Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Polaris Owners Club - Page 47

post #461 of 4340
@greytoad - Thanks for the info, i don't have any reference with this "Custom" cooling and a more "professional" if that is the way to call it like yours - That difference of temp its cleary because i have a more higher voltage i discover a minimal diference of 0.03v its a huge temp dif, example 1.22 with 1.26 can be 10º . I try in all the manners to make it work in 1.22v but always have artifacs, or crashes, probably its the temps in the VRM you can control more better and that probably give you more stability at lower voltages.-
But anyway, the objetive its done more than 1400 mhz with 2250 mhz of mem, custom water, low noise and stable in different API's - The next thing its build the crossfire have the second RX 480 but the Maelstrom 120k its traveling to my city so im stuck until arrives.-
Another thing is, all my temps and voltages, are without vertical sync, so im generating for example 100 fps and my monitor its 60 hz, when i activate the V-Sync all this temps go down far away.-

By the way Greytoad, something i discover was, for example without vertical sync all the FPS the video card hand handle have 1.25/26v when i enable this voltage raise a bit to 1.27/28 - this is normal?
Edited by GecKoTDF - 8/11/16 at 9:29pm
post #462 of 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GecKoTDF View Post

@greytoad - Thanks for the info, i don't have any reference with this "Custom" cooling and a more "professional" if that is the way to call it like yours - That difference of temp its cleary because i have a more higher voltage i discover a minimal diference of 0.03v its a huge temp dif, example 1.22 with 1.26 can be 10º . I try in all the manners to make it work in 1.22v but always have artifacs, or crashes, probably its the temps in the VRM you can control more better and that probably give you more stability at lower voltages.-
But anyway, the objetive its done more than 1400 mhz with 2250 mhz of mem, custom water, low noise and stable in different API's - The next thing its build the crossfire have the second RX 480 but the Maelstrom 120k its traveling to my city so im stuck until arrives.-
Another thing is, all my temps and voltages, are without vertical sync, so im generating for example 100 fps and my monitor its 60 hz, when i activate the V-Sync all this temps go down far away.-

By the way Greytoad, something i discover was, for example without vertical sync all the FPS the video card hand handle have 1.25/26v when i enable this voltage raise a bit to 1.27/28 - this is normal?

Thats because voltage drops under load. Load Line Calibration corrects for that mostly, but voltage droop still occurs.
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #463 of 4340
@Karathkasun I see... similar to CPU well. its a GPU jaja - but its normal OK, when the loads go up this voltage will drop a bit and viceversa, of course with the V-Sync activated the temps go down a lot.-
Never have more than 60º compared with 67º i have without vertical sync.-
Edited by GecKoTDF - 8/11/16 at 9:43pm
post #464 of 4340
I have higher vddc on games with vsync enabled. I enable vsync a lot. I prefer stutter to tearing any day. even one or two torn frames take me out of a game. Yes I have lower temps too.

Edit: since 16.8.1 vddc raises above VID with vsync enabled and on light loads in other games. Seemed to stay at VID or below with 16.7.2. I never used 16.7.3.

Edit2: Maybe they changed or upped the load line calibration to fix some of the vdroop issues people were getting with the memory controller. I would get memory errors sometimes when the card switched pstates. Not noticing quite as much.


I just realized that windows Defender was freaking out over an old iso from 5 or six years ago in an archive and couldn't remove the "threat" that's never ever been installed on this computer. It was taking 15 to 20 percent of my cpu at times. My benches might be off. I'll check again in the morning. I switched to another anti-virus. This was a clean install on C: and I hadn't loaded anything but benches and video driver and steam so far...
Edited by greytoad - 8/11/16 at 9:52pm
post #465 of 4340
@greytoad - Totally agree, well i disable to do the most "intense" test and benchmarks, for example in Fire Strike ultra, with or without V-Sync have the same Voltage because its a intense test, but in normal games usually have a little up of voltage with V-Sync - The good thing its the temp are sustancial more lower, the VRM more lower too and this mean more lower noise from fan, but the same freq and better "min fps" performance - Im sure this with the Crossfire will be improve a bit, in this case the "load" its more lower with V-sync enable.-
For example in Metro Last Light the most "hotter" game with V-sync i only have 58º GPU and 78º VRM

My conclusion its a very cheaper video card, OC very well, can give you a improve of 7/10 fps probably, the power consumption its a bit higher from the specs, but for the price and the improvement you can give it with water, or some custom cooling, its a good option.-
Edited by GecKoTDF - 8/11/16 at 10:13pm
post #466 of 4340
OK. Going back and tuning for power efficiency and getting pretty amazing results.

1200 @ 1.0v gives me a maximum input power of 97w and max output power of 80w. Total board power has to be in the 110w range, core temps can be held under 70c (reference cooler) with a fan speed of ~2500RPM.

Performance in Unigine Valley is only down by %9 from 1350. 2116 -> 1944

At 1000 the Unigine Valley score is 1720. I can pull voltage all the way down to 0.8v (HWiNFO reports 0.98v) with stability. Power readings from HWiNFO64 are 78w in and 65w out max.

This GPU would be a killer in the laptop space.

**Interesting note, the power limit counts the memory VRM. At default power limit/1200/1.0v Valley throttles to ~1075, If I drop memory voltage to 0.85v that number goes up to 1160.
Edited by KarathKasun - 8/11/16 at 10:52pm
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #467 of 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

OK. Going back and tuning for power efficiency and getting pretty amazing results.

1200 @ 1.0v gives me a maximum input power of 97w and max output power of 80w. Total board power has to be in the 110w range, core temps can be held under 70c (reference cooler) with a fan speed of ~2500RPM.

Performance in Unigine Valley is only down by %9 from 1350. 2116 -> 1944

At 1000 the Unigine Valley score is 1720. I can pull voltage all the way down to 0.8v (HWiNFO reports 0.98v) with stability. Power readings from HWiNFO64 are 78w in and 65w out max.

This GPU would be a killer in the laptop space.

**Interesting note, the power limit counts the memory VRM. At default power limit/1200/1.0v Valley throttles to ~1075, If I drop memory voltage to 0.85v that number goes up to 1160.

Definitely interesting.

Cool find.
post #468 of 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by GecKoTDF View Post

Its amazing how the waters help, in the case of the RX 480, very easy to put it - I use a maelstrom 120k

I've used full cover blocks before and I can attest that a AIO cooler is a better solution because it is much cheaper and cools just about the same.

I'll be over clocking with the stock cooler first, then I'll swap it out for the H60 and compare the results.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS ROG Strix B350-F ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8GB G.Skill 2x4GB DDR4 Ripjaws V Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk X400 512GB (OS) WD Blue 1TB (Raid 1 Storage) Deepcool Captain 240 RGB Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2701 Turbot Mechanical Keyboard EVGA SuperNova P2 650w NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
ASUS ROG Gladius II Glorious PC Gaming Race Pad Logitech Z623 2.1 Speakers Cougar Immersa Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.6ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MSI HD 7850 2GB @ 1ghz Mushkin Ridgeline Series @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series Western Digital Caviar Black Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi W/ Xigmatek Purple LED Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED Rosewill Capstone 550w BitFenix Neos Window Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ASUS ROG Strix B350-F ASUS ROG Strix RX 580 8GB G.Skill 2x4GB DDR4 Ripjaws V Black 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk X400 512GB (OS) WD Blue 1TB (Raid 1 Storage) Deepcool Captain 240 RGB Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2701 Turbot Mechanical Keyboard EVGA SuperNova P2 650w NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
ASUS ROG Gladius II Glorious PC Gaming Race Pad Logitech Z623 2.1 Speakers Cougar Immersa Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.6ghz ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 MSI HD 7850 2GB @ 1ghz Mushkin Ridgeline Series @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series Western Digital Caviar Black Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi W/ Xigmatek Purple LED Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
ViewSonic VX2370SMH-LED Rosewill Capstone 550w BitFenix Neos Window Asus Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #469 of 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

OK. Going back and tuning for power efficiency and getting pretty amazing results.

1200 @ 1.0v gives me a maximum input power of 97w and max output power of 80w. Total board power has to be in the 110w range, core temps can be held under 70c (reference cooler) with a fan speed of ~2500RPM.

Performance in Unigine Valley is only down by %9 from 1350. 2116 -> 1944

At 1000 the Unigine Valley score is 1720. I can pull voltage all the way down to 0.8v (HWiNFO reports 0.98v) with stability. Power readings from HWiNFO64 are 78w in and 65w out max.

This GPU would be a killer in the laptop space.

**Interesting note, the power limit counts the memory VRM. At default power limit/1200/1.0v Valley throttles to ~1075, If I drop memory voltage to 0.85v that number goes up to 1160.
Yeah the stock clocks on AMD GPUs are often way too high for what they were designed for/run best at. 900-1000MHz is the sweet spot for most with the voltage they need to run those clocks.
Sure latest 4xx can clock up to 13xx but the power efficiency goes out the window. They do lock a little higher than previous gen but it is not by much, 10% or so.
post #470 of 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth777 View Post

I've used full cover blocks before and I can attest that a AIO cooler is a better solution because it is much cheaper and cools just about the same.

I'll be over clocking with the stock cooler first, then I'll swap it out for the H60 and compare the results.

That's right well here in Argentina if i must build a full water system will cost me the same or 30% more than the RX 480 itself - So like you can imagine its not a good buisness, about the use of AIO water, was the most peformance per buck solution, for example the maelstrom 120 k cost me only the 20% of the price of a RX 480 Reference card, so if I put in the table, the Overclock i can get, the lower temps i get, and more important in my particular case, the low noise you made at gaming - Its trully amazing - The most important difference could be with a full block you can manage better VRM temps for example - But with vertical sync enable my temps never go more than 60º and the VRM more than 75/78º and the fan of the water its less than the 60% and only use one.-
If you cpu case its enable to put a AIO water system its a good choice, example Maelstrom 120k, Corsair H60 are cheaper and easy to clamp in the board.-

About the temps without overclock in reference card and without Vsync get 74º with my max overclock with reference stock 1300 mhz get 83º here with 1430 and 1.26/27 volts get without vertical sync 71º max at GPU and 95/100º at VRM - but with V-sync never pass more than 60º and th VRM 75/78º - Im using the stock backplate with a fan at 1000 rpm pointing at the vrm area, so i cant spect more better than that.-
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club