Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › New Case or CPU cooler?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Case or CPU cooler? - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes View Post

It's been high since day one. I never really cared because I thought "It'll get fixed within a week or two" but then life changed a bit and here we are quite a bit more than two weeks later. I'm too embarrassed to show you what it looks like inside, so I'll just say it's a tad untidy but it does have a nice Blue LED Exhaust fan (Negative pressure build wink.gif ) and the specs are embarrassing but let's say it only has low end components.

It was all meant to be a WIP platform until I got some nicer parts.

The logic in a new case is sound and I think I'll go for that for now. Having said that, it was my Birthday a week or two ago and I found some money I forgot to spend tongue.gif
You seem to be avoiding the obvious questions about what you have and what it looks like. We really make good suggestions without knowing the details.

Like I asked before
Quote:
When was the last time you thoroughly cleaned your case and cooler and applied new TIM?
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Never - only had it for 2 months. Okay, that probably isn't going to help, sure, but the idles have only gone up from 44 to 46 so it's nothing major.

Like I said: stock cooled low end Skylake CPU with a generic no intake vent case. Sorry for avoiding the true details but I get laughed at too much for my low powered build and here it'll only be worse because you've all got fancy stuff! tongue.gif
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes View Post

Never - only had it for 2 months. Okay, that probably isn't going to help, sure, but the idles have only gone up from 44 to 46 so it's nothing major.

Like I said: stock cooled low end Skylake CPU with a generic no intake vent case. Sorry for avoiding the true details but I get laughed at too much for my low powered build and here it'll only be worse because you've all got fancy stuff! tongue.gif
It sounds like you have really bad case airflow. But you need to give us the details or the members here who do know what is what cannot give you the advice you need. Those who try to give advice without the details often do not know what they are doing.

We all had to learn at some point. There a no dumb questions as long as you learn something from the answer.
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes View Post

Never - only had it for 2 months. Okay, that probably isn't going to help, sure, but the idles have only gone up from 44 to 46 so it's nothing major.

Like I said: stock cooled low end Skylake CPU with a generic no intake vent case. Sorry for avoiding the true details but I get laughed at too much for my low powered build and here it'll only be worse because you've all got fancy stuff! tongue.gif

Having a low end system is nothing to be embarrassed about. I played on a laptop for years, & only last December managed to get a desktop i5 & GTX 960. I hope to one day get a much better video card, but it will have to wait until my budget allows for it. We all understand that feeling. Chances are your system is better than what I've got my brother set up with: i3-2120, 6GB DDR3 1333, GTX 260 reference & a Thermaltake TR2 PSU. It is literally made from other people's leftovers, but it's better than having nothing. Doyll's right, you'll get better answers if you provide more information for us to work with. If he makes fun of you, it'll be for what you do later, not what you've already done.

Edit: but to give you an answer from what I already know, start with cleaning & repasting, as Doyll said. It's too cheap to not start there. After that, get a nice case first, but have a plan for cooling upgrades when you do so. You don't won't to buy a nicer case & later find that it's still too small for the cooler you want.

If you want a super nice case, have the space for it, & are ready to spend money TODAY, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is currently on sale from Newegg for $74 after rebate & shipping. It's normally a $100 case, & even at that price there aren't many as well built.
Edited by dlewbell - 7/21/16 at 2:48pm
Gigabyte Z170
(23 items)
 
 
Brother's Machine
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2280 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F120SP Windows 10 Pro Visio E601i-A3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G600 MMO 
OtherOtherOther
XBox One Controller Reeven Four Eyes Touch HTC Vive 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G4560 ASUS H110M-A/M.2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Blue Cryorig H7 Undecided EVGA Supernova G2 750W 
CaseOther
Corsair Air 540 Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2120 ACER IPISB-VR EVGA GTX 260 3x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Wester Digital Green ASUS DVD RW DVD RW Stock Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Windows 10 Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake TR2 500W Corsair Carbide Spec-01 Microsoft Intellimouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Gigabyte Z170
(23 items)
 
 
Brother's Machine
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2280 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F120SP Windows 10 Pro Visio E601i-A3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G600 MMO 
OtherOtherOther
XBox One Controller Reeven Four Eyes Touch HTC Vive 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G4560 ASUS H110M-A/M.2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Blue Cryorig H7 Undecided EVGA Supernova G2 750W 
CaseOther
Corsair Air 540 Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2120 ACER IPISB-VR EVGA GTX 260 3x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Wester Digital Green ASUS DVD RW DVD RW Stock Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Windows 10 Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake TR2 500W Corsair Carbide Spec-01 Microsoft Intellimouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewbell View Post

Having a low end system is nothing to be embarrassed about. I played on a laptop for years, & only last December managed to get a desktop i5 & GTX 960. I hope to one day get a much better video card, but it will have to wait until my budget allows for it. We all understand that feeling. Chances are your system is better than what I've got my brother set up with: i3-2120, 6GB DDR3 1333, GTX 260 reference & a Thermaltake TR2 PSU. It is literally made from other people's leftovers, but it's better than having nothing. Doyll's right, you'll get better answers if you provide more information for us to work with. If he makes fun of you, it'll be for what you do later, not what you've already done.

Edit: but to give you an answer from what I already know, start with cleaning & repasting, as Doyll said. It's too cheap to not start there. After that, get a nice case first, but have a plan for cooling upgrades when you do so. You don't won't to buy a nicer case & later find that it's still too small for the cooler you want.

If you want a super nice case, have the space for it, & are ready to spend money TODAY, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro is currently on sale from Newegg for $74 after rebate & shipping. It's normally a $100 case, & even at that price there aren't many as well built.

Ahh you lucky yanks with your great deals!! The UK has a tax on life called "the sea" which raises the cost of everything ...

Okay ... in that case: i3-6100 and HD 6950.

Hopefully I'll be moving into my Dad's house for the rest of the summer, and he has some spare paste. In fact, if I ask nicely enough, he might get me a cooler while I buy a PC. So ... two birds one stone, eh?
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes View Post

Ahh you lucky yanks with your great deals!! The UK has a tax on life called "the sea" which raises the cost of everything ...

Okay ... in that case: i3-6100 and HD 6950.

Hopefully I'll be moving into my Dad's house for the rest of the summer, and he has some spare paste. In fact, if I ask nicely enough, he might get me a cooler while I buy a PC. So ... two birds one stone, eh?
Our increased costa are not 'the sea' but 'the tax'. Everything we buy obviously has cost of transport that has a 60% fuel duty on every litre, then a 20% VAT of retail value is add on top of of that. Really our prices are similar to Yanks. They usually have to pay a 'sales tax' that is added onto the product sticker price where our sticker price is what we pay. wink.gif

Your CPU is low wattage / heat at 51 watts, but your GPU is 200 watts of heat. That means you need some decent case airflow to keep things cool.

What case do you have?
Without knowing what the case venting is makes it impossible to make informed suggestions on how to improve airflow.
post #17 of 20
to know which to prioritize, run your PC with the side panels off and an external fan blowing air towards it.
if the PC runs much cooler with the side panels off, then you can be assured that buying a case with better airflow will give you a better result.

there are other things to check however, dusts blocking the intake, wires blocking the airflow, dead or weak fans, etc.
all of these can make even the best case perform worse, so fixing these issues will also help.
Edited by epic1337 - 7/22/16 at 3:19am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSebWilkes View Post

Ahh you lucky yanks with your great deals!! The UK has a tax on life called "the sea" which raises the cost of everything ...

Okay ... in that case: i3-6100 and HD 6950.

Hopefully I'll be moving into my Dad's house for the rest of the summer, and he has some spare paste. In fact, if I ask nicely enough, he might get me a cooler while I buy a PC. So ... two birds one stone, eh?
Sorry about that. I've gotten so used to people not having their location listed that I forgot to even check.

I don't think your CPU needs more than the stock cooler, though a better one would probably be quieter. A case will most likely help, if your current one is built like I assume it is.
Gigabyte Z170
(23 items)
 
 
Brother's Machine
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2280 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F120SP Windows 10 Pro Visio E601i-A3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G600 MMO 
OtherOtherOther
XBox One Controller Reeven Four Eyes Touch HTC Vive 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G4560 ASUS H110M-A/M.2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Blue Cryorig H7 Undecided EVGA Supernova G2 750W 
CaseOther
Corsair Air 540 Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2120 ACER IPISB-VR EVGA GTX 260 3x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Wester Digital Green ASUS DVD RW DVD RW Stock Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Windows 10 Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake TR2 500W Corsair Carbide Spec-01 Microsoft Intellimouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Gigabyte Z170
(23 items)
 
 
Brother's Machine
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2280 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F120SP Windows 10 Pro Visio E601i-A3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K400 EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Logitech G600 MMO 
OtherOtherOther
XBox One Controller Reeven Four Eyes Touch HTC Vive 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Pentium G4560 ASUS H110M-A/M.2 Corsair Vengeance LPX Western Digital Caviar Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Western Digital Caviar Blue Cryorig H7 Undecided EVGA Supernova G2 750W 
CaseOther
Corsair Air 540 Phanteks PH-F140SP 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2120 ACER IPISB-VR EVGA GTX 260 3x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
Wester Digital Green ASUS DVD RW DVD RW Stock Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Noctua NF-S12B Redux-1200 Windows 10 Pro 
PowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake TR2 500W Corsair Carbide Spec-01 Microsoft Intellimouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 20
I'd say a new case first would be best. If your case is cramped with little airflow, a new cooler won't do much, but a new case with good airflow can easily help lower temps quite a bit, especially if your CPU cooler is being hindered by airflow rather than cooling capacity. Also, a new case can lower temps across the board: mobo, HDDs, CPU, GPU, PSU, Ram. This can help significantly.

Other than that, I will say what I always say when people ask if they should upgrade this or that:
What are your requirements?
What are your plans/expectations for the next few years upgrade wise?
And most important, what is your budget... Depending on your budget and answers to above 2 questions, you might be able to get both smile.gif

Although, based on what you said above, you might get the cooler covered so a case only would be wise, as it seems to be the better choice if you had to choose anyway. So if he won't get you a cooler, give us a budget. Depending on deals and such, you might be able to upgrade both yourself for best results overall.
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
M06
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX6300 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 XFX 7950 - 3GB G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 CL9 @ 1733... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD Blue 500GB WD Black 1.5TB Crucial M4 128GB (OS) LG ODD 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool Lucifer v2 Win7 Ultimate 64 bit Acer X223w (1050) LG 22EN33 (1080) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Sharkoon Tactix OCZ ModXstream Pro 700w Modular Corsair 300R CM Storm Xornet 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Steelseries Qck+ DOTA2 Edition Edifier e1100+  Sennheiser HD215 Plantronics Gamecom 307 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Our increased costa are not 'the sea' but 'the tax'. Everything we buy obviously has cost of transport that has a 60% fuel duty on every litre, then a 20% VAT of retail value is add on top of of that. Really our prices are similar to Yanks. They usually have to pay a 'sales tax' that is added onto the product sticker price where our sticker price is what we pay. wink.gif

Your CPU is low wattage / heat at 51 watts, but your GPU is 200 watts of heat. That means you need some decent case airflow to keep things cool.

What case do you have?
Without knowing what the case venting is makes it impossible to make informed suggestions on how to improve airflow.

/derail

haha all this talk about location reminded me. what's your feeling on UK leaving the EU? with the expected drop on the pound, things are gonna get expensive for you for awhile smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › New Case or CPU cooler?