Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Steam]July Hardware Survey, 1080/1070 market share updates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Steam]July Hardware Survey, 1080/1070 market share updates - Page 3

post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

"Engineered to be a truncated part"?, GP 106 is fabbed as a whole die and sold as 1060 with nothing disabled, it is a full die product, not a "dicarded 1080" as you claim


Yes, how about you see those 660/760/960 showing up higher on Steam when everyone here knows AMD had better card on the market at the time those cards were sold? You think RX 460/470 would reverse that how? rolleyes.gif People are just as un-informed about Nvidia vs AMD as they were 2-3 year ago.

People aren't uninformed, they're misinformed. The low tiered nvidia cards sold so well because people were persuaded to believe they outperformed the AMD counterparts by reviewers who act like the nvidia versions are spectacular yet have little good or little at all to say about the AMD cards. "It's just another rebrand of xxx" vs "it offers great performance and efficiency" even when that rebrand is still better for a better price and has barely worse efficiency. Seems like only the lesser known review sites do anything interesting anymore or take any risks with their reviews, the bigger sites just feel like it's a c/p
post #22 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkenietz View Post

People aren't uninformed, they're misinformed. The low tiered nvidia cards sold so well because people were persuaded to believe they outperformed the AMD counterparts by reviewers who act like the nvidia versions are spectacular yet have little good or little at all to say about the AMD cards. "It's just another rebrand of xxx" vs "it offers great performance and efficiency" even when that rebrand is still better for a better price and has barely worse efficiency. Seems like only the lesser known review sites do anything interesting anymore or take any risks with their reviews, the bigger sites just feel like it's a c/p

Whether they are uninformed or misinformed doesn't change a thing.

The same misinforming reviewers will be reviewing 460/470 this gen and the same people will buy based on their reviews, therefore the market share picture isn't going to change even if AMD comes out with better low end product this gen.

Because in the end it is marketing that sells product to the masses, performance only sell the cards to the geeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

Accuracy of the information is more important than frequent jibberish partial information. IMO.
There are people that buy shares according to best guess of market share they can find that second.

The best available information should be presented(with caveats) instead of being hidden because it is not as accurate as something far in the future. You can always have perfect information, if you wait until that information have lost all value to anybody.
Edited by sherlock - 8/2/16 at 10:01am
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Whether they are uninformed or misinformed doesn't change a thing.

The same misinforming reviewers will be reviewing 460/470 this gen and the same people will buy based on their reviews, therefore the market share picture isn't going to change even if AMD comes out with better low end product this gen.

Because in the end it is marketing that sells product to the masses, performance only sell the cards to the geeks.
There are people that buy shares according to best guess of market share they can find that second.

The best available information should be presented(with caveats) instead of being hidden because it is not as accurate as something far in the future. You can always have perfect information, if you wait until that information have lost all value to anybody.

I don't disagree but I feel there is a better chance of reviewers painting a better picture this gen, if only for the fact that they're actually releasing something new. As long as Nvidia doesn't have a 1050 ready and waiting, there's nothing for them to recommend otherwise so it's possible that they'll get a nod from reviewers. The 480 was overall well received and it seems like the long paper launch along with AMD not shouting false promises from the rooftop seems to have actually helped the image as well. The 460 doesn't seem to offer much over what has already been available from AMD for some time now, just better efficiency, but the 470 could shake things up if it lives up to its potential.

The 460 could steal away potential buyers of the 950, whoever they may be at this point.
post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Because in the end it is marketing that sells product to the masses, performance only sell the cards to the geeks.
This is where nVidia is king.. they have strong branding and know how to present a new product to create massive hype and over-inflate people's perception of its capabilities (1080 GTX twice as fast as Titan X ***** "caveat in vr only" written in the smallest print on the planet). nVidia are the apple of computer hardware (much like Razer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

There are people that buy shares according to best guess of market share they can find that second.
I don't know about that.. they buy shares in anticipation of a strong product launch. Once the product is launched share prices have already spiked.
post #25 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Patekar View Post

This is where nVidia is king.. they have strong branding and know how to present a new product to create massive hype and over-inflate people's perception of its capabilities (1080 GTX twice as fast as Titan X ***** "caveat in vr only" written in the smallest print on the planet). nVidia are the apple of computer hardware (much like Razer).

Don't forget, 4gb* of gddr5! rolleyes.gifredface.gif
post #26 of 73
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkenietz View Post

I don't disagree but I feel there is a better chance of reviewers painting a better picture this gen, if only for the fact that they're actually releasing something new. As long as Nvidia doesn't have a 1050 ready and waiting, there's nothing for them to recommend otherwise so it's possible that they'll get a nod from reviewers. The 480 was overall well received and it seems like the long paper launch along with AMD not shouting false promises from the rooftop seems to have actually helped the image as well. The 460 doesn't seem to offer much over what has already been available from AMD for some time now, just better efficiency, but the 470 could shake things up if it lives up to its potential.

The 460 could steal away potential buyers of the 950, whoever they may be at this point.

480 wasn't that well received on prominent sites like Techreport and PCPer compared to 1060, they all hammered it on Power Consumption, PCIE overdraw(little publicity on its fix), hot running, 4GB and AIB avaliablity & limited OC room. Whereas 1060 was imo universally better received with its low power draw, higher OC room, AIB avaliablity at launch and its DX 12 performance gets swipped under the rug. In the end I'd say AMD lost the marekting round on 480 vs 1060.

We will see if the trend continues with 460/470, the one thing Nvidia consistently does since Titan is have provide a better Reference card than AMD and since most major site's most popular review is done Ref vs Ref this puts Nvidia further ahead than they are(290/290X hobbled by their bad blower & quiet mode in reviews comes to mind).
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake 1080 FTW
(18 items)
 
XPS 15
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K  ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger EVGA 1080 FTW TridentZ DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung SM951 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB Muskin Reactor 1TB Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Baracuda 2TB ST2000DM001 HDD Corsair H110i GT Windows 10 Pro  Acer XB321HK 32" 4K G-sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Rapid Fire EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 NZXT H440 Black Logitech G900  
Mouse PadOther
Razer Vespula CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave UPS Syst... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-7700HQ 2.8Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo) Dell XPS 15-9560 Nvidia GTX 1050 8GB DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
256GB PCIE SSD Windows 10 Pro 15.6" 1080p 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

480 wasn't that well received on prominent sites like Techreport and PCPer compared to 1060, they all hammered it on Power Consumption, PCIE overdraw(little publicity on its fix), hot running, 4GB and AIB avaliablity & limited OC room. Whereas 1060 was imo universally better received with its low power draw, higher OC room, AIB avaliablity at launch and its DX 12 performance gets swipped under the rug. In the end I'd say AMD lost the marekting round on 480 vs 1060.

We will see if the trend continues with 460/470, the one thing Nvidia consistently does since Titan is have provide a better Reference card than AMD and since most major site's most popular review is done Ref vs Ref this puts Nvidia further ahead than they are(290/290X hobbled by their bad blower & quiet mode in reviews comes to mind).

I've never read a pcper review, tho yes tpu did do those things. I will say w1zzard seems to be losing touch. Tpu has been my go to site for years and lately I've been disappointed by nearly every review he's done. Also his 3% oc figure is quite baffling, then the performance summary snaffu doesn't help his credibility as of late either which all goes in line with my prior statement of the larger sites taking turn for the worse. Does Anand even do reviews anymore or just have his people do previews?

AMD did mess up with the reference card but as for the efficiency numbers, any reviewers making a fuss about consumption numbers imo is just trolling at this point. A few years ago a 600w psu was only sufficient for mid end systems. Now any high end single card and some multicard systems can be run on less than 600w. If cards being so efficient is such a priority, someone needs to tell the psu oems because there aren't many high quality low wattage models yet.

Several of these issues aren't issues at all tho, the higher heat and higher power consumption are based around inherent differences in the way the cards work. It's not a mistake as reviewers make it seem, more hardware takes more power and produces more heat. While the result is not a good thing per se, it's hardly as bad as it's made out to be
post #28 of 73
What I get out of these surveys is that a lot of people use really crappy garbage GPUs.
Like GTX 660, GT cards even, 8800 series
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

What I get out of these surveys is that a lot of people use really crappy garbage GPUs.
Like GTX 660, GT cards even, 8800 series

Those were crappy gpus? rolleyes.gif I mean sure they're dust compared to whats available now, but they were great back then. Also those still running a card like that probably don't even game or play games that need the power of a modern gpu.
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
Malinka Kalinka
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k 4.2GHz MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Asus GTX 980 Ti Strix G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 6 140mm Fractal Design Case Fans Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell S2417DG CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-i  Cooler Master V750 Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 
MouseAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Chroma Philips Fidelio X2 Logitech Z623 200 W 2.1 Speaker System 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightDee8D View Post

Accuracy of the information is more important than frequent jibberish partial information. IMO. smile.gif

Nobody buys gpu based on market share anyway.

Just because Steam doesn't have every user take a survey doesn't make it any less accurate within margin of error. However the sample must be truly random and the results are good statistically.
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
^_^
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2600K ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
CoolingMonitorPowerCase
Noctua D14 Asus VG248QE Corsair TX 750 V2 Corsair 650D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G400, MX518, G500, G5, IMO 1.1, IME 3.0, Deatha... fUnC 1030, QCK+, QCK Heavy, PureTrak Talent Whi... X-Fi Titanium HD Sennheiser HD555 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2.4GHz Intel HD 4000 8GB 256GB SSD 
Monitor
2880 x 1800 Retina 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Steam]July Hardware Survey, 1080/1070 market share updates