Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Ars] Nvidia calls out Intel for cheating in Xeon Phi vs. GPU benchmarks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Ars] Nvidia calls out Intel for cheating in Xeon Phi vs. GPU benchmarks - Page 5

post #41 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post

Nvidia seems to have a kneejerk reaction to Intel's benchmark. Probably just someone over at Nvidia feeling kind of butthurt and couldn't stomach it from intel.

intel was not using an up to date version, and is comparing their newest Xeon to nVidia's Maxwell.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Don't mention buddy. Just looking out for our people. thumb.gif

Thanks dude, appreciate the input. Was insightful.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post

Nvidia seems to have a kneejerk reaction to Intel's benchmark. Probably just someone over at Nvidia feeling kind of butthurt and couldn't stomach it from intel.

intel was not using an up to date version, and is comparing their newest Xeon to nVidia's Maxwell.

Honestly, this has to be highlighted by a third party reviewer or the news site that initially publishes the story. And this is not regarding Intel, Nvidia or AMD but all corporate entities. Until a 3rd party can verify, this is nothing more than mud flinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Don't mention buddy. Just looking out for our people. thumb.gif

Thanks dude, appreciate the input. Was insightful.

tongue.gif
post #44 of 101
Tbh, if I were ever to do deep learning I wouldn't hesitate to get Quadro or Titans.

At least they are good for gaming if my research goes to crap.

Hopefully AMD can jump on the bandwagon soon and give us some cheap workstation GPUs.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 101
Thread Starter 
Well, if CUDA continues to rule and Holtzman initiative is just vaporware, AMD can bring all they want to the market, but they are always gonna stay a niche player
post #46 of 101
I bet this dispute is AMD's ideal dream!
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

I'm actually more trusting of Nvidia at this point. All I can ever remember them explicitly cheating on was 3dmark 03.

Now I shall go facepalm for five hours.
post #48 of 101
nVIDIA is nearing its end as the dominant player in HPC. Few people realize it but nVIDIA either has to go fully open source on its libraries or they will fall from grace. There is a huge shift happening and all three players concerned (AMD/Intel and nVIDIA) are about to radically change as organizations over the next 10 years.

For AMD, it all depends on Zen and how it performs but if Zen performs well and AMD introduce their own high bandwidth point to point interconnect for GPUs and CPUs then nVIDIA will have to compete with a full fledged x86 based rival. nVIDIA is stuck to IBM for their point to point high bandwidth capabilities (NVLink).

Intel is in talks for a cross-licensing GPU deal with AMD. If this ends in an agreement then I cannot see how nVIDIA (with its proprietary platform and programming API) can compete against two players using more open platforms and APIs. I just do not see it.

The HPC market is about to shift big time. Around the same degree of shifting we saw when nVIDIA entered the market with their CUDA based ambitions.
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
post #49 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigan View Post

nVIDIA is nearing its end as the dominant player in HPC. Few people realize it but nVIDIA either has to go fully open source on its libraries or they will fall from grace. There is a huge shift happening and all three players concerned (AMD/Intel and nVIDIA) are about to radically change as organizations over the next 10 years.

For AMD, it all depends on Zen and how it performs but if Zen performs well and AMD introduce their own high bandwidth point to point interconnect for GPUs and CPUs then nVIDIA will have to compete with a full fledged x86 based rival. nVIDIA is stuck to IBM for their point to point high bandwidth capabilities (NVLink).

Intel is in talks for a cross-licensing GPU deal with AMD. If this ends in an agreement then I cannot see how nVIDIA (with its proprietary platform and programming API) can compete against two players using more open platforms and APIs. I just do not see it.

The HPC market is about to shift big time. Around the same degree of shifting we saw when nVIDIA entered the market with their CUDA based ambitions.

Two things.

One, nvidia code for both deep learning libraries, cuda, gameworks etc etc, is available to partners and license (for almost practically free) when purchased nvidia top server hardware. This has been like that for quite a few years.
I don't really see any need for this to go open source. Both AMD and Intel aren't really open sourcing their enterprise hardware.
When AMD came out with opengpu, nvidia in some way had to release the gameworks basic code. Until AMD and Intel goes public with their current source code, nvidia won't do the same.

Secondly, regarding cross-licensing deal between intel and AMD, tbh, not sure how much of this is going to happen. Intel have a lot to lose on that deal, especially since zen can make a lot of trouble for them, and nvidia have a lot to lose as well. It could be that Intel are using those talks to force nvidia's hands a bit.
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Main system
(16 items)
 
Editing PC
(8 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsGraphicsRAM
E5-1680v2 AMD FirePro D700 AMD FirePro D700 64GB 1866mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
1TB PCIE SSD OSX 10.10.x Dell U2713H Mac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

I'm actually more trusting of Nvidia at this point. All I can ever remember them explicitly cheating on was 3dmark 03.

What?
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Ars] Nvidia calls out Intel for cheating in Xeon Phi vs. GPU benchmarks