Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D]Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Guru3D]Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro - Page 70

post #691 of 860
Anyone have a board shot of the Gigabyte? Trying to find the best non-ref card
post #692 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Anyone have a board shot of the Gigabyte? Trying to find the best non-ref card
Any of them that you can actually buy right now for less than $249. Which is none like that exist.
post #693 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Any of them that you can actually buy right now for less than $249. Which is none like that exist.

Reference MSRP is $239 right(8GB)? I may be mistaken but weren't the custom PCBs expected to be about $30-40 over reference? The pricing doesn't seem unreasonable to me for custom PCB+coolers.
post #694 of 860
to me anything up to ~$280 for either 1060 or 8GB 480 is a fair price so long as it has a good quiet cooler
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
The Green Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770K @ 4500 Mhz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SSD Crucial M550 500GB SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB HDD Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Xilence X5 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Acer Predator XB271HU 27" IPS Gsync 1440p 165Hz CM Storm QuickFire XT Cherry Red 800W modular 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum SteelSeries QcK+ 4mm SK Gaming Realtek On-board 
  hide details  
Reply
post #695 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post

yeah the 5820k has a 140 watt tdp but usually under loads like heaven its not taxed enough to reach its full tdp even if its set to run at 3.3ghz 24/7 with manual voltage.

i can understand 200 - 220 for the oc version but i hope the non-oc version draws less. much less than that.

Actually I think those figures in that review are wonky.

I would trust TPU more, and in their review of the ASUS Strix 480 they rated power draw while gaming at 177W and max draw while gaming as only 180W. Nitro must be similar.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_480_STRIX_OC/21.html

This is only 20W more than a reference 970 and perhaps less than 10W more than a custom 970.
post #696 of 860
Also, this from KitGuru's review today puts the power consumption from the wall as very low:

post #697 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

I honestly blame you for that one. That's a cheap motherboard. Any brand's cheap products will compromise on some things. You'd be hard pressed to find unhappy MSI customers who purchase their high-end models ($150+ mobos and gaming X / lightning graphics cards).

I mean, i hope you're not using that $80 MSI mobo as reference for comparison with your high-end Asus mobo. That would be just disingenuous.

I've had plenty of cheaper mobos before the MSI one, MSI alone is well documented to have VRM issues, cheaper motherboards wouldn't have broken from the likes of other brands. Sure you can get a lemon from other brands, but MSI has horrifying quality controls and well documented on OCN, look up VRM failures on this forum
Titanus
(12 items)
 
LS-FX2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 970A-G46 (MS-7693) AMD R9 290 G.Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Yes 24 Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional Gs90 series Microsoft sidewinder Tx750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza solano 1000 Logitech G500 Starcraft 2 "Zerg Rush" mousepad 2.1 "average" system 
Other
Blue Yeti Microphone 
GraphicsMonitorKeyboardCase
gt 320 13 inch built-in apple alluminum unibody 
Mouse
apple trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
Titanus
(12 items)
 
LS-FX2
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD K15 970A-G46 (MS-7693) AMD R9 290 G.Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.Skill Yes 24 Stock 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Professional Gs90 series Microsoft sidewinder Tx750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Azza solano 1000 Logitech G500 Starcraft 2 "Zerg Rush" mousepad 2.1 "average" system 
Other
Blue Yeti Microphone 
GraphicsMonitorKeyboardCase
gt 320 13 inch built-in apple alluminum unibody 
Mouse
apple trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #698 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buris View Post

I've had plenty of cheaper mobos before the MSI one, MSI alone is well documented to have VRM issues, cheaper motherboards wouldn't have broken from the likes of other brands. Sure you can get a lemon from other brands, but MSI has horrifying quality controls and well documented on OCN, look up VRM failures on this forum
All posts take me to a very specific period of time during which some MSI motherboards were failing, troubles which seem to have been behind them for a long time.

Do you have non-normative statistics that prove MSI producst are, now, failing more than other quality brands'? Because if you're extrapolating from a very specific case onto the rest, it'd be like saying all AMD cards are well documented to fry PCI-e slots and Nvidia cards are well documented to have a crapton of DPC latency.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.5 GHz 1.3v Asus Z170i MSI 980Ti 1490/7760 MHz G.skill DDR4 8 GB x2 3733 MHz 15-15-15-35-1 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB Crucial M4 256 GB NH-C14S Windows 10 Student 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
TBD Cooler Master Quick Fire TK Corsair SF600 Fractal Core 500 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Zowie EC2-A Zowie G TF-X Fiio E17 v1 Sennheiser HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #699 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post

Actually I think those figures in that review are wonky.

I would trust TPU more, and in their review of the ASUS Strix 480 they rated power draw while gaming at 177W and max draw while gaming as only 180W. Nitro must be similar.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/RX_480_STRIX_OC/21.html

This is only 20W more than a reference 970 and perhaps less than 10W more than a custom 970.

Man after seeing the temps in that strix review i wouldnt want that card. While they didnt say the fan speed, they did mention that the gaming noise was high. And it only cooled about 8 extra Celsius compared to the nitro. 68 vs 75c, for 33% more fan and heatsink imo that pretty mediocre.

I guess that really does prove how much not having a cold plate on the heatsink makes.
post #700 of 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post

All posts take me to a very specific period of time during which some MSI motherboards were failing, troubles which seem to have been behind them for a long time.

Do you have non-normative statistics that prove MSI producst are, now, failing more than other quality brands'? Because if you're extrapolating from a very specific case onto the rest, it'd be like saying all AMD cards are well documented to fry PCI-e slots and Nvidia cards are well documented to have a crapton of DPC latency.

Well if you changed "AMD cards" to "ref RX 480 cards" and "nVidia cards" to "Pascal cards" then that statement would actually be true. :troll:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Guru3D]Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro