Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › Intel I219V vs Killer E2201
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Intel I219V vs Killer E2201

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm building my new pc and i'm stuck on this part for the Motherboard choice,

Somebody got any experience with both NIC's and can recommend one of the two?
post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 
Mostly used for Gaming (CS.GO)
post #3 of 9
Isn't the killer realtek based? Intel is always the best choice. If they're both intel based though, then not sure.
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
Killer is Qualcomm AFAIK

Got KIller on my MSI Z87-G45 and its flawless

Otherwise Intel is always a safe bet
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

Killer is Qualcomm AFAIK

Got KIller on my MSI Z87-G45 and its flawless

Otherwise Intel is always a safe bet

You're right. A little searching shows that Killer is using Qualcomm. Intel is better.

Intel is basically the best NICs you can get. They use larger chips which allow for more on-board buffer size etc.
This means they don't need massive drivers to do all the heavy lifting (which is extra work on your cpu). Intel just works. You don't need to mess around all day with drivers and weird issues. Intel as a result of the build design has higher throughput. Realtek is one of the worst mainstream nics because it requires massive drivers to make up for the fact that the chips are small and bare minimum, which allows them to drop manufacturing and production costs. Qualcomm Killer is likely better than realtek in that aspect, but it doesn't touch intel. The Killer still requires all of this extra software and drivers to do everything.

Another result of this is that OS like Linux/FreeBSD work better with intel because they don't have all the driver issues to deal with like a realtek.


Fact is. Intel has higher throughput and less cpu usage. Intel is typically always the winner when compared to non-intel nics. They don't need all the garbage drivers and utilities. There is a reason servers only use high-end intel nics.
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post

You're right. A little searching shows that Killer is using Qualcomm. Intel is better.

Intel is basically the best NICs you can get. They use larger chips which allow for more on-board buffer size etc.
This means they don't need massive drivers to do all the heavy lifting (which is extra work on your cpu). Intel just works. You don't need to mess around all day with drivers and weird issues. Intel as a result of the build design has higher throughput. Realtek is one of the worst mainstream nics because it requires massive drivers to make up for the fact that the chips are small and bare minimum, which allows them to drop manufacturing and production costs. Qualcomm Killer is likely better than realtek in that aspect, but it doesn't touch intel. The Killer still requires all of this extra software and drivers to do everything.

Another result of this is that OS like Linux/FreeBSD work better with intel because they don't have all the driver issues to deal with like a realtek.


Fact is. Intel has higher throughput and less cpu usage. Intel is typically always the winner when compared to non-intel nics. They don't need all the garbage drivers and utilities. There is a reason servers only use high-end intel nics.

I partially agree, specifically you are right that Intel has wider compatibility and is very stable. I also agree that realtek is bottom of the barrel when it comes to LAN. Qualcomm however has extensive knowledge when it comes to various networking and transmission technologies.

The generic Qualcomm/Killer driver only install is ~25.9MB (http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads/standard-drivers)

The generic Win 10 driver only install for the I219V is 25.6MB for 32bit and 39.27MB for x64 found here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10). Same for Win 7

Keep in mind that the Qualcomm driver download is for both x32 and x64. It also has all windows versions included (7/8/10). Qualcomm has some additional software to compliment the drivers and I cant comment on them as I dont use them, and bear in mind they are not required.

While not the same Killer model the OP mentions, this review seems pretty unbiased and shows that both Intel and Killer have ups and downs vs each other. Basically the gist is that Intel had better CPU usage while Killer had better latency.

I have the Intel I217V on my server and the Killer e2205 on my Desktop. Honestly both just work and neither ever has an issue. They work like a NIC should...out of sight out of mind.

@OP, can you list the 2 motherboards you are trying to pick between, its very possible that there are much more important factors that would help decide between them other than which LAN chipset.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0CoolX View Post

I partially agree, specifically you are right that Intel has wider compatibility and is very stable. I also agree that realtek is bottom of the barrel when it comes to LAN. Qualcomm however has extensive knowledge when it comes to various networking and transmission technologies.

The generic Qualcomm/Killer driver only install is ~25.9MB (http://www.killernetworking.com/product-support/driver-downloads/standard-drivers)

The generic Win 10 driver only install for the I219V is 25.6MB for 32bit and 39.27MB for x64 found here (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10). Same for Win 7

Keep in mind that the Qualcomm driver download is for both x32 and x64. It also has all windows versions included (7/8/10). Qualcomm has some additional software to compliment the drivers and I cant comment on them as I dont use them, and bear in mind they are not required.

While not the same Killer model the OP mentions, this review seems pretty unbiased and shows that both Intel and Killer have ups and downs vs each other. Basically the gist is that Intel had better CPU usage while Killer had better latency.

I have the Intel I217V on my server and the Killer e2205 on my Desktop. Honestly both just work and neither ever has an issue. They work like a NIC should...out of sight out of mind.

@OP, can you list the 2 motherboards you are trying to pick between, its very possible that there are much more important factors that would help decide between them other than which LAN chipset.

Size of driver doesn't directly equal CPU load. Intel based nic WILL load your CPU less than a qualcomm killer. Or any Qualcomm really. Intel can also have additional software to compliment it, just like the Qualcomm killer does. In fact, the main selling point that the Killer keeps chasing is this QoS packet management software they bundle it with, but in reality Intel nics can do the same. Perfect example is GameFirst IV that is provided with ASUS boards for their onboard Intel nics.

As you said though, both should be fine for what I'm assuming is a gaming system. If really the only last question between two boards is the Nic, I would take the Intel in a heart beat. But I too would also guess there are more important decisions to question between the two.
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post

Size of driver doesn't directly equal CPU load. Intel based nic WILL load your CPU less than a qualcomm killer. Or any Qualcomm really. Intel can also have additional software to compliment it, just like the Qualcomm killer does. In fact, the main selling point that the Killer keeps chasing is this QoS packet management software they bundle it with, but in reality Intel nics can do the same. Perfect example is GameFirst IV that is provided with ASUS boards for their onboard Intel nics.

As you said though, both should be fine for what I'm assuming is a gaming system. If really the only last question between two boards is the Nic, I would take the Intel in a heart beat. But I too would also guess there are more important decisions to question between the two.

I only mentioned the size of the zips because you mentioned the size of the drivers:

"This means they don't need massive drivers to do all the heavy lifting (which is extra work on your cpu)."

Intel doesn't have lower load because of the driver size (evidenced by Qualcomms drivers being smaller). While the Qualcomm driver has a heavier load on the CPU the result is lower latencies. Maybe on a budget Celeron/Atom CPU the CPU load is a concern, but on most modern CPU's this has be be negligible. The load issue could be counter acted by getting a better CPU (not that I feel its drastic enough to justify) but there is no change outside of the LAN chip that will make latency better.

I do however agree with you that in a business setting the higher end Intel dedicated NIC's are in a league of their own. I think at the consumer level Intel and Qualcomm are pretty even. Personally for me many other things between 2 boards would matter more than the NIC that are also not major things but to me matter more like brand, warranty, capacitors, inputs/outputs, arrangement of the board, return policy, even appearance.

In any case our differing views will hopefully give the OP food for thought. So Thanks
post #9 of 9
Sounds like an Asrock comparison between an oc formula and fatality gaming z170.

Both good boards but the overclocking features would be more useful in my opinion.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-750 4.3@1.375v Asus Maximus III Formula Asus ENGTX465 4gb G Skill 2000 Mhz.Trident @2133 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ VERTEX 2 50GB SSD/WD 500GB Blue/WD640GB Black Samsung DVD/RW Corsair H-50 Windows 10 home 64 Bit Retail 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 24"1080P LED Asus VE248H Abs M1 Cooler master silent pro 600 modular M600 RS-60... Lian Li Lancool PCK-58 
MouseMouse Pad
Steelseries Kinzu no 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Network Hardware
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Network Hardware › Intel I219V vs Killer E2201