build
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3 1231-V3 gigabyte GA-H97N GTX 1060 G-skill lifetime 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x WD green 1x ocz agility SSD  Modded deepcool Gammaxx Windows 8.1 with classic shell for games. 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Fedora KDE for everything else.  Yamakasi catleap q270 Gamdias hermes ultimate  EVGA G2 750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Core V1 G303 - Hand cancer edition.  goliathus  AKG k240  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte z170 HD3P fan control?