Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Quad Rad enough for 980Ti SLI+CPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quad Rad enough for 980Ti SLI+CPU?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey,

I'm switching to water. Will use EK 980Ti water blocks and all other components will be EK as well. My case Thermaltake Core P5 supports maximum quad rad so I'm thinking of making a push-pull configuration for it with 8 EK Vardar high pressure fans. GPUs will be overclocked, as well as the CPU.

The CPU is 6700K @ 4.6Ghz with 1.41 vcore.
Edited by Nautilus - 8/11/16 at 3:52pm
Editing/Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X delidded @ 4.7 - 1.25v (HT off) Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 w/EK Monoblock NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 Quad Channel 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB Full custom loop Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Thermaltake Core P5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schitt Stack + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
Editing/Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X delidded @ 4.7 - 1.25v (HT off) Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 w/EK Monoblock NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 Quad Channel 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB Full custom loop Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Thermaltake Core P5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schitt Stack + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post

Hey,

I'm switching to water. Will use EK 980Ti water blocks and all other components will be EK as well. My case Thermaltake Core P5 supports maximum quad rad so I'm thinking of making a push-pull configuration for it with 8 EK Vardar high pressure fans. GPUs will be overclocked, as well as the CPU.

The CPU is 6700K @ 4.6Ghz with 1.41 vcore.
I would think it would work ok if you have the push/pull fans running at least 1200rpm or higher on a good, thick rad. I dont think the temps will be incredibly low but should be low enough to stay safe. I would recommend using a thermal probe to monitor the loop temperature and make sure your water isn't getting too warm (50°c is too warm IMO, I always aim for under 40°c) and probably get some fans with a good rpm range so you can crank them if need be.

temp sensor: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Something like this- http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-lcd-temperature-sensor-v2-green-g1-4-plug-sensor.html
You can also buy them for a few $ cheaper without the display IF you have another way to monitor that 2pin sensor. Most Asus and highend mobo have a header for it.
main rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k EVGA z97 Classified SLI gtx 980 klevv neo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 535 SSD seagate barracuda Custom Loop windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S2716DG Asus PB277Q Logitech G710 Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Tt V41 EVGA Torq x10  Steel series QCK Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
main rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k EVGA z97 Classified SLI gtx 980 klevv neo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 535 SSD seagate barracuda Custom Loop windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S2716DG Asus PB277Q Logitech G710 Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Tt V41 EVGA Torq x10  Steel series QCK Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Should work well enough. I would suggest just doing push or pull and doing a thicker rad.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldChicken View Post

I would think it would work ok if you have the push/pull fans running at least 1200rpm or higher on a good, thick rad. I dont think the temps will be incredibly low but should be low enough to stay safe. I would recommend using a thermal probe to monitor the loop temperature and make sure your water isn't getting too warm (50°c is too warm IMO, I always aim for under 40°c) and probably get some fans with a good rpm range so you can crank them if need be.

temp sensor: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Something like this- http://www.performance-pcs.com/xspc-lcd-temperature-sensor-v2-green-g1-4-plug-sensor.html
You can also buy them for a few $ cheaper without the display IF you have another way to monitor that 2pin sensor. Most Asus and highend mobo have a header for it.

The rad will be EK CoolStream XE 480. It's a quite thick rad. And my fans will be 2200RPM designed for radiator cooling.


I'll be happy with 60 degrees celcius under load because currently (stock cooling) even a single GPU runs up to 85 degrees under load.And in SLI, temps go wild.

Another thing worries me is the order of cooling.Which should be cooled first CPU or GPUs? Since I have single rad, the heat from one component will be transferred to another.
Edited by Nautilus - 8/11/16 at 11:52pm
Editing/Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X delidded @ 4.7 - 1.25v (HT off) Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 w/EK Monoblock NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 Quad Channel 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB Full custom loop Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Thermaltake Core P5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schitt Stack + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
Editing/Gaming
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X delidded @ 4.7 - 1.25v (HT off) Gigabyte X299 AORUS Gaming 7 w/EK Monoblock NVIDIA TITAN X Pascal w/EK Waterblock & Backplate 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 Quad Channel 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB WD Black 4TB Full custom loop Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS SWIFT PG279Q 1440p 165Hz Razer Blackwidow Chroma Corsair RM1000x Thermaltake Core P5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma Razer Sphex Schitt Stack + JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
I reckon go CPU first in the loop.

Also with the fans, i think High Air Flow fans are good for thick rads with low fin density. I think static pressure fans are better for thin rads with high fin density. Something to consider maybe, and also to double check because this is off the top of my head.
Ol'Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5660 P6X58D-E XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X Corsair Vengeance 24 GB Triple Chanel 6x4GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua DH-14 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 24" LED 1080p 5ms DVI (S23A300B) 
PowerMouseAudio
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Gold Corsair M95 Onboard :S 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol'Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5660 P6X58D-E XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X Corsair Vengeance 24 GB Triple Chanel 6x4GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua DH-14 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 24" LED 1080p 5ms DVI (S23A300B) 
PowerMouseAudio
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Gold Corsair M95 Onboard :S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post

The rad will be EK CoolStream XE 480. It's a quite thick rad. And my fans will be 2200RPM designed for radiator cooling.


I'll be happy with 60 degrees celcius under load because currently (stock cooling) even a single GPU runs up to 85 degrees under load.And in SLI, temps go wild.

Another thing worries me is the order of cooling.Which should be cooled first CPU or GPUs? Since I have single rad, the heat from one component will be transferred to another.
oh I think 60's should be attainable without issue.

Loop order does not matter at all! My loop is full of temp sensors (well 2 of them) and I've got my 2x980's and 4790k (all heavily OC'd) all in series and I get a about a 1°c temperature rise from before the first gpu to after the cpu under heavy load when I've got my pumps on 3. My loop order is pump>3 rads>GPU/GPU>CPU>2 rads>pump
main rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k EVGA z97 Classified SLI gtx 980 klevv neo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 535 SSD seagate barracuda Custom Loop windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S2716DG Asus PB277Q Logitech G710 Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Tt V41 EVGA Torq x10  Steel series QCK Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
main rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k EVGA z97 Classified SLI gtx 980 klevv neo 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 535 SSD seagate barracuda Custom Loop windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S2716DG Asus PB277Q Logitech G710 Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Tt V41 EVGA Torq x10  Steel series QCK Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Order doesn't matter.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Quad Rad enough for 980Ti SLI+CPU?