Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Apps Won't Start After Making A Few Changes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows Apps Won't Start After Making A Few Changes - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire152003 View Post

It just doesn't make sense that I can link the same files back to the original location and they fail to run. It works fine for everything else and has always worked in Windows 7 when there was no apps. I'm thinking it might be a permissions issue. I tried playing around with different permission settings based on some info I found online, but nothing worked. I was hoping someone who better understood how WindowsApps and Permissions worked would have some input.

Good luck, I've been looking for a fix for a long time. According to everyone running CMD and admin and running "powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml" without the quotes should fix it but it doesn't. only thing that I know that will fix it is doing a fresh install of windows.
post #12 of 20
Windows 10 has this built into it under storage. You can change the drive certain files and such save to. Go to all settings, system, storage.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Hydro Series™ H110i 280mm Extreme Performance L... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... 
AudioOtherOther
Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz LGA... ASUS X99-A LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB... EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING, 11GB GDDR... CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DD... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Corsair Force LS Series CSSD-F240GBLS 2.5" 240G... Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB... Hydro Series™ H110i 280mm Extreme Performance L... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro ASUS ROG MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz Corsair Gaming K70 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboa... CORSAIR HXi 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATI... 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW Whit... Corsair Gaming M65 RGB Laser Gaming Mouse - White Corsair Gaming MM300 Anti-Fray Cloth Gaming Mou... Audioengine A2+ Premium Powered Desktop Speaker... 
AudioOtherOther
Corsair Gaming VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset - White CableMod WideBeam Magnetic LED Strip RGB Kit - ... CableMod C-Series AXi, HXi & RM Cable Kit - Bla... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfallx View Post

Good luck, I've been looking for a fix for a long time. According to everyone running CMD and admin and running "powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml" without the quotes should fix it but it doesn't. only thing that I know that will fix it is doing a fresh install of windows.

Everything I've been trying to do is on a clean setup. I've reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times trying out different things along way to accomplish the setup I was hoping for. I don't understand why Microsoft just won't let you have control over where your default installation path is? I'm probably going to end up dual booting into Linux and using that for as many of my tasks as I can, I'm getting sick of Windows.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire152003 View Post


Everything I've been trying to do is on a clean setup. I've reinstalled Windows 10 multiple times trying out different things along way to accomplish the setup I was hoping for. I don't understand why Microsoft just won't let you have control over where your default installation path is? I'm probably going to end up dual booting into Linux and using that for as many of my tasks as I can, I'm getting sick of Windows.

 

Why not instead just have everything on the solid state drive (as the OS drive), and then what doesn't fit, you put onto a mechanical drive? There is no risk of the drive slowing down and all you'd be doing is maximizing your customer's performance. You want everything to be on the solid state drive, or at least as much as will fit. The lowest priority stuff goes to the hard drive. They won't need a 2 TB solid state drive for this. Like I said, 250-500 GB is more than enough for most people.

It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Why not instead just have everything on the solid state drive (as the OS drive), and then what doesn't fit, you put onto a mechanical drive? There is no risk of the drive slowing down and all you'd be doing is maximizing your customer's performance. You want everything to be on the solid state drive, or at least as much as will fit. The lowest priority stuff goes to the hard drive. They won't need a 2 TB solid state drive for this. Like I said, 250-500 GB is more than enough for most people.

Yeah I guess I don't have much of choice. I'll just move the Users folders and leave it at that. Thanks for the help!
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire152003 View Post


Yeah I guess I don't have much of choice. I'll just move the Users folders and leave it at that. Thanks for the help!

 

Why even do that?

It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Why even do that?

Because I have a 250GB SSD and over 500GB of music alone. That's why I have a 2TB drive as the D: drive.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire152003 View Post


Because I have a 250GB SSD and over 500GB of music alone. That's why I have a 2TB drive as the D: drive.

 

Yeah, but how many of your customers have the same storage needs as you? So far, it sounds to me like you think everyone uses their computer in the same ways you do. I have two 250 GB solid state drives, and between them including Windows 7, I'm only using a grand total of 360 GB, and I don't even really need everything that I have. So, who knows how much space I could free up by just getting rid of everything I don't need? Y'know?

 

My parents have just one 250 GB hard drive, and they're barely using a quarter of it.

 

A few short years ago, I had two 64 GB solid state drives and that was plenty for me. Actually, it was a 60 GB drive and a 64 GB drive, but still.


Edited by TwoCables - 7/12/16 at 1:31pm
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Yeah, but how many of your customers have the same storage needs as you? So far, it sounds to me like you think everyone uses their computer in the same ways you do. I have two 250 GB solid state drives, and between them including Windows 7, I'm only using a grand total of 360 GB, and I don't even really need everything that I have. So, who knows how much space I could free up by just getting rid of everything I don't need? Y'know?

My parents have just one 250 GB hard drive, and they're barely using a quarter of it.

A few short years ago, I had two 64 GB solid state drives and that was plenty for me. Actually, it was a 60 GB drive and a 64 GB drive, but still.

You're right, majority of people won't have anywhere near my needs. It was also just a big learning experience for me. I invested so much time into figuring this out just to have one problem screw it all up. I used this method on at least 30+ Windows 7 machines and they ran perfectly, so I didn't want give up figuring it was still possible and that someone who was more skilled than I knew the missing piece to running this configuration.
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire152003 View Post


You're right, majority of people won't have anywhere near my needs. It was also just a big learning experience for me. I invested so much time into figuring this out just to have one problem screw it all up. I used this method on at least 30+ Windows 7 machines and they ran perfectly, so I didn't want give up figuring it was still possible and that someone who was more skilled than I knew the missing piece to running this configuration.

 

Oh, I see. Yeah, you wanted to be able to do it without thinking about it, but instead now you have to do things in a new way.

 

To be extremely honest, if I had a business like yours, then I would only do this for people who request it because it has a potential for confusing the hell out of certain people for why things aren't working in the way they expected. Or what if they go on forums asking for help and everyone's assuming they have a normal/common setup and everyone just ends up confused until the customer finally checks with you and learns what you did. Or something like that.

 

To even more honest, I still wouldn't do it because it's not beneficial for any reason that I can see. Not these days.

It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS) 3 TB Toshiba P300 (storage) Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate Basic, but premium round 
AudioAudio
X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Windows Apps Won't Start After Making A Few Changes