Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Tech4Gamers] AMD Radeon RX 460 for $99 and the Radeon RX 470 for $149
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Tech4Gamers] AMD Radeon RX 460 for $99 and the Radeon RX 470 for $149 - Page 47

post #461 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

Well, if you would do your research...

RX 470's without 8-pin can usually overclock without throwing the PCIe out of spec. They are 4+1 designs with memory and 1/4 of the core on the PCIe, the other 3/4 of the core power is sourced through the 6 pin which is good fro 150w. 1060 overclock percentage is pretty bad as well. At stock they can boost to over 1700 and they only clock to ~2000. RX 470 starts at 1200 and can usually clock up to the high 1300 or low 1400 range, which is about the same as a percentage (15% or so).

With newer API's the RX series does catch up to the 1060/1050 Ti, and blows it away in a few select games. Only time will tell which is better going forward.

1060 3gb shows higher frame time variance than any 4gb card with comparable settings, which is a killer for competitive gaming. There are competitive games out now that can hit 2gb on low texture settings. I also have a feeling that the people that are arguing that 3gb is enough are the same people who said 4gb was not enough.

1) I was just referring to the RX480, as the RX470 consumes less power and actually can meet the 150w TDP even on the 6 pin.

2) The variance is only there for these very graphically intensive games at max settings- which aren't used for competative gaming anyways. (and even still, there needs to be a study done on how much it would even matter, since the variance isn't huge).
Competitive gaming games have far less intensive graphical requirements so it's unlikely the problems from these games would carry over to stuff like CSGO, LoL, SC2, or Overwatch.

3) I don't know who these people are, but I've never liked cards with tons of VRAM - they've been a marketing gimmick for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

1 & 2. Actually all the aib cards suffer from it. There is even a thread about a new BIOS for the 480 (not sure about the 470) that get rid of cards with better board power design, but bad BIOS. On the fone, so I'm afraid you'll have to search, but that shouldn't be a problem and the thread is still active until last few days in AMD sub forum.
3. I've been tracking prices of those cards for last few months in my region as well as the general market around here and the Government X 1060 3GB are expensive for what I want to pay sometimes competing with the RX480 8GB aib cards. The rx480's being expensive for what I paid for the x80 level card a few years back also does not do the rx480 or the GtX 1060 any favors but if I were to get a card now out of those two, the 1060 would be my last of the preferences.

I'll have to look into that BIOS and power issue some more.

Yeh, you're right about the 1060 AIBs. The 1060 X 3GBs are overpriced and terrible deals compared to RX480 8GBs. If it was between the 1060-3GB AIB or a RX480-8GB at a comparable price point, the RX480 8GB would be superior.
post #462 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robenger View Post


Is trolling what you do when you run out of excuses?

You were talking pretty big before I showed you reviews from 4 other websites that supported by statement.
post #463 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

I do not think bilingualism is that much better. 3+ is the minimum these days, the bare minimum..
Incorrect. You say "I do not give such absolutes" later, but this is clearly an untrue absolute.

Quality matters more than quantity. Some languages are far more useful than others. The dominant languages of the 21st century will be English, Mandarin, Arabic, and Spanish. Learning those languages would be far more useful than learning several languages of smaller nations of Europe, Asia, or Africa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

Unfortunately, it seems that English speaking reviewers do not have the ability to do long term over time GPU analysis or VRAM measurements. For some strange reason it is always on launch day and nothing else that matters. Meanwhile it is left to others to actually do big long term reviews. The site is however saying - stay away from 3GB of VRAM. Same way EN sites used repeatable GTA V benches and forgot that in the real game, rain affects VRAM usage... they just do not go in depth with the actual games.....
Then you are not very familiar enough with English speaking reviews. Plenty of reviews re-review graphics cards after significant new drivers or new iterations. Techpowerup, as a very basic example, uploads new benchmarks of older cards with new drivers when comparing them to newer cards - you'll see fps increases in the same game/same settings for the same card as you progress in timeline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

Call of Duty sells more than WItcher 3 or STALKER and is (sadly) marketed towards Muricans, yet I do not care for it at all. It is junk these days frown.gif . And I am not from Germany......
Witcher 3 is marketed towards Americans too. Most games include marketing towards Americans because that is still the world's largest (and most profitable) gaming market. Comparing COD to Witcher 3 is nonsense because COD is a fast paced fps genre and W3 is an RPG. You could've at least compared W3 to Skyrim or the Elder Scrolls series where it draws some influences. And the developers of the Witcher series worked with American companies such as Bioware and Interplay to bring American RPGs to Europe. They based their later games on Blizzard's Diablo. The Witcher series and their devs were influenced by American games, and the Witcher series contained plenty of elements to help it sell in the American market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

You are claiming on what should happen, not I:
"Get a GTX1060 6GB. It costs the same as the RX480 8GB."
I do not give such absolutes. However a 3GB GPU is useless less it is very cheap or low end. That is just a fact. Recommend the 6GB GTX 1060, I do that as well. The 3GB one should be avoided at all costs less the person will upgrade for SURE in 1 year. And nothing is certain in this world but death and taxes.

You claim you do not give an absolute, yet you just gave an absolute similar to what I did. The RX470 of any variant should be avoided at all cost when it is priced near a GTX1060 3GB, because it gets DESTROYED in basically every benchmark. You claim the GTX1060 3GB is useless, but since this card beats the RX470 at everything and beats the RX480 4GB reference at most things, that would mean the RX470 and RX480 are worse than useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

Essentially you are doing some people a disservice with this 3GB nonsense. It is a good thing I did not listen to people like you back in 2009 with my ATI 5770... that is my problem.
What you're doing is falling for a marketing gimmick of companies including so much VRAM on cards that can't possibly use them, or using VRAM as a way to cover up other inadequacies. Do you advocate getting a GTX750Ti with 2GB of VRAM? Or 1GB on a 9500GT? What is a disservice is AMD putting 4GB of a RX460 or 8GB on a RX470. That is a MARKETING GIMMICK designed to waste your money.
The 5770 performs exactly the same as a 4870 1GB and GTX260. Have you taken a look at its benchmarks and 4870 benchmarks? It is far too weak to use all of its VRAM properly. It performs the same as 4870 512mb and 512mb variants in everything. At higher resolutions where VRAM would be useful, both 1GB and 512mb variants get UNPLAYABLE framerates in games because the GPU itself is too weak. GPU core power bottleneck is far more important than VRAM bottleneck.
The only scenario where you'll see any benefits in a 5770 1GB would be crossfire, which had plenty of compatibility issues too. And don't forget the GTX460 with only 768mb of VRAM performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 5770 1GB. A card with less VRAM but far more GPU core power like the GTX460 768 would have lasted logner and aged better than your 5770 1GB.
You're doing a disservice by ignoring the problem of GPU core bottleneck while overemphasizing VRAM bottleneck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

"Most people aren't running games with mods that use huge texture packs either. That makes your "MOD" argument just as irrelevant as my overclocking argument."
The problem is that if some people do not care for mods then they do not care for games (since some games are effectively standalone games and/or expansion packs) in the first place. Something most console gamers can not understand for some reason, but I hope you can.
That is untrue. Plenty of people play games without using mods. In fact, the majority of people who play PC games are probably NOT installing mods. And not all games are mod-friendly either.
Stand alone games and mods are not the same thing. Mods are 3rd party or post-launch add ons that were not a part of the original game. Playing PC games is simple - you download/install and play. Adding mods adds a layer of complexity that most people will not do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcharo View Post

As for the PSU... I don't think 30 watts during gaming really matter even for the choice of PSU. If it were 60 or 80 or more... I could see some logic in that. Heat and Noise are unfortunately tied to how good of a cooler is used and the PCB. For example, even the Power Hog R9 390s with their 230+ watts (for the PCS, more for others) are cool and quiet with the over-engineered coolers they have. Since Nvidia requires less it also gets lesser cooling solutions. But even so these are minute 30 watt differences. Undervolting for advanced users, FRTC for the newbies can do the job.
The GTX1060 uses ~120watts, and the factory OCed versions such as EVGA SCs use negligibily more watts. The reference RX480 uses ~160watts, or ~150 watts after the patch. However, Pascal is far more efficent in overclocking, whereas Polaris scales badly in power consumption. RX480 AIB-factory OCed cards use nearly 200watts. But Nvidia has far less idle and multi-monitor consumption too - so much so that many 1060s allow 0% fan speed.
The reference coolers on reference AMD RX400 cards are unfortunately junk. The reference coolers on reference 1060s (reference in terms of MSRP pricing at least), 3GB and 6GBs are decent and remain cool and quiet.
Edited by Bluescreendeath - 9/30/16 at 3:04pm
post #464 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

And they did a review/comparison of Doom Nightmare settings - it's really not that impressive.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52122/dooms-nightmare-graphics-setting-requires-insane-5gb-vram/index.html
You need to learn the difference between quoting yourself and repeating yourself. I repeated myself because he missed the previous links I posted that reviewed the overclocking capabilities of the GTX1060 3GB, 6GB, RX480, and RX470.

The only thing that is irrelevant is the RX470 which costs above MSRP at a crazy $200-$220 right now. The GTX1060 3GB demolishes the RX470.

The GTX1060 3GB beats the RX470 and RX480 4GB at most benchmarks at 1080p and 1440p. What does that tell you about relevance?

The GTX1060 3GB overclocks better too, consumes 40-60 watts less energy, runs cooler, and is less noisy.

So please, go ahead and attempt to rationalize why the RX470 card at the same price point of the GTX1060 3GB (or a more expensive overpriced RX480 4GB card that runs hot & noisy) is somehow better - go ahead and entertain me.


I know it's not the card you refer to, but my $239 Sapphire nitro 470 8gb crushes Doom, on nightmare settings, full 1080/60 with no dips. I've never heard it (compared to my sapphire HD6950 that sounded like a V8 revving away) and with my fans usually only around 50% it sits around 70C at load and the highest spike I've seen was 79C, power draw isn't crazy high (I did see one or two spikes that were in the 200s, but that was on old drivers) And I get 50-60 fps in Fallout 4, with tons of high res retexture packs, and I think I'm only using at max 5Gb of VRAM, average of 3.5-4Gb.

I haven't nor do I plan on having a 1060, but I have no problems with my 470 so far. My 6800k however, gives me bottlenecks in FO4. But my GPU is great. Just my two cents.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #465 of 470
Didn't expect another 1060 vs 470/480 debate so long after launch.

I like both cards equally. The GTX 1060 I'm using right now can max out all the games I play at 2560*1080 60fps. Still a huge downgrade from 4k 60fps or 1080p 144hz though.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #466 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

Incorrect. You say "I do not give such absolutes" later, but this is clearly an untrue absolute.

Quality matters more than quantity. Some languages are far more useful than others. The dominant languages of the 21st century will be English, Mandarin, Arabic, and Spanish. Learning those languages would be far more useful than learning several languages of smaller nations of Europe, Asia, or Africa.
Then you are not very familiar enough with English speaking reviews. Plenty of reviews re-review graphics cards after significant new drivers or new iterations. Techpowerup, as a very basic example, uploads new benchmarks of older cards with new drivers when comparing them to newer cards - you'll see fps increases in the same game/same settings for the same card as you progress in timeline.
Witcher 3 is marketed towards Americans too. Most games include marketing towards Americans because that is still the world's largest (and most profitable) gaming market. Comparing COD to Witcher 3 is nonsense because COD is a fast paced fps genre and W3 is an RPG. You could've at least compared W3 to Skyrim or the Elder Scrolls series where it draws some influences. And the developers of the Witcher series worked with American companies such as Bioware and Interplay to bring American RPGs to Europe. They based their later games on Blizzard's Diablo. The Witcher series and their devs were influenced by American games, and the Witcher series contained plenty of elements to help it sell in the American market.
You claim you do not give an absolute, yet you just gave an absolute similar to what I did. The RX470 of any variant should be avoided at all cost when it is priced near a GTX1060 3GB, because it gets DESTROYED in basically every benchmark. You claim the GTX1060 3GB is useless, but since this card beats the RX470 at everything and beats the RX480 4GB reference at most things, that would mean the RX470 and RX480 are worse than useless.
What you're doing is falling for a marketing gimmick of companies including so much VRAM on cards that can't possibly use them, or using VRAM as a way to cover up other inadequacies. Do you advocate getting a GTX750Ti with 2GB of VRAM? Or 1GB on a 9500GT? What is a disservice is AMD putting 4GB of a RX460 or 8GB on a RX470. That is a MARKETING GIMMICK designed to waste your money.
The 5770 performs exactly the same as a 4870 1GB and GTX260. Have you taken a look at its benchmarks and 4870 benchmarks? It is far too weak to use all of its VRAM properly. It performs the same as 4870 512mb and 512mb variants in everything. At higher resolutions where VRAM would be useful, both 1GB and 512mb variants get UNPLAYABLE framerates in games because the GPU itself is too weak. GPU core power bottleneck is far more important than VRAM bottleneck.
The only scenario where you'll see any benefits in a 5770 1GB would be crossfire, which had plenty of compatibility issues too. And don't forget the GTX460 with only 768mb of VRAM performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 5770 1GB. A card with less VRAM but far more GPU core power like the GTX460 768 would have lasted logner and aged better than your 5770 1GB.
You're doing a disservice by ignoring the problem of GPU core bottleneck while overemphasizing VRAM bottleneck.

The GTX1060 uses ~120watts, and the factory OCed versions such as EVGA SCs use negligibily more watts. The reference RX480 uses ~160watts, or ~150 watts after the patch. However, Pascal is far more efficent in overclocking, whereas Polaris scales badly in power consumption. RX480 AIB-factory OCed cards use nearly 200watts. But Nvidia has far less idle and multi-monitor consumption too - so much so that many 1060s allow 0% fan speed.
The reference coolers on reference AMD RX400 cards are unfortunately junk. The reference coolers on reference 1060s (reference in terms of MSRP pricing at least), 3GB and 6GBs are decent and remain cool and quiet.

That is why I go for Quality and Quantity. There is no limit to what I can do after all. Also Arabic and not Russian lol... and no Portuguese? Mate...
For what it is worth, if we wanted quality, we would not be gamers. We'd be bookworms on some other forum (perhaps you are one too, no way to know).

I am familiar with most of the sites. They do not go in-depth enough. They do not provide quality long term coverage. Hence why I had to use that German site that you are unable to refute.

Witcher 3 technically has no direct comparison. It is an example of remediation in gaming, a huge part of its sales (especially on PC) is from Eastern Europe and book readers. But fact remains - it sold a lot less than Fallout 4 (which should not be taken as its competitor yet most people equate them somehow) despite being a probably superior title. Same for STALKER as well, quality doesnt lead to sales. Only marketing does. That is a fact of life.

Mine wasnt an absolute. I did say that if someone will upgrade very soon (how can they be so sure? people die in less months...) or if local prices for the 1060 3GB are very good - they can get it. But at MSRP it is useless. You are yet to address GTA V, DOOM and Mirrors Edge BTW.

Show me an ATI 5770 512MB play Witcher 3. I am waiting.

"That is untrue. Plenty of people play games without using mods. In fact, the majority of people who play PC games are probably NOT installing mods. And not all games are mod-friendly either.
Stand alone games and mods are not the same thing. Mods are 3rd party or post-launch add ons that were not a part of the original game. Playing PC games is simple - you download/install and play. Adding mods adds a layer of complexity that most people will not do."

Re-read what I stated earlier. Then see your mistake. If someone does not care for Expansion pack or separate AAA game level of mods, then they do not care for games at all. That has nothing to do with the lesser mods that also take awhile to install and obviously arent new games effectively.

No sane person buys reference cards. Both are junk. Nvidia's PCB for the reference 1060 is second year drunk student level, with an OK cooler. It also costs more for such terrible quality. Get AIBs of both, always.
Even my R9 390 is at 0 fan speed most of the time... see Anand's R9 Fury Non X review to see how far better cooling and PCB design goes for AIB AMD cards. That thing is almost alien.
Current PC
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L ATI 5770 1GB Gigabyte 4 GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Green Windows 7 64-bit Samsung Syncmaster 940mw 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3470 Gigabyte GA-875M-D2V GTX 760 Gigabyte Windforce  8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Black Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acer Predator GN246HL 
  hide details  
Reply
Current PC
(9 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-750 Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L ATI 5770 1GB Gigabyte 4 GB DDR3 1333mhz RAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Green Windows 7 64-bit Samsung Syncmaster 940mw 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3470 Gigabyte GA-875M-D2V GTX 760 Gigabyte Windforce  8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
WD 1TB Black Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acer Predator GN246HL 
  hide details  
Reply
post #467 of 470

@Bluescreendeath

 

It's simple. Reference clock is near Max stable Oc.that's why OC in RX480 is not good.I don't know what happened at AMD , maybe they expected this card would run at 1500Mhz or even 1600Mhz.I doubt they were supposed to be running at 850Mhz.I even think about GF.

post #468 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuper View Post
 

@Bluescreendeath

 

It's simple. Reference clock is near Max stable Oc.that's why OC in RX480 is not good.I don't know what happened at AMD , maybe they expected this card would run at 1500Mhz or even 1600Mhz.I doubt they were supposed to be running at 850Mhz.I even think about GF.

Nvidia are suffering from the same problems. The 1070/1080 also have no OC headroom and the little you can OC them results in absolutely no gains.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8320 @ 4.5 Crosshair V (Third One) 290 Tri-X OC 16GB HyperX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB Toshiba 3TB Hitachi 2TB Swiftech H220-X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1/Mint Viewsonic VX2457-mhd Fuhlen L411 Slim Super Flower Golden King 650W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Enthoo Pro G400 Super Flower 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Win 8.1 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #469 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescreendeath View Post

1) I was just referring to the RX480, as the RX470 consumes less power and actually can meet the 150w TDP even on the 6 pin.

2) The variance is only there for these very graphically intensive games at max settings- which aren't used for competative gaming anyways. (and even still, there needs to be a study done on how much it would even matter, since the variance isn't huge).
Competitive gaming games have far less intensive graphical requirements so it's unlikely the problems from these games would carry over to stuff like CSGO, LoL, SC2, or Overwatch.

3) I don't know who these people are, but I've never liked cards with tons of VRAM - they've been a marketing gimmick for decades.
I'll have to look into that BIOS and power issue some more.

Yeh, you're right about the 1060 AIBs. The 1060 X 3GBs are overpriced and terrible deals compared to RX480 8GBs. If it was between the 1060-3GB AIB or a RX480-8GB at a comparable price point, the RX480 8GB would be superior.

ARK would like a word with you about your VRAM claims. And yes it is used for competitive gameplay, even in its broken state.

Again, RX 470 reference cards can pull more juice before pushing stuff out of spec. You have to go over 180w before the PCIe slot load gets above the spec, and a 6 pin is good for 150w by itself in most practical applications. It doesnt have anything to do with stock power draw, the power allocation is just better.

The extra VRAM is only a gimmick if the card is incapable of using the total capacity and maintaining a reasonable framerate. With 200-250gb/s of bandwidth that sweet spot is 4-6gb with a single card and 8gb+ for SLI/CFX. 300gb/s is getting to the point of being sufficient for 8gb single card setups.
Edited by KarathKasun - 10/1/16 at 4:15pm
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #470 of 470
Ugh... No one should buy the GTX 1060 3GB, period. Framerates look fine... And then you look at frametimes and it's a whole other story. The GTX 1060 3GB suffers a lot more from stuttering than even the RX 470 4GB. Check ComputerBase's RAM test. The 3GB is memory limited even at high settings and causes spikes. The 4GB on the RX470/RX480 does not have this issue, and only starts having it to lesser extent at extremely demanding settings like Mirror's Edge Hyper settings.

Based on charts on ComputerBase...
Mirror's Edge Catalyst with Ultra textures is fine on RX 480 4GB, but spikes like crazy on a 1060 3GB. Same is true for hyper. Additionally, the frametimes of the 1060 3GB is about twice of the 6GB version, while the 4GB and 8GB radeons are performing similarly. And Mirror's Edge Catalyst is an nVidia sponsored game. Highest frametime on the GTX 1060 3GB is around ~60ms with Ultra textures and ~90ms with Hyper textures. A 90ms spike in frametime is the equivalent of a framerate drop to around 11 FPS.... The RX 480 max frametime is around ~30 ms with Hyper textures... It's the RX 480 rather than the RX 470, but since the issue is obviously memory, we can expect the RX 470 to not have this issue;
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)




That alone should prove the point that no one should ever buy a GTX 1060 3GB, but, let's look at the other tests...

Deus Ex MD with high textures is fine on RX 470 4GB (one spike to 26ms) while the gtx 1060 3GB is already having severe frame time spikes into the 50ms range at. At very high the RX 470 starts having spikes, but is not nearly as bad as the GTX 1060 at even high texture setting since they're around 35ms... Only at Ultra do the spikes of the RX 470 4GB start looking similar to the GTX 1060 3GB at high settings, nearing the 50ms range. At least the 1060 doesn't have the huge framerate discrepancy between 3GB and 6GB as in Mirror's Edge Catalyst. But the 3GB is spiking to 60ms and even the 6GB spikes to the 40ms range. The 8GB RX 470 does not spike at all.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)





COD Black ops III, same story, 3GB experiences spikes, the AMD equivalent cards don't. At high textures, the 1060 3GB has spikes to ~24ms which isn't that bad, but the RX 480 stays below 20ms which is obviously superior. Again, RX 480 rather than RX 470, but the trend will be practically the same. Put it on extra textures, and the 3GB card and the RX 480 4GB both spike to around ~80ms. However, the RX 480 8GB outperforms the 6GB by having lower frametimes. They don't spike, but the RX 480 does not pass 16ms, while even the 1060 6GB passes 24ms in multiple occasions. The RX 480 is therefore smoother. We don't know how the RX 470 compares, but chances are that it's either slightly better or on par with the 1060 3GB.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Enjoy;
https://www.computerbase.de/2016-09/grafikkarten-speicher-vram-test/2/#diagramm-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-texturen-sehr-hoch-radeon-rx-480


The GTX 1060 3GB is a cut down card, and people forget that. nVidia has people fooled, letting them believe that the 3GB 1060 is the same 1060 as the 6GB version with lesser memory. That alone is reason to boycott a card in my view. Besides... With an RX 470 you can get a decent FreeSync monitor for as low as $200. That offers a much better experience than slightly more performance and unstable frametimes.
Edited by NightAntilli - 10/11/16 at 8:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Tech4Gamers] AMD Radeon RX 460 for $99 and the Radeon RX 470 for $149