Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Polaris Owners Club - Page 206

post #2051 of 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblegorill View Post

So, I went ahead and ran Heaven again, had it looping while I watched HWinfo and adjusted Afterburner. I noticed in HWinfo that I was getting a lot of memory errors, so I adjusted the RAM clock down to 2160. Then I started lowering the voltage... It's currently stable at 1410 MHz GPU, 2160 RAM with zero errors and zero artifacts. Voltage offset -18mV biggrin.gif

You got a nice card there, 1410Mhz undervolted is fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing what AMD does with their Vega cards. A 14nm Fury X-like beast clocked at 1400Mhz would be awesome thumb.gif
post #2052 of 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatun-Bear View Post

You got a nice card there, 1410Mhz undervolted is fantastic.

Looking forward to seeing what AMD does with their Vega cards. A 14nm Fury X-like beast clocked at 1400Mhz would be awesome thumb.gif

Yeah man! I had to correct my post, 1400 MHz at -18, 1410MHz at +0.

I believe the Polaris 10 was supposed to be ~1400-1500 MHz stock, but typical GloFo things happened and they pushed it out the door anyway. The "golden" GTR on Youtube is probably a good indication of what Polaris 10 was intended to be. AMD had to push their whole cycle forward, and I'm glad they did because I would love to see them competitive with Intel and nVidia again. It's good for everyone, even the NV/Intel fanboys, whether they know it or not rolleyes.gif

We're now getting Vega almost a full cycle early. That's awesome. In the meantime, a card with this kind of power for $240-270 is a great bargain and I had to snatch it up. It'll get me through to when Vega has great yields. DX12 is very exciting for AMD as well, because developers can / must take advantage of AMD's typically underutilized resources. I think by this time next year AMD will be #1 on everyone's list with Vega and Zen thumb.gif

Oh and PS, RX490 is coming this year. What do you think it will be? I'm thinking dual GPU Polaris 10, 1400MHz and 200W TDP, maybe with HBM?
Edited by invisiblegorill - 10/25/16 at 1:41pm
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2053 of 4140
No HBM till Vega 2017.
Dual chip GPUs are rarity, dunno if they want to waste resources on that again since they can only do CF right now and not a pure SFR using multiple chip GPU.
Devs don't have to take advantage of underutilized AMD HW in DX12, they can but do not have to and many of the current DX12 do not and all are ports from DX11/OGL. The only decent DX12/Vulkan game is Doom, the rest is rubbish when it comes to properly utilizing GPUs and having good performance on all current archs.

Who does want Vega like performance already bought 1070/80s. AMD will be late to the game again and NV updates their line up faster to counter anything AMD may bring anyway.

AMD needs to master performance/power ratio, it is what has killed both their CPU and GPU efforts. Better ratio gives more performance using equal manageable power.
post #2054 of 4140
Yes, it's unfortunate that the "DX12" stuff out there is just a port of a DX11 port from consoles rolleyes.gif I did appreciate DOOM though, 130 FPS on Ultra with my 4-year-old bargain A10 chip was quite nice, especially on a 120Hz monitor. That shows the real potential of DX12. Not many developers are as dedicated as id Software when it comes to game engines, but I hope that some of the tools that id used are made available for other coders. The fact that Fallout 4 was a AAA title using a 10-year-old busted-up game engine is kind of embarrassing, and don't get me wrong, I love the Fallout series, but it sucks when it's dropping to 20 FPS because of the retarded incessant redundant draw-calls to the CPU (which my bargain APU does not handle well due to its equally retarded cache system).

ANYWAY, who wants data? I have a screenshot. At 1420 MHz, after steadily lowering voltage from +36 to +18, the GPU started throwing up artfacts and tripping all over itself, and raising the voltage back up to +36 did not fix it. I lowered the clock back down to 1410 and +0. It is happy there (click for full size):



Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2055 of 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblegorill View Post

Yes, it's unfortunate that the "DX12" stuff out there is just a port of a DX11 port from consoles rolleyes.gif I did appreciate DOOM though, 130 FPS on Ultra with my 4-year-old bargain A10 chip was quite nice, especially on a 120Hz monitor. That shows the real potential of DX12. Not many developers are as dedicated as id Software when it comes to game engines, but I hope that some of the tools that id used are made available for other coders. The fact that Fallout 4 was a AAA title using a 10-year-old busted-up game engine is kind of embarrassing, and don't get me wrong, I love the Fallout series, but it sucks when it's dropping to 20 FPS because of the retarded incessant redundant draw-calls to the CPU (which my bargain APU does not handle well due to its equally retarded cache system).

ANYWAY, who wants data? I have a screenshot. At 1420 MHz, after steadily lowering voltage from +36 to +18, the GPU started throwing up artfacts and tripping all over itself, and raising the voltage back up to +36 did not fix it. I lowered the clock back down to 1410 and +0. It is happy there (click for full size):




I've got a 6800k overclocked to 4.6Ghz, and I feel your pain with the draw calls. Anywhere there's tons of stuff my fps drops into the 20s also. Doom running on Vulkan gave me soild 60fps throughout the entire game, which was gorgeous, however. Playing Far Cry 4 right now on mostly ultra settings (shadows turned down a bit and some others on high/very high instead of ultra) Getting mostly 50-60fps. Few dips in some more populated areas into the upper 30s, but only briefly. I'm hoping to sell my nitro 470 in a few weeks/months and upgrade to one of these newer 480s that are coming around. Hopefully I'll be able to get an AM3+ board and a FX8350 by then to really boost performance all around.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2056 of 4140
The good thing about the 480s, if you can get them for a good price, is the knowledge that its performance will mature very nicely. Already drivers have brought the performance up a little since launch, and the DX12 performance is pretty sweet for the price as is.

I'll be getting a Vega card probably middle of next year. In the meantime, I'm going to watch this Nitro 480 be given the good stuff slowly over time by the driver team at AMD.
post #2057 of 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisser12 View Post

I've got a 6800k overclocked to 4.6Ghz, and I feel your pain with the draw calls. Anywhere there's tons of stuff my fps drops into the 20s also. Doom running on Vulkan gave me soild 60fps throughout the entire game, which was gorgeous, however. Playing Far Cry 4 right now on mostly ultra settings (shadows turned down a bit and some others on high/very high instead of ultra) Getting mostly 50-60fps. Few dips in some more populated areas into the upper 30s, but only briefly. I'm hoping to sell my nitro 470 in a few weeks/months and upgrade to one of these newer 480s that are coming around. Hopefully I'll be able to get an AM3+ board and a FX8350 by then to really boost performance all around.

Honestly, and this is a little off topic, but if I may, the A10 series is superior to the FX series in single-thread performance. You really won't see additional framerate in games. Like, at all. If you want better you'll need at least an i3, and if you're going that route you'll be better off with an 15, and while you're spending money why not get the i7? LOL I've given that some thought, and decided to wait for AM4 / Zen before I build another computer. Then I can yank out the 480 from this one and go back to the iGPU (just like old times), and make it a HTPC or something. I dunno.

I've heard great things about the 470s price/performance wise, are you not happy with it? Keep in mind you won't see much improvement in anything but DX12 stuff with that APU. That's the bottleneck. By which I mean, ANY AMD CPU is a bottleneck for most games. Zen will change that, but it's maybe 6 months off.
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2058 of 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblegorill View Post

Honestly, and this is a little off topic, but if I may, the A10 series is superior to the FX series in single-thread performance. You really won't see additional framerate in games. Like, at all. If you want better you'll need at least an i3, and if you're going that route you'll be better off with an 15, and while you're spending money why not get the i7? LOL I've given that some thought, and decided to wait for AM4 / Zen before I build another computer. Then I can yank out the 480 from this one and go back to the iGPU (just like old times), and make it a HTPC or something. I dunno.

I've heard great things about the 470s price/performance wise, are you not happy with it? Keep in mind you won't see much improvement in anything but DX12 stuff with that APU. That's the bottleneck. By which I mean, ANY AMD CPU is a bottleneck for most games. Zen will change that, but it's maybe 6 months off.

I dont' have Intel kind of money. if I did I wouldn't spend it on a CPU. Aside from that... lol I wanna be able to do more than just game (run screen cap software, maybe movies on a second screen, whatever) on my rig, and with 4 cores I'm not able to handle that while still getting consistent performance in games. I've just heard better things of rigs with an 8350 than A10 stuff. Not that I dislike my computer, or any of it's parts. I managed to get the 6800 for around $50 or so barely used out of some guys HTPC. My 470 runs great, don't get me wrong. I've just seen all these nice things about the newer 480s' and it was the original card I had planned to get, but wasn't in stock when I bought my card, so I settled for the 8gb 470 nitro. I haven't messed with ANYTHING on it yet, keeping the warranty in tact for as long as I can hold out, but I really haven't needed to up the performance at all. I would just like the power to be there, and that way if I decide to go crossfire I already have a 480. (I've heard of some people crossfiring a 470 8gb and a 480 8gb, but not any benches or real proof)

I also run W7, so I'm stuck with Dx11 and Vulkan. Mm Vulkan... I am interested to see what Vega brings us. And to see what AMD's answer to the 1080 is going to be. Hoping for maybe a budget friendly Zen chip, also.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2059 of 4140
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisser12 View Post

I dont' have Intel kind of money. if I did I wouldn't spend it on a CPU. Aside from that... lol I wanna be able to do more than just game (run screen cap software, maybe movies on a second screen, whatever) on my rig, and with 4 cores I'm not able to handle that while still getting consistent performance in games. I've just heard better things of rigs with an 8350 than A10 stuff. Not that I dislike my computer, or any of it's parts. I managed to get the 6800 for around $50 or so barely used out of some guys HTPC. My 470 runs great, don't get me wrong. I've just seen all these nice things about the newer 480s' and it was the original card I had planned to get, but wasn't in stock when I bought my card, so I settled for the 8gb 470 nitro. I haven't messed with ANYTHING on it yet, keeping the warranty in tact for as long as I can hold out, but I really haven't needed to up the performance at all. I would just like the power to be there, and that way if I decide to go crossfire I already have a 480. (I've heard of some people crossfiring a 470 8gb and a 480 8gb, but not any benches or real proof)

I also run W7, so I'm stuck with Dx11 and Vulkan. Mm Vulkan... I am interested to see what Vega brings us. And to see what AMD's answer to the 1080 is going to be. Hoping for maybe a budget friendly Zen chip, also.

Intel's budget offerings aren't that expensive, while 50$ range AMD might be the better option at 100-150$ for a CPU you're better served with an i3 than any AMD CPU for gaming in most situations
Toxic-DT
(19 items)
 
Toxic-Mini
(6 items)
 
Toxic-SV
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Sapphire Nitro + RX 470 Gskill Ares 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Eco3 Kingdian  Corsair LE  Lite On 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig H5 Windows 10 pro Dell S2415h Azio MK Retro 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G Series 650w Define R5  Logitech G500s Asus Xonar DSX 
AudioAudioAudio
Monoprice Retro Heaphones Monoprice Vocal Dynamic Mic Edifier r980t  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rk3288 Firefly  Mali t760 mp4 Ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOS
Internal EMMC Android 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon e5649 HP z400 FirePro v4800 12gb Gkill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Ultrastar Western Digital 320gb HP High Performance Cooler Ubuntu Gnome 16.10 
PowerCase
HP z400 HP z400 
  hide details  
Reply
Toxic-DT
(19 items)
 
Toxic-Mini
(6 items)
 
Toxic-SV
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Sapphire Nitro + RX 470 Gskill Ares 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Eco3 Kingdian  Corsair LE  Lite On 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cryorig H5 Windows 10 pro Dell S2415h Azio MK Retro 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic G Series 650w Define R5  Logitech G500s Asus Xonar DSX 
AudioAudioAudio
Monoprice Retro Heaphones Monoprice Vocal Dynamic Mic Edifier r980t  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rk3288 Firefly  Mali t760 mp4 Ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveOS
Internal EMMC Android 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon e5649 HP z400 FirePro v4800 12gb Gkill Ripjaw 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Ultrastar Western Digital 320gb HP High Performance Cooler Ubuntu Gnome 16.10 
PowerCase
HP z400 HP z400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2060 of 4140
The issue with the Intel path is not just about the CPU price, it's about the motherboard too. No one wants a gimped Mobo especially when there's a unified socket. The thinking is: I don't have much money to spend, so if I'm going Intel, I want to give myself an upgrade path to an i5 or i7 down the road, and I want a good Mobo. Plus, we're all here because we love overclocking, and how do you do that on a $100 Intel board? You don't. The Intel offering for overclockers is a minimum $200 more (CPU and motherboard) with an assumed $250 down the road to max out the socket. I paid $230 four years ago for an APU (which came with a decent iGPU) AND motherboard. Meanwhile I've gone through 2 graphics cards and my single thread is on par with first and second generation Core series Intel. Those guys have to buy new motherboards anyway, to upgrade to Skylake or even devil's canyon. $400 may not be a lot of money to a lot of people, but it's still $400. Is this a RX series thread?
Edited by invisiblegorill - 10/25/16 at 5:49pm
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Brian
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-5800K AsRock FM2A85X Extreme6 MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-16GTX 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 500GB ASUS 24X DVDRW Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M70-C3 4K Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 COOLMAX ZX Series ZX-500 500W XCLIO 320 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse Max Payne Mouse Pad Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club