Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Polaris Owners Club - Page 241

post #2401 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Got the urge to fiddle my card last night and thought I'd replace TIM and all the pads on my Nitro+OC. Decided to use MX-4 and Arctic thermal pads. Ran 5 loops of Valley and took the max. temp. Temperature difference, after normalizing for intake temperature, was 1C. 62C vs 61C Basically within margin of error. On one hand it's kind of underwhelming that you can't use cheap TIM to get a bit better temps, on the other it's nice that Sapphire uses stuff that's "good enough". It's either that or the bottleneck is somewhere else. Next up - seeing if the fans on the card suck or blow. I should get my hands on a few Arctic F9 fans in a couple of days (hopefully before weekend) and while I'm sure they'll be much better noise-wise I'd like to see how it will affect temperatures.

Had a similar experience with my 480 NITRO. Used PK-2 and Arctic Cooling thermal pads. Gpu temps were about the same, maybe 1-2ºC less. But VRM saw a huge drop, 15-20ºC.

Sad that Sapphire underwent with the cooler, there is so much empty space where they could have easily put more fins...
post #2402 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Got the urge to fiddle my card last night and thought I'd replace TIM and all the pads on my Nitro+OC. Decided to use MX-4 and Arctic thermal pads. Ran 5 loops of Valley and took the max. temp. Temperature difference, after normalizing for intake temperature, was 1C. 62C vs 61C Basically within margin of error. On one hand it's kind of underwhelming that you can't use cheap TIM to get a bit better temps, on the other it's nice that Sapphire uses stuff that's "good enough". It's either that or the bottleneck is somewhere else. Next up - seeing if the fans on the card suck or blow. I should get my hands on a few Arctic F9 fans in a couple of days (hopefully before weekend) and while I'm sure they'll be much better noise-wise I'd like to see how it will affect temperatures.

If you got bottleneck i'm sure is not Temperatures fault but Power Limit's.

I have one Reference XFX RX 480 8Gb and is 1288Ghz Stock clock... Benchmarks always dropped to lower clocks... Overclock it by MSI After Burner and always the same... never got the max clock.. Wattman the same... So i was going crazy...

Then i decide to modify my Bios... Take the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC as base..

So i got to 1375Ghz always at full, stable no Drop's.. Changing the TDC (A) 140 and the Power Limit to 165... The Power Limit maybe can be more.. I read some place that can be 225 on Custom Cards... But not sure.. At least for me it's working.



*** Use MSI Afterburner to check the instant Power that is consuming.. If your card hit 165W, then your clock will lower down.. That's the bottleneck.. You can change your bios and set Power Limit to 175W for example. I do not have my Cooler connect to my grafics card, so i'm saving few watt's in the reads...

**** UPDATE!!! This is your Original Bios, if you got the Nito+ OC 8Gb



If you rise those numbers like i mention before, your Bottle Neck will dissapear. I'm sure of that. I took your card as base, but have done a little more OC...
Edited by Xcat2008 - 11/23/16 at 6:18am
post #2403 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

then do you think is worth spending a bit more for a R9 Fury over a 480?
I'm not familiar with Fury to make an informed recommendation one way or the other, but I wouldn't buy new something that's been out for what, year and a half now? Also its power consumption is rather off putting to me. I guess that's a no from me. Hell, I wouldn't buy it for RX 480 price either, never mind the 50€ premium it carries here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansau View Post

Had a similar experience with my 480 NITRO. Used PK-2 and Arctic Cooling thermal pads. Gpu temps were about the same, maybe 1-2ºC less. But VRM saw a huge drop, 15-20ºC.

Sad that Sapphire underwent with the cooler, there is so much empty space where they could have easily put more fins...
Interesting. Neither core nor VRM temperature changed last night. I tested at stock 1.15V, running the fans at 100%. Core came out to 61C and VRM to 62C, at 22C air temp.What thickness thermal pad did you use? Mine was 1mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcat2008 View Post

If you got bottleneck i'm sure is not Temperatures fault but Power Limit's. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have one Reference XFX RX 480 8Gb and is 1288Ghz Stock clock... Benchmarks always dropped to lower clocks... Overclock it by MSI After Burner and always the same... never got the max clock.. Wattman the same... So i was going crazy...

Then i decide to modify my Bios... Take the Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC as base..

So i got to 1375Ghz always at full, stable no Drop's.. Changing the TDC (A) 140 and the Power Limit to 165... The Power Limit maybe can be more.. I read some place that can be 225 on Custom Cards... But not sure.. At least for me it's working.



*** Use MSI Afterburner to check the instant Power that is consuming.. If your card hit 165W, then your clock will lower down.. That's the bottleneck.. You can change your bios and set Power Limit to 175W for example. I do not have my Cooler connect to my grafics card, so i'm saving few watt's in the reads...

**** UPDATE!!! This is your Original Bios, if you got the Nito+ OC 8Gb



If you rise those numbers like i mention before, your Bottle Neck will dissapear. I'm sure of that. I took your card as base, but have done a little more OC...
That's... not the kind of bottleneck I was referring to. It actually overclocks very well, and power limit is not the issue. It's more of a self-imposed "bottleneck". You know, like having an aversion to your computer sounding like it's the bastard child of a bee hive and a hair dryer.
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2404 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnin426850 View Post

I think buying a Fury right before the announcement of the next top the line GPU is not a good decision.
They are different price range I doubt a RX 480 rehash will make a noticeable difference unless AMD achieves to over ride bottleneck of ROPs-Bandwidth on RX 480 and/or increase OC-ability on the same node
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

I'm not familiar with Fury to make an informed recommendation one way or the other, but I wouldn't buy new something that's been out for what, year and a half now? Also its power consumption is rather off putting to me. I guess that's a no from me. Hell, I wouldn't buy it for RX 480 price either.
Usually R9 Fury has a 10% difference at 1080p and higher at 1440+ then why not? power draw to match an R9 Fury would be barely 30-40w lower than a Fury while still being sometimes bottlenecked by ROP-BW
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #2405 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

They are different price range I doubt a RX 480 rehash will make a noticeable difference unless AMD achieves to over ride bottleneck of ROPs-Bandwidth on RX 480 and/or increase OC-ability on the same node
Usually R9 Fury has a 10% difference at 1080p and higher at 1440+ then why not? power draw to match an R9 Fury would be barely 30-40w lower than a Fury while still being sometimes bottlenecked by ROP-BW
Because for me this isn't about a perf/watt curve, there's a hard limit after which you need water cooling to fend off the bees and the hair dryers.
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2406 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Interesting. Neither core nor VRM temperature changed last night. I tested at stock 1.15V, running the fans at 100%. Core came out to 61C and VRM to 62C, at 22C air temp.What thickness thermal pad did you use? Mine was 1mm.

Mine is also 1mm thick, but I'm keeping fans at 55%. Btw, I covered the entire vrm zone, not just the driver ICs like the stock.
post #2407 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Because for me this isn't about a perf/watt curve, there's a hard limit after which you need water cooling to fend off the bees and the hair dryers.
well R9 Fury heat can be lowered by undervolting still it wouldnt reach stock RX 480 power but it isnt that loud barely 1DBa
  
Reply
  
Reply
post #2408 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansau View Post

Mine is also 1mm thick, but I'm keeping fans at 55%. Btw, I covered the entire vrm zone, not just the driver ICs like the stock.
Yeah, I covered it all as well. I guess I'll have to see if there's any difference at lower fan speeds. I know I have some screenshots of hwinfo after playing Witcher for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

well R9 Fury heat can be lowered by undervolting still it wouldnt reach stock RX 480 power but it isnt that loud barely 1DBa
whistle.gif maybe. Like I said I haven't researched Fury, I just remember some reviews stating ~200W power usage, while my 480 averages half that while gaming.

I've got an Accelero Xtreme III sitting on my desk, but I really don't want to use the glue, so I'm waiting for some heatsinks I can attach with screws to arrive from a chinese eshop before I proceed.
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2409 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loladinas View Post

Interesting. Neither core nor VRM temperature changed last night. I tested at stock 1.15V, running the fans at 100%. Core came out to 61C and VRM to 62C, at 22C air temp.What thickness thermal pad did you use? Mine was 1mm.

I WISH I had your VRM temps. My VRM1 temps hit 102C last night playing Doom on my 470 nitro 8gb. mad.gif I just don't have the balls to tear my card down. I'm sure I probably already voided the warranty adjusting the power limit and lowering the voltages, but on the off chance they'll still take it back if something is wrong I wanna make sure I'm not the one that messes anything up on it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-6800k Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WDC WD50 00AAKS-65A7B0 Toshiba p300 3tb  LG super-multi drive  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo  
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Custom 40" Toshiba LED 1080p TV - 40L310U 5" HDMI LCD touchscreen (originally intended to... Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX550M  DIY PC Zetta-Bk Corsair M65 Pro RGB Corsair M300 Extended 
AudioOther
Bluedio T2s Bluetooth Stereo Headset Corsair AF120 White LED fans 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2410 of 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisser12 View Post

I WISH I had your VRM temps. My VRM1 temps hit 102C last night playing Doom on my 470 nitro 8gb. mad.gif I just don't have the balls to tear my card down. I'm sure I probably already voided the warranty adjusting the power limit and lowering the voltages, but on the off chance they'll still take it back if something is wrong I wanna make sure I'm not the one that messes anything up on it.
Pretty sure you didn't wink.gif It's fine if you used WattMan or one of the manufacturer tools to do that. I'd say it's a gray area if you flashed ROM, as you can flash it back to stock.
Those temps seem really high if the card is getting enough air and your case isn't overly hot. Played some Witcher just a bit earlier, fans set to 60%, 69C 65C core, 71C 66C VRM, 22C at the intake.


EDIT: blegh, looked at the wrong screenshot. 69-71C was with the fans set to 50%.
Edited by Loladinas - 11/23/16 at 12:01pm
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Roided midgit
(10 items)
 
Midgit
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k Asus P8Z77I-Deluxe MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X Crucial Ballistix XT 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Crucial M500 Noctua NH-D14 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Noctua NF-F12 PWM 
CoolingCoolingPowerCase
Noctua NF-B9 PWM Noctua NF-B9 PWM Corsair SF600 Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club