Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [NextPowerUp] Windows 10 Warns About Chrome Battery Drain, Recommends Edge
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[NextPowerUp] Windows 10 Warns About Chrome Battery Drain, Recommends Edge - Page 4

post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by serothis View Post

Because google doesn't have the access to the depths of my computer.

Different environments come with different levels of expected privacy. When i'm out in public I'm in public. I don't expect to have complete privacy. As a result I curb my actions. Stuff I have in my car, I expect more privacy but I acknowledge that people can peep in through the windows. I keep personal items in there but I keep them out of view. In my home I expect high levels of privacy.

The same is true with computers. I acknowledge that what I do on the web is probably being tracked by everyone and their mother. As such I'm careful about what I post online. For example I don't post my home address on a public forum. What I do on my phone is more private but I acknowledge that there is still lots of tracking. I might store some pictures and some private information (like my home address) but there's still a limit to the sensitively that I'm willing to put on my phone. However it is more than I would post online. On my private computer I expect high levels of privacy. It's where I store very sensitive information like, tax information, employment information, investments, my medical records, etc. None of this would be found on my phone.

The reason Microsoft get's more criticism than google is because they have access to areas where a higher levels of expected privacy exists.
Yeah the same way people use Antiviruses that scan the entire HDD over and over again but they have less confidence in Microsoft than an unknown little software company.
Google last I check scans your emails for example and knows everything that there is to know about you but it seems that you are more concerned with the fact that Microsoft could find out about your porn collection or I don't know what else.
I don't understand what higher level privacy are you talking about when people are more than 90% of the time online, if I would not be connected to the internet I would very rarely use my PC. So Google or Facebooks action are just as concerning if not more but I guess it's now in fashion to bash Microsoft.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post

Here's me wishing that linux gets adopted more. I tried it myself but linux gaming isn't the best.
Linux beside running server VMs isn't the best for anything unfortunately. Even developing on Linux for Linux is a pain in the neck.
I mean sure, you can do your regular office work of web/email/documents as long as you hide the unified NIX file/folder tree from the users and the company/person is ok with not using MS Office for documents which itself can be a deal breaker for advanced users or older documents though I think that has gotten better as the .doc/xls was reversed or something.
Overall it's rather limiting.

On a different note, can't you simply disable all notifications?
Has MS seen how much power Firefox uses when playing videos on a webpage? It's crazy, it can happily eat 2 cores of a CPU at high resolutions because of unoptimized crap flash.

These days Windows is just yet another advertising platform like web is and how even book readers have become.

Any sight of add free Windows version?
Windows Home
Windows Pro
Windows Enterprise
Windows Add free

biggrin.gif
Edited by JackCY - 7/26/16 at 12:43am
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash4fun View Post

That's fine and dandy that Microsoft offers those free services you mention. I'll even say it's great that they do and they have come a long way, especially with their Android offerings. I never said Microsoft was trying to steal anything.

Funny how you were pretending that Microsoft doesn't offer you similar services for free as well and now you are trying to minimize it.
So based on this logic you are wrong and Microsoft is just as justified to collect data.
Quote:
All I want from Microsoft is a stable operating system, I'd pay them well for it provided adequate support and less nagging built in. At this point I'm having better success with the initial roll-out of Ubuntu 16.04 then when Windows 10 was released. Your personal software choices do vary from mine, so we can probably agree to disagree there. However they do tend to self advertise, and pre-install a lot of things instead of giving you choice on installation. I can't explain why Skype never came back for you, it has for me. Maybe we took different upgrade paths. I just remember removing it after I first upgraded, then in October it was re-enabled along with Onedrive. Honestly the DVR thing made me gag when I found out. And the forced windows update are kind of meh too, along with the naggy update message on my Windows 7 machines.

Windows 10 has been rock solid for me and I have been on insider builds for the last 10 months.
I also successfully tested it on multiple PCs. Only one laptop had performance problems(mainly because I wasn't a clean install) but they were fixed with a reset of the OS.
Microsoft had problems with 1 or 2 updates at the end of last year when it was reactivating your privacy settings and reinstalling certain apps but it was fixed since then. I always checked my settings after I install a major update and haven't encountered this problem since last year.
So your rant was based on something that has been fixed for many months.

Quote:
I'll just say Microsoft is generally improving, but their past misdeeds have made me skeptical of them. Yes Google uses my info to advertise to me, but they provide me web based & mobile based applications that have cross platform support, something that Microsoft is just starting to get their hands into. It can be creepy at times, but Google has made it pretty clear what data they take and why.

Microsoft is not starting to get their hands on anything, they have been providing similar free apps and services for years now.
Google doesn't collect your data to give you free stuff they do it to make money. You talk like they are the good guy or something.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serios View Post

Funny how you were pretending that Microsoft doesn't offer you similar services for free as well and now you are trying to minimize it.
So based on this logic you are wrong and Microsoft is just as justified to collect data.
Windows 10 has been rock solid for me and I have been on insider builds for the last 10 months.
I also successfully tested it on multiple PCs. Only one laptop had performance problems(mainly because I wasn't a clean install) but they were fixed with a reset of the OS.
Microsoft had problems with 1 or 2 updates at the end of last year when it was reactivating your privacy settings and reinstalling certain apps but it was fixed since then. I always checked my settings after I install a major update and haven't encountered this problem since last year.
So your rant was based on something that has been fixed for many months.
Microsoft is not starting to get their hands on anything, they have been providing similar free apps and services for years now.
Google doesn't collect your data to give you free stuff they do it to make money. You talk like they are the good guy or something.

I'm not trying to make an argument for the sake of arguing, just to provide my view here. Considering we are talking about Windows 10 and not web services, I never really looked into the Office Online stuff available through your live account. I've known they offer such things but I guess at a certain point you have to pick one or the other, and Google did it right first.

Anyway I don't see what that has to do with Windows 10 (an OS), requiring you to have a live account and all of that. I just want my OS to be my OS, not connected to the cloud unless I tell it to do so. Even with Android I've always rooted my device and placed minimal Google apps on there because I like having choice. There are a lot of settings for what data Google collects from me, and what is needed for certain services to work.

I'm happy for you that Windows 10 has been rock solid... oh besides that one laptop right? Well that's a big problem for others that have laptops and tablets, even my wife's tablet coming from Windows 8.1 had touch input issues. They were testing Windows 10 on one laptop at my job and it would BSOD all the time because of display driver issues. My laptop would lose internet in less then 2 minutes. Very messy roll out, but I will admit (at risk of you going HAHA!) that it is a lot better now. The real issue is that at the time, they recommended to people (with their confusing upgrade dialogue with the close button meaning OK GO AHEAD!) to go with Windows 10 when at the time it wasn't ready for stable use.

I'm glad Microsoft has worked right for you, and perhaps certain things do not bother you. But don't sit there acting confused as to why people have a problem with Microsoft at times (and for quite specific reasons).
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serios View Post

Yeah the same way people use Antiviruses that scan the entire HDD over and over again but they have less confidence in Microsoft than an unknown little software company.
Google last I check scans your emails for example and knows everything that there is to know about you but it seems that you are more concerned with the fact that Microsoft could find out about your porn collection or I don't know what else.
I don't understand what higher level privacy are you talking about when people are more than 90% of the time online, if I would not be connected to the internet I would very rarely use my PC. So Google or Facebooks action are just as concerning if not more but I guess it's now in fashion to bash Microsoft.

Seriously? I can’t tell if you’re intentionally creating a strawman argument or if you just go lazy and didn’t bother reading my whole post. So let me quote myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serothis View Post

On my private computer I expect high levels of privacy. It's where I store very sensitive information like, tax information, employment information, investments, my medical records, etc. None of this would be found on my phone.

I will add that none of this information is in any of my email accounts. I would assume that I didn't need to say this but I will anyway. I also don't keep any of this information on my facebook page.
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by serothis View Post

Seriously? I can’t tell if you’re intentionally creating a strawman argument or if you just go lazy and didn’t bother reading my whole post. So let me quote myself.
I will add that none of this information is in any of my email accounts. I would assume that I didn't need to say this but I will anyway. I also don't keep any of this information on my facebook page.

If you dont trust the company, don't use their software. Don't support them by buying their "other/older" software, don't help their market share by using grey market keys, just stop using it completely. Go to something else.

It really is that easy. You can get into pretty much any document format under any OS in this day and age, there is no excuse. At worst you need to bifurcate your gaming and work/personal information. Partition your drive and dual boot if you want security or a higher level of trust.

If you keep supporting the bad habits of a company you should expect more of the same behavior. You are telling them "Ill buy/use it, even if I don't like it"
Edited by KarathKasun - 7/26/16 at 7:23am
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
μRyzen
(12 items)
 
Mini Box
(4 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen R5 1400 MSI B350M Gaming Pro Zotac GTX 670 4GB G.SKILL FORTIS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
WD Green 3tb Wraith Stealth Windows 10 Debian 8.7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
ViewSonic VX-2257-8 Chinese backlit mechanical Kingwin 850w Chinese laser optical 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 5350 Asus AM1I-A EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC 2x4GB DDR 3 1333 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

If you dont trust the company, don't use their software. Don't support them by buying their "other/older" software, don't help their market share by using grey market keys, just stop using it completely. Go to something else.

It really is that easy. You can get into pretty much any document format under any OS in this day and age, there is no excuse. At worst you need to bifurcate your gaming and work/personal information. Partition your drive and dual boot if you want security or a higher level of trust.

If you keep supporting the bad habits of a company you should expect more of the same behavior. You are telling them "Ill buy/use it, even if I don't like it"
Agreed, I've been trying to go exclusively Ubuntu for the past 6 years... but DirectX is the only thing requiring me to dual boot. My dev laptop doesn't have dual boot anymore now though biggrin.gif
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarathKasun View Post

If you dont trust the company, don't use their software. Don't support them by buying their "other/older" software, don't help their market share by using grey market keys, just stop using it completely. Go to something else.

It really is that easy. You can get into pretty much any document format under any OS in this day and age, there is no excuse. At worst you need to bifurcate your gaming and work/personal information. Partition your drive and dual boot if you want security or a higher level of trust.

If you keep supporting the bad habits of a company you should expect more of the same behavior. You are telling them "Ill buy/use it, even if I don't like it"

That’s all well and good from an idealist PoV but not always practical or possible. Even if you use all of these good security measures, this doesn’t change or dispute my original argument. The expectation of privacy is very high on your personal computer. Higher than your email, phone or FB page.

If Microsoft (or any OS developer) violates that, they should be criticized. The reason google and FB don’t get the same level of criticism is because they don’t’ have access to the same level of sensitive information.
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Langour
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.7ghz MSI p67a-gd80 MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 960mhz Mushkin Ridgeback 8gb (2 x 4gb) 
Hard DrivePowerCase
WD blue caviar 1T; Mushkin Castillo SSD 60gb Corsair 850HX Corsair 600T Special Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash4fun View Post

Even with Android I've always rooted my device and placed minimal Google apps on there because I like having choice.

Then you have nothing to complain when you can do the same whit Windows.
Case closed.
post #40 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serios View Post

Then you have nothing to complain when you can do the same whit Windows.
Case closed.
Not really, have you forgotten that the data mining cant be disabled in win10? rolleyes.gif There are no choices in win10, no matter if you want it or not MS will force their decisions onto you through the forced updates...
Dark Repulser
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5 4670K MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821) Sapphire R9 290X 2xCORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 CML8GX... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 2x alphacool nexxxos xt45 360 Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block 2x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus with aquacover... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT Phobya reservoir Windows 7 HP 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Kubuntu LG IPS277L LG W2486L LG 27MU67-B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SpeedLink DarkSky black XFX Pro 650W Modular Edition Fractal Design Define S Logitech M705 
Audio
Integrated devices 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Repulser
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I5 4670K MSI Z87-G55 (MS-7821) Sapphire R9 290X 2xCORSAIR 8GB Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 CML8GX... 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung SSD 850 Pro 2x alphacool nexxxos xt45 360 Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block 2x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1Plus with aquacover... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Aquacomputer cuplex kryos PRO Aquacomputer aquaero 6 XT Phobya reservoir Windows 7 HP 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Kubuntu LG IPS277L LG W2486L LG 27MU67-B 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SpeedLink DarkSky black XFX Pro 650W Modular Edition Fractal Design Define S Logitech M705 
Audio
Integrated devices 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [NextPowerUp] Windows 10 Warns About Chrome Battery Drain, Recommends Edge