Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Maintenance time! Questions before going forward
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Maintenance time! Questions before going forward

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
So I have to do maintenance on my loop and I'm also taking the time to add some things to it, just want to make sure that I'm all set.

- I have one of the L360 kits from EK for my CPU and an EK Nickel block for the GPU in a Define R5 with an extra 280 radiator installed up front.

Looking to do the following:

- When you guys do maintenance do you usually take the time to swap out tubing as well? There's some gunk in my loop from improper cleaning which I hope the blitz part 2 will help cleanse.

- If I see some slight build up on the blocks and current res will something like Mayhems Blitz Part 2 fix the problem or is it a disassembly and scrub with warm water type of job?

- Can I change the res size and top for the included EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1? I would like to change the cap to something with a G1/4 fitting so that it can be easier to fill inside my cramped case, as well as fill up more liquid each time.

- Has anyone ever shifted their 360 radiator up top in the R5 to make room for a 120 or 140 rad in the exhaust? I've done the measurements and it seems to fit but I'd like confirmation. With a 6700K and two 980Tis I'm thinking the heat generation will be quite tough for the existing 360 + 280 to deal with and the extra 120 will be nice.

Thanks as always!
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

- When you guys do maintenance do you usually take the time to swap out tubing as well? There's some gunk in my loop from improper cleaning which I hope the blitz part 2 will help cleanse.

I have never done a soft tubing build, but hard tubing doesn't usually need to be replaced. The soft tubing starts to leach after a while, so you will have to probably replace after a year or two once the tubing is cloudy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

- If I see some slight build up on the blocks and current res will something like Mayhems Blitz Part 2 fix the problem or is it a disassembly and scrub with warm water type of job?

You will probably have to disassemble, but it is worth a shot. A toothbrush does a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

- Can I change the res size and top for the included EK-XRES 100 DDC MX 3.1? I would like to change the cap to something with a G1/4 fitting so that it can be easier to fill inside my cramped case, as well as fill up more liquid each time.

Yes you can buy the other XRES reservoirs and tops. I did this once with the EK res I had..
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs/accessories-spare-parts/ek-res-x3-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

- Has anyone ever shifted their 360 radiator up top in the R5 to make room for a 120 or 140 rad in the exhaust? I've done the measurements and it seems to fit but I'd like confirmation. With a 6700K and two 980Tis I'm thinking the heat generation will be quite tough for the existing 360 + 280 to deal with and the extra 120 will be nice.

If you use a thin 360 mm rad, move the ports to the front, and use a thin 140 or 120 mm rad in the back with the ports on the bottom, and move the whole rad to the lowest spot on the rails, you should manage easily.
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrapuzz View Post

You will probably have to disassemble, but it is worth a shot. A toothbrush does a good job.

Would you happen to know if there are any issues using blitz part 2 with nickel blocks from EK? In the mayhems demo video they run it through the full loop, but EK's cleaning instructions specify warm water + scrubbing by hand. Would just like clarification so I know how to build the cleaning loop without damaging anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrapuzz View Post

Yes you can buy the other XRES reservoirs and tops. I did this once with the EK res I had..
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs/accessories-spare-parts/ek-res-x3-series

Good to know, the included res isn't on the compatibility list but it's good to see that the same components will still work for the included pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrapuzz View Post

If you use a thin 360 mm rad, move the ports to the front, and use a thin 140 or 120 mm rad in the back with the ports on the bottom, and move the whole rad to the lowest spot on the rails, you should manage easily.

I did a quick test fit last night when I took the loop apart and the front panel wiring limits how much I can shift the 360 forward. Assuming I can find a way to mount it now that the holes aren't aligned well there is definitely space for a slim (30mm) 120 rad along with a standard fan.

Thanks again for your input smile.gif
post #4 of 8
You should be fine running tht stuff through. I justdon't know if it will do enough to actually clean the blocks. You will probably just need to use a brush.

You may be able to run the wires a different way then.
Edited by mtrapuzz - 7/23/16 at 2:19pm
post #5 of 8
Flushing the loop with new fluid every 3-6 months is a good idea for general maintenance. Since you're already seeing some build up though, I'd do the full clean by doing a loop flush, pop the tops of your blocks and scrub them with a tooth brush, clean the res, etc. I use soft tubing and I haven't had to replace the tubes in several years, but I don't use dye or additives which can break down tubing over time. Soft tubing is cheap, so if you're worried about it just spend the 10$ for 5 ft and replace it all.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Couldn't wait for the Mayhem Blitz Basic/Part 2 to arrive so I went ahead and took the loop apart to flush with distilled. Took some pics to help paint a better picture.

Any idea what this is? Pretty sure it is a scrub job as already mentioned by you guys:



Tubing also visibly discolored, unused left over tubing from same order vs 4 month old tubing:




Currently on the third distilled flush and there still a bunch of white stuff floating around in the loop.
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velathawen View Post

Couldn't wait for the Mayhem Blitz Basic/Part 2 to arrive so I went ahead and took the loop apart to flush with distilled. Took some pics to help paint a better picture.

Any idea what this is? Pretty sure it is a scrub job as already mentioned by you guys:



Tubing also visibly discolored, unused left over tubing from same order vs 4 month old tubing:




Currently on the third distilled flush and there still a bunch of white stuff floating around in the loop.

I can't figure out what you are referring to in the first pic.
Clear tubing always discolors a bit.

And.....you didn't wait for the better cleaning solution, so......
post #8 of 8
Definitely replace the tubing.

The first picture is kind of hard to tell what is what.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Maintenance time! Questions before going forward