Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Help on new 27* monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help on new 27* monitor

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hi there, new to this forum.

I am looking to buy a new monitor for my gaming purposes, intending to use it for PC gaming, at the same time I would like to hook up my ps4 and ps3 to the same monitor so that I can play whatever I want without moving my lazy ass to the couch.

My PC runs on a gtx 970 4G, what I want to ask is the main difference between a 1440p and 1080p. Is it worth it? Having more space on the screen is always better. I usually play mmorpgs like WoW, FFXIV, certain mobas and the currently overrated Overwatch. I have been using a 23 inch 1080p for 5 years now and its time for me to get a new monitor.
Also is G-sync worth it at the moment for the things that I play? Would it be overkill for the ps4 and ps3? I am intending to get a 144hz monitor, currently looking at the Benq XL2730Z because its relatively cheaper than the Acer XB270HU and ASUS MG MG279Q / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q and also Dell Gaming S2716DG. My concern is that some of these monitors do not have enough HDMI slots for me to plug my ps4 and ps3 in as well.


My current setup is an AOC 2343, with a USB monitor AOC 1649fwu or something. I am looking to use 3 monitors, with the new 27* in the middle, AOC 2343 on the right or something and maybe the 1649fwu on the left. What I'm worried about is it looking pretty awkward because of 3 different monitors of different sizes, any recommendations? I might just get another 23* so I can run a 27* with 2 23* beside it.

I am a multi-tasker, usually gaming while binge-watching sitcoms in another monitor and for the last monitor, to watch my stocks/forex.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
post #2 of 13
I think the BenQ XL2730Z would be perfect for what you're looking for. I've never owned anything but BenQ monitors and have had not one issue with any of them. It's only got 2 HDMI's but DVI is pretty much HDMI without the audio and DVI also has a quicker bandwidth. When it comes to 1080 and 1440 there's a substantial difference but only if your GPU will be able to run it. The 970 will only be able to play some games at 1440p and medium or so depending on the age of the game.
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sorry I'm a complete newbie to fixing up my ps4 to this monster of a monitor, how would I go about connecting the cables? I'm trying to fix my ps4, ps3 and GPU to the monitor or is that impossible?
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinquek View Post

Sorry I'm a complete newbie to fixing up my ps4 to this monster of a monitor, how would I go about connecting the cables? I'm trying to fix my ps4, ps3 and GPU to the monitor or is that impossible?

No problem everyone starts somewhere. You will definitely be able to hook them all up will just be a matter of changing the input on the monitor depending on what you want to play! PS4 to HDMI, PS3 to HDMI and your GPU to DVI will work biggrin.gif
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks alot for the advice, now its a matter of deciding to go 1440 or 1080p. If I grab a 1440p and in the unforeseeable future, a game that requires a hell lot of GPU power. I can just SLI something together with my current 970 4G and it should be good right? Never did SLI before because I never ran such graphic intensive games before. Also cable management is going to be a pain in the ass for me.
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinquek View Post

Thanks alot for the advice, now its a matter of deciding to go 1440 or 1080p. If I grab a 1440p and in the unforeseeable future, a game that requires a hell lot of GPU power. I can just SLI something together with my current 970 4G and it should be good right? Never did SLI before because I never ran such graphic intensive games before. Also cable management is going to be a pain in the ass for me.

No problem happy to help. What brand and model 970 do you have? But yeah definitely 2 970's in SLI will run 1440p quite stable you'll just need to make sure that your power supply can handle the TDP of the 2 cards and you'll need an SLI bridge and your good to go thumb.gif
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Its a Zotac 970 4G. I'm using a 750w PSU thats pretty old, should be sufficient
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinquek View Post

Its a Zotac 970 4G. I'm using a 750w PSU thats pretty old, should be sufficient

Should be fine. Good luck in your endeavors smile.gif Hope that you stick around on OCN i'm also quite new here.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Would you recommend using a 27* as my main monitor and 2 other 23*? I'm having difficulties imagining the space that I would need, my table is pretty small at the moment, I think the maximum length is only like 120cm. Should I just YOLO buy the monitors then bend it so that it fits on my table?

Also the Benq XL2730Z is Free sync, would that be a huge deal vs the G-sync since I'm running Nvidia?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinquek View Post

Would you recommend using a 27* as my main monitor and 2 other 23*? I'm having difficulties imagining the space that I would need, my table is pretty small at the moment, I think the maximum length is only like 120cm. Should I just YOLO buy the monitors then bend it so that it fits on my table?

Also the Benq XL2730Z is Free sync, would that be a huge deal vs the G-sync since I'm running Nvidia?

G-Sync is controlled by a PCB in the construction of the Monitor where as FreeSync uses your GPU to manage the refresh rate of your monitor. Linus has a good video on youtube with a comparison between the 2 worth watching. I've only ever used FreeSync monitors and I'm a Nvidia fanboy and haven't had any issues smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Help on new 27* monitor