Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › All Memory Fails Memtest, Please Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All Memory Fails Memtest, Please Help

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Couple of days ago apps on my computer started shutting down by itself and the OS started reporting random missing files.
I thought that my SSD was failing, but it passed integrity, performance and error checks.
Soon after I started getting BSODs.

Next I tested the RAM modules. One by one in multiple motherboard slots.

All 6 RAM modules fail at the memtest86 test #4 on the third or the fourth pass (image attached at the bottom). I tested the memory on another machine and tests couldn't find any problems with the memory modules.
I took Crucial Ballistix Sport 1 x 8GB from another machine and it fails at the same test.

I don't know what to made of all this. I'm down to CPU and Motherboard. Could it be the CPU or corrupted BIOS?
What tests can I perform to make sure the CPU is not failing?

Memtest86
Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones&zeros, Sequential] - This test uses the moving inversions algorithm with patterns of all ones and zeros. Cache is enabled even though it interferes to some degree with the test algorithm. With cache enabled this test does not take long and should quickly find all "hard" errors and some more subtle errors. This test is only a quick check. This test is done sequentially with each available CPU.

Test 4 [Moving inversions, ones&zeros, Parallel] - Same as test 3 but the testing is done in parallel using all CPUs.

I'm running:
  • P6T7 WS SuperComputer Motherboard
  • Intel Xeon W3690 CPU (6 cores, 12 threads)
  • 6 x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), Timing 9-9-9-24, Voltage 1.3V-1.5V (X.M.P.)


Edited by masterdev - 7/20/16 at 10:43pm
post #2 of 46
Well if Memory fails memtest its bad memory- just claim warranty or buy new RAM- simple.
post #3 of 46
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure it's so simple. The memory is 5-6 years old I don't have the receipts.

I'm not certain that the problem is in the memory. As I mentioned I tested the RAM on another machine and it successfully passed 6 tests with no errors.
I took working memory from another machine and I got the same error messages. Fail at memtest test #4.
post #4 of 46
Could be the IMC. Running the memory at 1.65V increases the chance of that happening.
post #5 of 46
Try running the ram at it's stock frenquency (not XMP profile) it should be something like 1333 Cas 9
post #6 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq3mrd View Post

Could be the IMC. Running the memory at 1.65V increases the chance of that happening.
Sorry, that is my bad. The RAM is running in timing 9-9-9-24, Voltage 1.3V-1.5V (X.M.P.).
I don't know what I was thinking.

I did some cleaning to the RAM lanes with CRC electric cleaner, cleaned the modules and the CPU.
I switched the xeon W3690 CPU with working i7-920, and DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport 1 x 8 GB. But the memory test returned errors again, so it's not the CPU and it's not the RAM.

So I downgraded the BIOS to the official ASUS v1001 from FOONUS MOD BIOS v1102.
For now Memtest86 passed 3 passes for almost 6 hours with no errors. Hopefully it stays stable.

I will keep you all posted. I hope this resolves my issue.
Edited by masterdev - 7/20/16 at 11:05pm
post #7 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

Try running the ram at it's stock frenquency (not XMP profile) it should be something like 1333 Cas 9
Thank you for your reply.
The very first time I tested I did a reset to the defaults. None of the parts were running overclocked.
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdev View Post

Sorry, that is my bad. The RAM is running in timing 9-9-9-24, Voltage 1.3V-1.5V (X.M.P.).
I don't know what I was thinking.

I did some cleaning to the RAM lanes with CRC electric cleaner, cleaned the modules and the CPU.
I switched the xeon W3690 CPU with working i7-920, and DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport 1 x 8 GB. But the memory test returned errors again, so it's not the CPU and it's not the RAM.

So I downgraded the BIOS to the official ASUS v1001 from FOONUS MOD BIOS v1102.
For now Memtest86 passed 3 passes for almost 6 hours with no errors. Hopefully it stays stable.

I will keep you all posted. I hope this resolves my issue.

Fingers crossed then thumb.gif
post #9 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq3mrd View Post

Fingers crossed then thumb.gif
It's running for almost 15 hours now, I will let it run for another 9 hours so it passes the 24 hours period and I will install the Xeon W3960 CPU and do another Memtest.

Thanks for your support. thumb.gif

Edited by masterdev - 7/21/16 at 8:27am
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdev View Post


So I downgraded the BIOS to the official ASUS v1001 from FOONUS MOD BIOS v1102.

Might want to leave a post there and warn people about this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdev View Post

It's running for almost 15 hours now, I will let it run for another 9 hours so it passes the 24 hours period and I will install the Xeon W3960 CPU and do another Memtest.

Thanks for your support. thumb.gif

Looks like you've got it all handled nicely wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › All Memory Fails Memtest, Please Help