Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] RX 470 Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] RX 470 Reviews - Page 32

post #311 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Im seeing a difference of about 5-10 frames and price difference of $70 (in stock). Personally, i 'd go for the 470 and also recommend one. If ppl want to spend dat extra $ for those frames, then go for the 1060. I also dont mind getting optimized updates throughout a good span of the cards life, then worry about the card being put in the legacy catergory 1 year later. thats just me though. To each their own.
GCN 1.0 is kind of legacy now, the new features are not supported always and even in games and apps they often need 1.1. So all the 7970/280/280x are getting screwed with the launch of 4xx series now. I just got rid of mine but still waiting for refund from ASUS frown.gif

The 1.0 is getting too old, I don't remember the details but it's been mentioned on OCN "Q&A" with AMD too I think.
Such as no trueaudio, no freesync, possibly Vulkan work in progress but I think it works.
Edited by JackCY - 8/6/16 at 10:58am
post #312 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

GCN 1.0 is kind of legacy now, the new features are not supported always and even in games and apps they often need 1.1. So all the 7970/280/280x are getting screwed with the launch of 4xx series now. I just got rid of mine but still waiting for refund from ASUS frown.gif

The 1.0 is getting too old, I don't remember the details but it's been mentioned on OCN "Q&A" with AMD too I think.
Such as no trueaudio, no freesync, possibly Vulkan work in progress but I think it works.

I agree that 1.0 is quite old at this point, but the features you mentioned aren't holding anything back. Trueaudio only matters if you're using monitor speakers through your gpu right? And freesync only matters if you're using a freesync monitor. I thought even 7 series got a bump in doom with Vulcan
post #313 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

GCN 1.0 is kind of legacy now, the new features are not supported always and even in games and apps they often need 1.1. So all the 7970/280/280x are getting screwed with the launch of 4xx series now. I just got rid of mine but still waiting for refund from ASUS frown.gif

The 1.0 is getting too old, I don't remember the details but it's been mentioned on OCN "Q&A" with AMD too I think.
Such as no trueaudio, no freesync, possibly Vulkan work in progress but I think it works.

Remember that GCN is still used in consoles. GCN2 and there is not much difference between GCN1 and GCN2.
post #314 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkenietz View Post

I agree that 1.0 is quite old at this point, but the features you mentioned aren't holding anything back. Trueaudio only matters if you're using monitor speakers through your gpu right? And freesync only matters if you're using a freesync monitor. I thought even 7 series got a bump in doom with Vulcan
I think it's used to offload effects from CPU to GPU. In 4xx it's in shaders not DSP anymore. Nvidia now has something similar with that ray traced audio they presented with Paxwell. Computing audio is expensive but for most developers it is the last on the list when it comes to time invested and resources allowed. Some games need a really good audio though, otherwise the immersion is bad.
post #315 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

I think it's used to offload effects from CPU to GPU. In 4xx it's in shaders not DSP anymore. Nvidia now has something similar with that ray traced audio they presented with Paxwell. Computing audio is expensive but for most developers it is the last on the list when it comes to time invested and resources allowed. Some games need a really good audio though, otherwise the immersion is bad.

This is why I still use sound cards on all of my pc's. Yes, cpu's are far more powerful and not affected performance wise like they were a 10 years ago (and they made a huge difference on cpu bound games) but having a dedicated part aside from the gpu or cpu to handle the processing is a big benefit. Onboard sound still has a long way to go.
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
The Struggle (4k)
(20 items)
 
File Server
(12 items)
 
Lenovo G50-45
(6 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMOS
Athlon II X2 250u Nvidia 6150SE  2gb DDR3 1066mhz Windows 10 Home 64 bit 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
AMD A8-6410 AMD R5 Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3L 1866 CAS10 Crucial BX100 250gb 
Optical DriveOS
DVD Windows 10 Home 
  hide details  
Reply
post #316 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

This is why I still use sound cards on all of my pc's. Yes, cpu's are far more powerful and not affected performance wise like they were a 10 years ago (and they made a huge difference on cpu bound games) but having a dedicated part aside from the gpu or cpu to handle the processing is a big benefit. Onboard sound still has a long way to go.
I did not find the Creative or Asus consumer cards that useful. Sure Creative was nice before Realtek had decent audio but ALC1150 and newer there is no difference for games, movies. I'm not even sure what the cards nowadays accelerate and take away from CPU that onboard doesn't? There is also onboard Creative audio.
I'm not sure the modern consumer grade audio cards provide acceleration for audio processing, they simply try to give the user a better DAC and outputs, that's about it for me. Might just as well get an external audio via optic or USB no?
post #317 of 437
I use Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 mostly for instrument in but sound quality seems better over my z77 extreme4 onboard
post #318 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCLimax View Post

You do notice the $4.99 shipping charge on the 470s yeah?

But hey, you win. 1 card on Newegg is near the so called MSRP.
Out of stock but this RX 480 is $2 cheaper than the RX 470's are!... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150771
What is up with pricing and availability these days! So many sales lost on both sides...
post #319 of 437
RX 480 is way better buy. 4 more CUs, 8GB vs 4GB and 8GHz vs 6.6GHz. It's not even close really. All this for $40?
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #320 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

RX 480 is way better buy. 4 more CUs, 8GB vs 4GB and 8GHz vs 6.6GHz. It's not even close really. All this for $40?

I feel like the only two logical choices are the 470 or the 1060. If I'm gonna spend more money for a few more frames, I'm gonna spend less money(1060) and get even more

How much faster is a throttling 480? If the reference cooler was good I would be more inclined to agree but for aib prices, $200, $250, and $280 are your options and the most expensive isn't the fastest

Really even at $240 even if the reference was good $250 is the better buy
Edited by tkenietz - 8/6/16 at 4:25pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] RX 470 Reviews