Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4790k overclocking, crash on GTA V only.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4790k overclocking, crash on GTA V only. - Page 2

post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

prime stable is usually 24 hours.

try checking the integrity of local files.

I just lowered my gpu oc on 4.7ghz and it still crash. The crash can be initiated manually by pressing literally any keys on my keyboard. (i used controller to play gta v). When I press escape, the game will just force quit and notification saying game has closed something will be shown. On my last test, the game crashed after i tried printing my screen in game to take screen shot lol.

I am sure that if I run prime 95 24 hrs it will be fine. I tried 1 hour before and its fine. The chip was second hand from someone who was running 4.7ghz at 1.25v for over a year 24/7. Yesterday, although this game is not demanding, I can play overwatch at 4.7ghz oc just fine for 3 hours straight. I have this weird feeling that it has something to do with the game because I found someone having the same issue with game crashing when he pressed any key on his keyboard (a month old post)

The thing though, my game still crash when i press any keys or during loading screen even when my cpu is pure stock (stock speed, stock volt)
post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Cores View Post

My 4790k for reference on a MSI motherboard:
4.7ghz 1.275v stable
4.7ghz 1.30v stable(better performance)
4.8ghz 1.315v stable
4.8ghz 1.32v crash(Witcher 3/Crysis 3/BF4)
4.9ghz 1.36v not stable
5.0ghz 1.40ghz not stable

hmm thanks for the input. I tested ac syndicate which I think is more demanding (especially since the game is not that optimized) on the cpu side. My cpu gets as warm as if I am benching using prime 95 while playing that game, over 1 hour worth of playing at 4.7 ghz, no issue whatsoever. I will try witcher 3 for 1-2 hour next maybe. I wonder if Rise of the tomb raider is considered cpu heavy.
post #13 of 31
Is your ram over clocked? I'd set the motherboard back to defaults, CPU stock, ram stock not XMP profile, and put your video card back to stock settings and try GTA 5 again see what happens.
post #14 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Is your ram over clocked? I'd set the motherboard back to defaults, CPU stock, ram stock not XMP profile, and put your video card back to stock settings and try GTA 5 again see what happens.

I have been testing it on the xmp at 1866mhz. Might worth the try. In the past, before changing the cpu and mobo, I have been running these 4 sticks on the xmp too though. But yeah I will try it
post #15 of 31
Running Prime 95 for 24 hours to determine stability nowadays is very stupid.

2 hours should be more than enough if you configure it properly.

-custom test
-use as many threads as your cpu supports (8 in your case)
-min FFT 1344
-max FFT 1792
-do NOT run FFT in place
-use around 80-90 percent of your total memory
-run each FFT size test for 10 minutes.

If you can pass 2 hours of that on the latest version on prime 95, you are 99.999999999 percent stable and running it for 22 more hours does nothing but shorten the life of your CPU.

These settings are also great at checking memory stability. If you pass this, your whole system is stable (minus the GPU)
Edited by Lex Luger - 8/12/16 at 10:29am
post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Is your ram over clocked? I'd set the motherboard back to defaults, CPU stock, ram stock not XMP profile, and put your video card back to stock settings and try GTA 5 again see what happens.

So i just tested it, all pure stocks. GAme runs well but as soon as I press anything on my keyboard, the game crashed. Definitely the game issue or incompatibility with the mobo or the cpu. It doesn't crash randomly in the loading screen after 2-3 online missions though. I think that only happens when my ram oc is not stable, but if i stay at xmp, its will be fine.
post #17 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Luger View Post

Running Prime 95 for 24 hours to determine stability nowadays is very stupid.

2 hours should be more than enough if you configure it properly.

-custom test
-use as many threads as your cpu supports (8 in your case)
-min FFT 1344
-max FFT 1792
-do NOT run FFT in place
-use around 80-90 percent of your total memory
-run each FFT size test for 10 minutes.

If you can pass 2 hours of that on the latest version on prime 95, you are 99.999999999 percent stable and running it for 22 more hours does nothing but shorten the life of your CPU.

These settings are also great at checking memory stability. If you pass this, your whole system is stable (minus the GPU)

Thanks for the input, I will try that some time today.
post #18 of 31
Ok running out of ideas here. Have you tried a different keyboard? Try a different usb port.

Do you have the most recent motherboard bios? The latest one shows Improved memory compatibility.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

One more thing, have you tried turning the game settings down? Too much detail you could be maxing your video card memory.
post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Ok running out of ideas here. Have you tried a different keyboard? Try a different usb port.

Do you have the most recent motherboard bios? The latest one shows Improved memory compatibility.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

One more thing, have you tried turning the game settings down? Too much detail you could be maxing your video card memory.

haha its fine. I think its the game, but I will try what you said. I have this game since it came out, never had this weird keyboard problem before, so its probably the game or something with the mobo that triggers it. But as you suggested, I will try different port. YEs I have the latest bios. No I haven't tried lowering it down, but I barely used aa, so I don't really stress my memory, but I will try turning stuffs down and see what happen.
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

Ok running out of ideas here. Have you tried a different keyboard? Try a different usb port.

Do you have the most recent motherboard bios? The latest one shows Improved memory compatibility.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97-GAMING-5.html#down-bios

One more thing, have you tried turning the game settings down? Too much detail you could be maxing your video card memory.

changing usb port on the keyboard doesn't help. In fact, now for certain this is the issue with the game and non the instability with any of my hardware I think. And i guess we can exclude the possibility of having settings too high. In fact, I just found out something while testing it despite the fact that it happened to me yesterday (but I didn't realize that its the cause). My knee accidentally bumped my Desktop table and the game crashed. At first I thought its just random. However a couple minutes ago while testing the game, i tried moving my mouse and the game crashed right away, just like that. I might just try reinstalling the game, see if that helps. I feel bad now because this thread has become more about GTA V and less about CPU problem lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 4790k overclocking, crash on GTA V only.