Originally Posted by Oubadah
I just tested it again, and it works for me. This is fully updated IE11 in Windows 7. I added the site to compatibility view, then went to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/
(make sure you don't inadvertently copy and reuse the whole address from the "you need IE" page, because that way you will always get the message). I then let it install the ActiveX thing, and after that I could add things to the cart and download them without a problem.
I figured out how to get to the "sort of" works I mentioned I had managed once. I went to the manage add-ons menu and there the Update Catalog add-on was disabled so I had to manually enable it. IE doesn't tell that a certain disabled add-on is required when you're visiting the site and doesn't ask if you want to enable it, so I didn't remember that right away (then again I use this site basically never). Now I can search for stuff and get results. But I can only search once, unless I go back to the main page's search box. If I use the search box from the results page it just re-sends the previous text that I just replaced with the new search terms and I get the same results, or no results if the initial search had yielded none.
On the list of results, when I try to add anything by clicking the buttons, nothing happens. Also, when I click each update to view the details, there are four information tabs and only the first one, which is already visible, can be seen, I click the others and nothing happens. That's when I ran out of patience with this decrepit site the last time and when someone posted the direct, but not advertised by MS, links to the Windows 7 Convenience Rollup and thus I simply didn't care anymore. If they follow through and update the site in late September, I won't have to either, but if you can figure out how to make this work for the time being, I'm listening.Edited by tpi2007 - 8/18/16 at 7:18pm