Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › PH-TC14PE Not Cooling an FX 8350
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PH-TC14PE Not Cooling an FX 8350 - Page 2

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

If you say so, but even modified it doesn't cool as well as the Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE Extreme using the same fans in the same case. Or the Silverstone HE01.
Have you contacted Phanteks about your PH-TC14PE issues? Something is definitely wrong with your cooler or mount if you cannot match HE01 and be very close to Silver Arrow IB-E temps. How did performance compare at different rpm, like at 1300rpm?
post #12 of 27
No I have not contacted Phanteks just because it isn't as good as some others. Is their quality control so bad that I should consider it to be defective?

It is about the same as the others at almost no loads like at 1300 rpm. That is a light gaming load and is in fact just above browsing. It is ok for everyday use. It only falls down when stress testing or X264 encoding. That is where the differences appear. It is not a 5 ghz cooler but is more of a 4.6-4.8 ghz cooler.

This is what it looked like after a day of browsing and playing Bioshock Infinite on 5-26-2016.

Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

No I have not contacted Phanteks just because it isn't as good as some others. Is their quality control so bad that I should consider it to be defective?

Do you know anything about quality assurance? Are you assuming because you single unit counts over the thousands other sold that meet review results and that because that one unit it means they're quality is bad?

Also considering your vcore goes to 1.536, you're results are to be expected almost. Keeping within thermal limits with 5GHz and 1.536v seems normal with air coolers.
post #14 of 27
Hey, you're the ones mentioning that it might be defective, not me. All I know is that it does not cool as well as the others I have used.

I wanted it to work. I really did as I was intrigued by the 6mm vs 8mm heat pipe conversation and that was the reason I bought it. I guess 6mm heat pipes really are better.
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Hey, you're the ones mentioning that it might be defective, not me. All I know is that it does not cool as well as the others I have used.

I wanted it to work. I really did as I was intrigued by the 6mm vs 8mm heat pipe conversation and that was the reason I bought it. I guess 6mm heat pipes really are better.

I'm not saying it's not defective. I'm saying even if yours is, that it happens unfrequently but it does happen. To everyone.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Hey, you're the ones mentioning that it might be defective, not me. All I know is that it does not cool as well as the others I have used.

I wanted it to work. I really did as I was intrigued by the 6mm vs 8mm heat pipe conversation and that was the reason I bought it. I guess 6mm heat pipes really are better.
You are not being rational. What you are doing is comparable to saying a spotted dog bites you every time you get near it, therefore all spotted dogs are going to bite you.

Considering how many PH-TC14PE are out there and now many have been tested and used on all kinds of CPU when overclocking with results as good as or better than other solidly sets their performance in the same catagory as other top coolers.

To me it seems there are only two possibilities;
Either you are doing something wrong
The cooler and/or mount is defective.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

No I have not contacted Phanteks just because it isn't as good as some others. Is their quality control so bad that I should consider it to be defective?

While doyll and Duality may not get it, I understand perfectly. For example, my mother purchased a Mercedes several years ago that developed a control arm knock a few months after she got it. It was a seemingly isolated case, with no recall and they repaired it under warranty. I knew right from the start that it was obviously due to Mercedes poor QC, even though the dealer tried to pass it off as an unusual occurrence. Covering it under warranty was just a smokescreen since they knew it was a QC issue. Every Mercedes on the road is nothing but a control arm issue waiting to happen. wink.gif
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

While doyll and Duality may not get it, I understand perfectly. For example, my mother purchased a Mercedes several years ago that developed a control arm knock a few months after she got it. It was a seemingly isolated case, with no recall and they repaired it under warranty. I knew right from the start that it was obviously due to Mercedes poor QC, even though the dealer tried to pass it off as an unusual occurrence. Covering it under warranty was just a smokescreen since they knew it was a QC issue. Every Mercedes on the road is nothing but a control arm issue waiting to happen. wink.gif

Actually, I do get it, it's what I do for a living. But you on the other hand, do you even know what ISO 16949 standards look like? Are you well versed in quality assurance partices? From what you're saying, to me, it's proof that you don't know anything about the matter at hand.

Regardless, I'm done with this thread. You can blame QC all you want, send me a PM when you've learned a bit about it.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

Actually, I do get it, it's what I do for a living. But you on the other hand, do you even know what ISO 16949 standards look like? Are you well versed in quality assurance partices? From what you're saying, to me, it's proof that you don't know anything about the matter at hand.

Regardless, I'm done with this thread. You can blame QC all you want, send me a PM when you've learned a bit about it.

My post was totally tongue in cheek. I was pointing out the absurdity of blaming quality control as the cause for single bad unit out of countless thousand that function correctly. thumb.gif
post #20 of 27
I have changed the mounting system to make it stronger and mounted much stronger fans and it still does not perform as well as some others.

Is it really defective or is it just the way it is because of the volume to surface area ratio?
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › PH-TC14PE Not Cooling an FX 8350