Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › Cannot figure out overclocking on my MSI 1070 ARMOR... frustrated!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cannot figure out overclocking on my MSI 1070 ARMOR... frustrated! - Page 2

post #11 of 21
Originally I ordered the exact card you have but it displayed really poor overclocking so I swapped it for the Gaming X model and now I'm running a core clock speed of 2130 mhz and +400 mhz offset on the memory. I think these armor cards just aren't binned well at all.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6400 @ 4.8 ghz Delidded  Asus ROG Z170 Maximus viii ranger MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X x2 SLI 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 @ 2900 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD Blue 3TB Patriot Blast 480GB SATA 3 SSD Samsung 950 Pro 512gb M.2 PCI-E 3.0 x4 Swiftech H240x2 Prestige 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 x64 LG OLED65E6P Saitek Eclipse II EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G500 Steelpad 5L  Audioengine HD6 Speakers  
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post

Originally I ordered the exact card you have but it displayed really poor overclocking so I swapped it for the Gaming X model and now I'm running a core clock speed of 2130 mhz and +400 mhz offset on the memory. I think these armor cards just aren't binned well at all.

That wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, I'm fine with it. It's disappointing that I (assumingly) can't break 2000 MHz, but it's still a great card and performs fantastically. I've considered going to the Gaming X, but I really want as little color inside of my case as possible.
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by truexchill View Post

Here's a screenshot with MSI AB, GPU-Z, and HWM in game. Why is it pushing it like that? Also, how come I can't do anything to push it further even 25 MHz? I never noticed this much variance with my 980 Ti G1 Gaming from what the website listed boost clock was reported as...


The main menu screen on Overwatch is extremely wonky. Before i swapped to my 1070 Gaming X, I was using a 290X Referenced and it would go completely max fan speed and sky-rocket in use just at the main screen alone. Its something specific with the game, then when I would load into a match it would drastically drop and act as normal. I can also see this on my 1070 also. Use a few more games or even a benchmark to really test for stable options.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazah View Post

The main menu screen on Overwatch is extremely wonky. Before i swapped to my 1070 Gaming X, I was using a 290X Referenced and it would go completely max fan speed and sky-rocket in use just at the main screen alone. Its something specific with the game, then when I would load into a match it would drastically drop and act as normal. I can also see this on my 1070 also. Use a few more games or even a benchmark to really test for stable options.

The main menu isn't where the issue occurs.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by truexchill View Post

The main menu isn't where the issue occurs.

I understand that, I am just giving info on the question "why is it pushing it like that".

*edit* took out line about MSI Gaming App, not sure if that would work for your card or if your card has the "overclock" option
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drazah View Post

I understand that, I am just giving info on the question "why is it pushing it like that".

*edit* took out line about MSI Gaming App, not sure if that would work for your card or if your card has the "overclock" option

I actually tried to get the MSI Gaming App from their website. I installed it, and then when I tried to run it I got an error saying my version of Windows wasn't supported or some ****. Windows 10. I dunno.

It pushes like that during gameplay, too. I tried a few games.
post #17 of 21
Thread starter you should back up and reset everything to stock, sorry but you seem to be totally lost and just a dead gpu waiting to happen.
Read more on how to overclock gpu and start from there. It not a cluless hobby.
post #18 of 21
Thread Starter 
Implying I haven't already overclocked 2 GPUs. GPU Boost never affected my clock speeds like it does on my 1070. Overclocking a GPU is really not that complicated. You can do a basic overclock using MSI Afterburner and just maxing out voltage + power used to be enough for a decent overclock. However, on my 1070, it doesn't work.
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by truexchill View Post

... getting decent overclocks simply by maxing the voltage and power. However, no matter what combination of numbers I try, I cannot get my card to do a stable overclock. My screen just slowly turns black when I try to test it in a game of Overwatch. Textures (I think?) will slowly fall away and become black blocks like you see there.

... Did I just lose the lottery and that's all there is to it? It doesn't do it right away. Usually after a minute or so, unless I set the voltage to max (100), power to max (108), and core clock to +100.

I told you you're cluless in gpu overclock. That's not a shame we all learn. But saying you successfully overclocked before and you should be doing it right is not true. Who told you before to max voltage to overclock?
No one gonna put a tutorial here for only your case. Read about how to overclock Pascal before you try and fail.
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahanddeem View Post

But saying you successfully overclocked before and you should be doing it right is not true. Who told you before to max voltage to overclock?

Pretty much every single walkthrough and guide that exists? The BIOS on the GPU has limits and no matter how much voltage you give it in MSI Afterburner it will not go past the set limit. You can even watch it on HWMon. Pascal cards with the stock BIOS will only use the amount of voltage they need. You won't nuke it by maxing it on MSI AB. You can max that out and see how far you can push on Maxwell cards. You're trying to say Pascal is different how?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › Cannot figure out overclocking on my MSI 1070 ARMOR... frustrated!