Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Power supply surges detected when gaming. Causing PC to restart. What's going on!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Power supply surges detected when gaming. Causing PC to restart. What's going on!?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Not sure if this should be in the PSU or here section but as the title states whenever I play 3D games my computer will just restart. Then i'm given this screen.



My motherboard has a build in surge protector, so it's getting tripped when these surges are detected.

Then it puts me into the bios screen which looks like this.



Obviously the red bar and red numbers stick out but one thing to note is it looks like this even if I access the bios without the surge protector being tripped. I did a bit of testing and I just have no idea how to determine if it's my PSU, or GPU, or even possibly my MOBO if that's possible.

My first thought was maybe there was a problem with the sensor, but I didn't want to test it. Well I ended up testing it accidentally anyway. It's not the sensor. A couple weeks ago I turned my surge protection off in my bios settings. I forgot about it and fired up Rocket League with my brother. Normally this game crashes my entire computer immediately but it was working. So we played a few rounds and they seemed fine. Then suddenly the game crashed to desktop. Thinking it may have been a one time thing we fired it back up. We got several more games in and then I noticed it getting choppy and the frame rate declining. Shortly after it started getting really choppy and then crashed again. Then it hit me. I turned my surge protector off! So that to me would be a good indication it's not the sensor and there's a real problem here.

Any ideas on what I should do next? I'd really appreciate some direction here.

The last thing i'll mention is the more demanding the game the quicker my surge protector trips. Rocket League crashes literally within the first 30 seconds every time. Sometimes right away. Civilization 5 however will run for a couple hours sometimes, but usually eventually crashes too.

I hope this is something I can fix! Little worried it's not.

Thanks!
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 14
First off When did this start happening?
Is this a new build?
Have you upgraded any HW or SW?
Any bad storms?


Should be getting 3.3v but getting 2.94v that is a little low compared to the parameters of the others. I would see if you can try another PSU if you have one laying around.
post #3 of 14
What brand of power supply is it? Model and Watts as well?
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0nAU View Post

What brand of power supply is it? Model and Watts as well?

Ya that info too if the PSU isn't the one in your sig.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude100 View Post

First off When did this start happening?
Is this a new build?
Have you upgraded any HW or SW?
Any bad storms?


Should be getting 3.3v but getting 2.94v that is a little low compared to the parameters of the others. I would see if you can try another PSU if you have one laying around.

To be honest I thought the red bar meant it was too high not too low. That and considering it's a surge protector so it's protecting against over-voltage. is it idling low but possibly getting to much when it's working? Sorry I don't know much about this particular type of issue.

MY PSU is actually a little different than the one in my sig. I forget why but I ended up getting a Corsair HX850W.

It's not a new build. It started happening i'll say about 3 months ago. About 12ish months ago I accidentally fried my GPU by leaving a prong from a bunched up power cord on it during a move. Found a tiny scorch mark on it frown.gif. I feigned ignorance and RMA'D it. I'm not sure if they sent me a replacement card of "fixed" the one I sent back, but after several months of not really gaming I learned the 3D cores weren't activating, or something. The card was powering my monitor and the computer recognized it but the fans didn't spin up or anything when I launched a game and the frame rates were horrible. The card was doing nothing. That went on for several months. One day it just kind of started to work. Everything was fine for a couple of months and now withing the last 3 of so this has been happening.

No bad storms that I can recall from before this started happening and no HW or SW upgrades really. Just the latest Nvidia drives as they come out. I feel like when one did is when the card started working again.
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameMakingSux View Post

To be honest I thought the red bar meant it was too high not too low. That and considering it's a surge protector so it's protecting against over-voltage. is it idling low but possibly getting to much when it's working? Sorry I don't know much about this particular type of issue.

MY PSU is actually a little different than the one in my sig. I forget why but I ended up getting a Corsair HX850W.

It's not a new build. It started happening i'll say about 3 months ago. About 12ish months ago I accidentally fried my GPU by leaving a prong from a bunched up power cord on it during a move. Found a tiny scorch mark on it frown.gif. I feigned ignorance and RMA'D it. I'm not sure if they sent me a replacement card of "fixed" the one I sent back, but after several months of not really gaming I learned the 3D cores weren't activating, or something. The card was powering my monitor and the computer recognized it but the fans didn't spin up or anything when I launched a game and the frame rates were horrible. The card was doing nothing. That went on for several months. One day it just kind of started to work. Everything was fine for a couple of months and now withing the last 3 of so this has been happening.

No bad storms that I can recall from before this started happening and no HW or SW upgrades really. Just the latest Nvidia drives as they come out. I feel like when one did is when the card started working again.

Maybe you created a direct short somewhere within the PSU's PCB somehow. Sometimes they will act is if they are normal but can overheat quite quickly if a fault is present.

It's also very common for Asus's anti-surge to be triggered by something that the Motherboard thinks is somewhat abnormal. Check the CPU and GPU voltages on idle and see if they seem normal as well as if you get a chance before the PC shuts down under load. PSU may by supplying or the CPU/GPU may be drawing to much voltage and causing the anti-surge to have a conniption. smile.gif
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0nAU View Post

Maybe you created a direct short somewhere within the PSU's PCB somehow. Sometimes they will act is if they are normal but can overheat quite quickly if a fault is present.

It's also very common for Asus's anti-surge to be triggered by something that the Motherboard thinks is somewhat abnormal. Check the CPU and GPU voltages on idle and see if they seem normal as well as if you get a chance before the PC shuts down under load. PSU may by supplying or the CPU/GPU may be drawing to much voltage and causing the anti-surge to have a conniption. smile.gif

The reason I don't think it's just Asus's anti-surge being finnicky is the performance issues and crashing I experienced when I turned it off.

Against my better judgement I turned off the anti-surge to get you what you asked for xD

Idle temps:



After playing Rocket League for about 15 minutes: (which seemed surprisingly problem free)
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameMakingSux View Post

The reason I don't think it's just Asus's anti-surge being finnicky is the performance issues and crashing I experienced when I turned it off.

Against my better judgement I turned off the anti-surge to get you what you asked for xD

Idle temps:



After playing Rocket League for about 15 minutes: (which seemed surprisingly problem free)

Strange. That does looks somewhat normal under load dosent it... Would the game have already crashed before 15 minutes or is this the longest that you have been able to have your system under load before surge protection kicks in?
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0nAU View Post

Strange. That does looks somewhat normal under load dosent it... Would the game have already crashed before 15 minutes or is this the longest that you have been able to have your system under load before surge protection kicks in?

Oh yes. Keep in mind this was with surge protection off. But with anti-surge on Rocket League and my whole computer would crash within the first 30 seconds every single time. I can't even get into a match. When I had it off the other day i'd approximate I got 20 and then 40 minutes of gaming in before it CTD'd on me. I could just play until it crashes. And then take a screenshot of what it looks like then, if that helps.
Edited by NameMakingSux - 8/1/16 at 10:11pm
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
COMPYTRON-9000
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k ASUS P8-Z68 V PRO Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Generic DVD RW Noctua  Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Corsair 850w Professional Silverstone  Mionix Naos 5000 
Audio
KRK Rokit 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameMakingSux View Post

Oh yes. With anti-surge on Rocket League chrashes within the first 30 seconds every single time. I can't even get into a match. When I had it off the other day i'd approximate I got 20 and then 40 minutes of gaming in before it CTD'd on me. I could just play until it crashes. And then take a screenshot of what it looks like then, if that helps.

That may help yeah thumb.gif I'm leaning towards this either being a GPU or PSU issue but still unsure as to which (could even be both) I shall continue to think thinking.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Power supply surges detected when gaming. Causing PC to restart. What's going on!?