Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TechSpot] France gives Microsoft three months to stop Windows 10 from collecting "excessive" user data
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TechSpot] France gives Microsoft three months to stop Windows 10 from collecting "excessive" user data - Page 4  

post #31 of 144
French Revolution takes on Win 10 LOL

so there be version F vs N vs K
post #32 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan View Post

China, wisely, have blocked all M$py blocking by blocking all IP's to which telemetry data is being sent so M$py obtain very little information about China. Washington's lackeys in other parts of the world, however, aren't nearly as intelligent (in fact I'd rather have rats running the EU than the current fools who call themselves politicians).

Why do you say they aren't as intelligent? Because they don't have your interest at hand?

Isn't it possible that they want to allow this to happen? So that they don't have to try as hard to gather the information that they want?

China is doing all that blocking because they don't want their biggest rival to gain easy information about their country. On top of that China has a system in place to gather data on their own subjects that they trust, no need for another.
post #33 of 144
I was thinking on posting the article, directly from the CNIL
https://www.cnil.fr/en/windows-10-cnil-publicly-serves-formal-notice-microsoft-corporation-comply-french-data-protection

sigh, when going back a page and seeing comment about croissant. This is how seriously you take french ppl for...
Edited by Kimir - 7/22/16 at 6:01am
CaseLabs Panda
(29 items)
 
Bench table
(18 items)
 
Fractal White
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960X Rampage V Extreme KFA² GTX 980Ti HOF Watercooled Kingston HyperX HX426C13PB2K4/16 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ Kingston v300 Intel SSD 535 EK-Supremacy EVO - Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-Coostream XE 360 EK-Vardar F4-120ER EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario (incl. pump) Win10 / Win 8.1 / Win 7 / Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Ducky Channel Shine III MX black - white LED /... Enermax Platimax 1000w dimastech easy v3 
MouseMouse Pad
logitech G9X HyperX 900x400 / Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
CaseLabs Panda
(29 items)
 
Bench table
(18 items)
 
Fractal White
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960X Rampage V Extreme KFA² GTX 980Ti HOF Watercooled Kingston HyperX HX426C13PB2K4/16 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ Kingston v300 Intel SSD 535 EK-Supremacy EVO - Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK-Coostream XE 360 EK-Vardar F4-120ER EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario (incl. pump) Win10 / Win 8.1 / Win 7 / Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2515H Ducky Channel Shine III MX black - white LED /... Enermax Platimax 1000w dimastech easy v3 
MouseMouse Pad
logitech G9X HyperX 900x400 / Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
post #34 of 144
people just dont get it. data collecting is the same thing as spying, espionage, trespassing.
post #35 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePath View Post

What data they collect ?

Does data they collect happens anonymously ?! if so then why is that an issue ?

I don't know why many are so scared to upgrade. I never felt my privacy was violated after 1 year of using windows 10. Noting about me was stolen and leaked online or used against me in anyway. So, what are the reason to be against this Microsoft "spying" thing ?

because they don't want any1 knowing that their president is downloading hardcore pine eating
My build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8350 MSI 970 Gaming  R9 290x 4GB Evga SSC 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 evo lg thermaltek nic c4 microsoft 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
asus vq evga g2 cooler master k380 logitech 402 
  hide details  
My build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8350 MSI 970 Gaming  R9 290x 4GB Evga SSC 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 evo lg thermaltek nic c4 microsoft 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
asus vq evga g2 cooler master k380 logitech 402 
  hide details  
post #36 of 144
So,

Reading through all of this... what exactly is France's end game here? Toss all of their MS infrastructure out the Windows (pun intended) and switch to Linux? I'm not making of French people, good grief. I'm just trying to figure out what they think their end game is? Is MS recording and storing data left and right on their users (of every country)? Yeah probably. But what exactly is France threatening them with, strongly worded language? Bad P/R? Barring the US from soccer on foreign soil?

I mean c'mon...
post #37 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRichard View Post

But what exactly is France threatening them with, strongly worded language? Bad P/R? Barring the US from soccer on foreign soil?

I mean c'mon...

Several billion fine as seen in the past. Just by escalating it to the EU authorities. Cuz you know that France is a founder member of the EU, right?
post #38 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRichard View Post

So,

Reading through all of this... what exactly is France's end game here? Toss all of their MS infrastructure out the Windows (pun intended) and switch to Linux? I'm not making of French people, good grief. I'm just trying to figure out what they think their end game is? Is MS recording and storing data left and right on their users (of every country)? Yeah probably. But what exactly is France threatening them with, strongly worded language? Bad P/R? Barring the US from soccer on foreign soil?

I mean c'mon...


Sorry but I feel like I should link here one of those "world as seen by americans" maps

France is 66 million people strong market - one of the most important in EU.
It's also home to plenty of European corporations which have their HQs there.
post #39 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by early View Post

Because that's how Facebook works, by design. Facebook literally cannot work without having your personal data. Windows can. An OS does not require your data to function.
Is this really so hard to understand?
Why do some people keep making these nonsensical comparisons? (OS vs website/app)

*sigh* So many people on here are missing the entire concept. This is about excessive data. Facebook takes information that is 100% unnecessary for your normal usage. THAT is the comparison being made. Not that you have to give things like your name so it can display your name. Facebook parses through the data in all of your posts to target ads and other things. They are able to do this because you are putting that information into their product. Windows is the exact same. You are using apps through Windows the same way your are posting through Facebook. Software is software is software. Tracking the use of apps in Windows is no different from parsing through the messages you put on Facebook, except for the fact that knowing how people use programs in an OS is probably way more useful in creating a better OS than knowing that somebody brought up the words "fly" and Hawaii" in a post on Facebook is for making Facebook better.
My giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 lapped Asus P5n32-E 680i GeForce 9800GT 512MB 2x1GB (unused ATM) & 2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WDJS SATA-II 160GB + WD80GB + WDAAKS Raid0 320GB Aperature FSII 19" LCD Apevia DarkSide 600W 
Case
NZXT Zero 
  hide details  
My giant
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6600 lapped Asus P5n32-E 680i GeForce 9800GT 512MB 2x1GB (unused ATM) & 2x2Gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
WDJS SATA-II 160GB + WD80GB + WDAAKS Raid0 320GB Aperature FSII 19" LCD Apevia DarkSide 600W 
Case
NZXT Zero 
  hide details  
post #40 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirmie View Post

*sigh* So many people on here are missing the entire concept. This is about excessive data. Facebook takes information that is 100% unnecessary for your normal usage. THAT is the comparison being made. Not that you have to give things like your name so it can display your name. Facebook parses through the data in all of your posts to target ads and other things. They are able to do this because you are putting that information into their product. Windows is the exact same. You are using apps through Windows the same way your are posting through Facebook. Software is software is software. Tracking the use of apps in Windows is no different from parsing through the messages you put on Facebook, except for the fact that knowing how people use programs in an OS is probably way more useful in creating a better OS than knowing that somebody brought up the words "fly" and Hawaii" in a post on Facebook is for making Facebook better.

But Microsoft isn't Facebook now is it. It isn't a social media website it is a OS that is suppose to make a computer run. Not make it so that it can look at how many fruit punch ive recently looked at and will now show me ads for how to enlarge my pineapples or who had the best melons or how to hookup with some strawberries who are ready to get freaky. No I want a OS that is there that is suppose to do its job in letting me run programs and let me use the internet the way I want it without having to worry about any1 watching and posting ads bout my fetishes
My build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8350 MSI 970 Gaming  R9 290x 4GB Evga SSC 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 evo lg thermaltek nic c4 microsoft 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
asus vq evga g2 cooler master k380 logitech 402 
  hide details  
My build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8350 MSI 970 Gaming  R9 290x 4GB Evga SSC 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
samsung 850 evo lg thermaltek nic c4 microsoft 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
asus vq evga g2 cooler master k380 logitech 402 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TechSpot] France gives Microsoft three months to stop Windows 10 from collecting "excessive" user data