Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Polaris Owners Club - Page 84

post #831 of 4151
Okay, so I've found this Anandtech benchmark number curios for some time, but I only now had a chance to try and replicate it with my RX 480.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748

If you look at the "Battlefield 4 - 1080p - Ultra Quality" entry you find 70.3FPS.

I can't get that low by underclocking my RX 480 to 1Ghz... I played online, 64 players, Golmud Railway, for 20.6672 minutes and averaged 96.37 FPS, with a minimum of 36 (menu transition, most likely) and a maximum of 165 (probably while using an IR scope). I flew, I drove a tank three times, I drove a jeep four times, I was engaged deep into battle, and died some 9 or 10 times.... did pretty poorly, actually rolleyes.gif

Does anyone else here with an RX 480, or even RX 470, score as badly in 1080p Ultra as Anandtech shows?

I should note, my R9 290 numbers were similarly ahead of Anandtech's, so I'm not ruling out some local configuration on my side creating an enormously higher FPS... or, perhaps something else in my system is just vastly superior to their test systems...
post #832 of 4151
'/
Quote:
Originally Posted by looncraz View Post

Okay, so I've found this Anandtech benchmark number curios for some time, but I only now had a chance to try and replicate it with my RX 480.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748

If you look at the "Battlefield 4 - 1080p - Ultra Quality" entry you find 70.3FPS.

I can't get that low by underclocking my RX 480 to 1Ghz... I played online, 64 players, Golmud Railway, for 20.6672 minutes and averaged 96.37 FPS, with a minimum of 36 (menu transition, most likely) and a maximum of 165 (probably while using an IR scope). I flew, I drove a tank three times, I drove a jeep four times, I was engaged deep into battle, and died some 9 or 10 times.... did pretty poorly, actually rolleyes.gif

Does anyone else here with an RX 480, or even RX 470, score as badly in 1080p Ultra as Anandtech shows?

I should note, my R9 290 numbers were similarly ahead of Anandtech's, so I'm not ruling out some local configuration on my side creating an enormously higher FPS... or, perhaps something else in my system is just vastly superior to their test systems...

Different drivers?
Sonic Hedgehog II
(19 items)
 
Sonic Hedgehog I
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Radeon HD 7970 Radeon HD 7970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Radeon HD 7970 16 GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Crucial M4 Xigmatek Aegir 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Samsung SyncMaster P2370-HD Some Generic Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF 912 Razer Deathadder 3.5G Razer Scarab BF3 Edition Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
AudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon R9 290X 16 GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
128 GB Crucial M4 Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion 22bw PoS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX750M CM690 PoS PoS 
Audio
Audio-Technica AD900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Sonic Hedgehog II
(19 items)
 
Sonic Hedgehog I
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
FX-8350 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 Radeon HD 7970 Radeon HD 7970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
Radeon HD 7970 16 GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM Crucial M4 Xigmatek Aegir 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro Samsung SyncMaster P2370-HD Some Generic Keyboard Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF 912 Razer Deathadder 3.5G Razer Scarab BF3 Edition Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
AudioAudio
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A10-7850K ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon R9 290X 16 GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
128 GB Crucial M4 Windows 8.1 HP Pavilion 22bw PoS 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair CX750M CM690 PoS PoS 
Audio
Audio-Technica AD900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #833 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonikku13 View Post

'/
Different drivers?

No, I did my testing with the release-day drivers. 16.7.2. Later drivers mess up the memory clocking, and I've been testing memory scaling quite a bit.
post #834 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytoad View Post

I used to undervolt my memory controller too for better bench performance, but I found too many memory errors during pstate changes. You getting any? I might have to revisit the undervolt memory setting and test with the latest drivers. They changed vdroop on 16.8.1 so maybe it works better now. it sure saves on temp on air I have to say. People were saying in the 4 to 7 degree range for reapplying TIM with something like GC-Extreme. Something to consider it may help. But those are nice settings.


Yeah I think reapplying the paste and maybe even pads is probably the next thing to do when summer hits. The only other solution i could think of is making wider exhaust vents or placing a small shroud to essentially force feed air from a bigger fan.

Is there a certain way to measure memory errors? I ran 3dmark for an hour and played ROTTR at max settings for a couple hours without noticing any graphic oddities or crashes. I do experience some seriously crappy minimum fps at times although that seems to be more of an issue with my CPU or RAM dying out (I had to go down to 1600 cas10 from 1866 cas 10 to stop instability which dropped my minimum fps badly)
Last AM3 rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8320E @ 4.0ghz/1.275 Gigabyte 970A-D3P MSI 670OC Power Edition 2x4gb Micron ECC 1833 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb Samsung 840evo, Seagate 500gb 7200.12 1t... NH-U12P-SE2 P/P Windows 8.1 22" Syncmaster P2250, 21.5" Phillips 222EL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Red  Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Zalman Z3 Plus Logitech G500 
Audio
Microlab FC330 
  hide details  
Reply
Last AM3 rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8320E @ 4.0ghz/1.275 Gigabyte 970A-D3P MSI 670OC Power Edition 2x4gb Micron ECC 1833 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb Samsung 840evo, Seagate 500gb 7200.12 1t... NH-U12P-SE2 P/P Windows 8.1 22" Syncmaster P2250, 21.5" Phillips 222EL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Red  Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Zalman Z3 Plus Logitech G500 
Audio
Microlab FC330 
  hide details  
Reply
post #835 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkiet View Post

Is there a certain way to measure memory errors? I ran 3dmark for an hour and played ROTTR at max settings for a couple hours without noticing any graphic oddities or crashes. I do experience some seriously crappy minimum fps at times although that seems to be more of an issue with my CPU or RAM dying out (I had to go down to 1600 cas10 from 1866 cas 10 to stop instability which dropped my minimum fps badly)

https://www.hwinfo.com/

There is a GPU Memory Errors entry.

Run a good stress test. With GDDR5, you usually won't notice visual artifacts from memory errors, but mostly computational errors. GDDR5 is basically ECC memory.
post #836 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by l187l View Post

lol better in one game(3 if you count the terribly optimized Hitman, and AOTS) $200 for an 8GB version is definitely worth it. I was talking about the ones that are priced equally. When both cards are $260, it's kind of silly to go with a 480.

I don't even know why I bothered posting the original comment, because neither card is worth buying unless you're a 16 year old working min. wage after school.

Wow, such money management skill, much economic prowess, total winner at life.

A hobby is only worth what one wants to invest into it. I would rather slam down $1000+ on hobby grade RC equipment every few months than $600 for a videocard every 6-12 months. Its called priorities, $300+ GPU's lose out compared to $1500+ Novarossi powered RC race cars for me. thumb.gif

RX 470/80 or GTX 1060 does what I want for a sum of money I am willing to put toward that hobby, deal with it.

Take your self important waste of my time somewhere else.
Edited by KarathKasun - 8/23/16 at 7:45pm
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #837 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkiet View Post

Yeah I think reapplying the paste and maybe even pads is probably the next thing to do when summer hits. The only other solution i could think of is making wider exhaust vents or placing a small shroud to essentially force feed air from a bigger fan.

Is there a certain way to measure memory errors? I ran 3dmark for an hour and played ROTTR at max settings for a couple hours without noticing any graphic oddities or crashes. I do experience some seriously crappy minimum fps at times although that seems to be more of an issue with my CPU or RAM dying out (I had to go down to 1600 cas10 from 1866 cas 10 to stop instability which dropped my minimum fps badly)

Pads/compound will not help your thermals significantly. The best route would be to go with one of the following...
Accelero twin turbo III, hybrid with an AIO water system, or full water. Listed in ascending price and performance.
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #838 of 4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by l187l View Post

lol better in one game(3 if you count the terribly optimized Hitman, and AOTS) $200 for an 8GB version is definitely worth it. I was talking about the ones that are priced equally. When both cards are $260, it's kind of silly to go with a 480.

I don't even know why I bothered posting the original comment, because neither card is worth buying unless you're a 16 year old working min. wage after school.

Wait, since when are Hitman and AotS considered "terribly optimized?" These games do an incredible amount of computation and graphical work at very good frame-rates, all things considered. AMD is just better at them because they have real asynchronous compute capabilities.

If the cards are equally priced, though, the situation isn't terribly clear. Right now, the GTX 1060 is faster, but history has shown that nVidia cards do not age well - and that will definitely be true for Maxwell 2.1 (a.k.a. Pascal). GCN4 has yet to be optimized with all of its massive new features... nVidia's Maxwell drivers are already well optimized - so don't expect much improvement over time except for the 5% or so they can gain now in DX12 titles.

If you plan to keep the card for a year, GTX 1060, at the same price, is a better deal If you plan on keeping it for a year and a day, RX 480 is better... but that also depends on the games you play and intend to play going forward.
post #839 of 4151
Project OP
(13 items)
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
  hide details  
Reply
Project OP
(13 items)
 
Compooter too
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4690k  MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition  Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) Black 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 8GB(2x4) White Samsung 950 Pro m.2 Lightscribe 24x DVDrw Corsair H100i v2 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 LG 25UM57 2560 X 1080 60Hz IPS SilverStone Strider plus SST ST1000-P Corsair Carbide 400c White 
Other
Swiftech 8W-PWM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #840 of 4151

I bought that earlier today for 302 CAD after tax biggrin.gif

I'll try modding the BIOS on the 470 first, since I don't want any downtime on my 480s.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] Polaris Owners Club