Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [AMD] Breakthrough Performance of “Zen” (Head to Head with Broadwell-E!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[AMD] Breakthrough Performance of “Zen” (Head to Head with Broadwell-E!) - Page 46

post #451 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

YES. I would consider it to have a more worthy validity if it where on HWBot and regularly used! I repeat yes again to this question.

Nearly perfectly consistent and Totally consistent are 2 different things my friend. Take PiMod for example. It's on the money. It changes when you change your overclock. No other time. However I do not wish to see just PiMod used as a sole example as AMD did with just a display with Blender.

Why not use a few benchmarks. Like some that are new, as well as the old. Lets see "Real" proof. It's in the pudding.

I'd like to see WPrime 32 and 1024M a quick Super Pi run for single core IPC and perhaps a good old Cinebench or two and for some GPU render CatZilla maybe.

But blender alone proves not a gosh darn thing my friend.
To YOU. Emphasis on "in YOUR head" because YOU don't use nor have an understanding at what a Blender is nor does. If anutbing tbis display is faaaaarrrr more neutral than many of those big known benchies you wanna fork everything on so badly.
post #452 of 580
RIght.

It was just a blender run. How about Winrar. Hows DDR4 latency. Read write on and so on......

Again, Blender by itself is just another benchmark. You run it, get a score and bam compare. That's what HWBot is all about no?

I follow what you are saying. I am not in disagreement, but also not familiar with it. Not looking for an argument, but pretty much stating that it's not as common as you say it is. Really when AMD released this, I really never heard of it. I read daily at OC forums. It's not exactly at the top of what people compare with. You can easily view the threads here to see this. And also just because you say it's valid and commonly used also does not make me some kind of believer that AMD ZEN outperforms Intel i7 6900K stock for stock or clock for clock.

But it does look somewhat promising. I'll give it that much! But even a pretty avid AMD user, I remain skeptical to be completely honest.
post #453 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

Last couple pages.... Not so Zen. rolleyes.gif
This is where it counts. Or may be where it fails.

4 decodes per cycle, Zen should be able to do 256bit AVX (or AMD's equivalent for similar SIMD processing), they are probably talking about four doubles per clock.
AVX2 was designed to be decoded as 8 single precision per clock, Zen doesn't seem to do 8 instructions per clock, that means AVX2 can't be fetched in a single cycle.
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
post #454 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian View Post


4 decodes per cycle, Zen should be able to do 256bit AVX (or AMD's equivalent for similar SIMD processing), they are probably talking about four doubles per clock.
AVX2 was designed to be decoded as 8 single precision per clock, Zen doesn't seem to do 8 instructions per clock, that means AVX2 can't be fetched in a single cycle.

I'd much rather see that AVX2 be fetched in a single cycle. It would bring a lot to the table to run 256bit for floating point instructions. That's where it's at right there.
Quote:
The ZEN CPU isn’t capable of executing 256-bit AVX instructions in a single cycle.
post #455 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

RIght.

It was just a blender run. How about Winrar. Hows DDR4 latency. Read write on and so on......

Again, Blender by itself is just another benchmark. You run it, get a score and bam compare. That's what HWBot is all about no?

I follow what you are saying. I am not in disagreement, but also not familiar with it. Not looking for an argument, but pretty much stating that it's not as common as you say it is. Really when AMD released this, I really never heard of it. I read daily at OC forums. It's not exactly at the top of what people compare with. You can easily view the threads here to see this. And also just because you say it's valid and commonly used also does not make me some kind of believer that AMD ZEN outperforms Intel i7 6900K stock for stock or clock for clock.

But it does look somewhat promising. I'll give it that much! But even a pretty avid AMD user, I remain skeptical to be completely honest.
You are very tiring.
The fact that you say you never hear of Blender and you read daily at OC forums affects your credibility.
To me it seems you are here just to annoy people.
post #456 of 580
Well... in the coming months... we'll get to see who the Intel fans are as I am expecting that whole fan battle to start up again.

Myself? I am going to buy the CPU which gives me as many cores as possible delivering good performance at a price that doesn't break the bank. For me... that means any CPU with 6+ cores. I am never going to buy a quad core again. That is yesterday's CPU.

6 Core minimum for any new purchase from me.

If AMD can deliver that... I will go AMD.
If Intel can deliver that... I will go Intel.

The only ace in the hole is the platform. AMD has to deliver a solid platform to go with Zen. The Intel platform is fantastic.
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
Kn0wledge
(20 items)
 
Pati3nce
(14 items)
 
Wisd0m
(10 items)
 
Reply
post #457 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serios View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

RIght.

It was just a blender run. How about Winrar. Hows DDR4 latency. Read write on and so on......

Again, Blender by itself is just another benchmark. You run it, get a score and bam compare. That's what HWBot is all about no?

I follow what you are saying. I am not in disagreement, but also not familiar with it. Not looking for an argument, but pretty much stating that it's not as common as you say it is. Really when AMD released this, I really never heard of it. I read daily at OC forums. It's not exactly at the top of what people compare with. You can easily view the threads here to see this. And also just because you say it's valid and commonly used also does not make me some kind of believer that AMD ZEN outperforms Intel i7 6900K stock for stock or clock for clock.

But it does look somewhat promising. I'll give it that much! But even a pretty avid AMD user, I remain skeptical to be completely honest.
You are very tiring.
The fact that you say you never hear of Blender and you read daily at OC forums affects your credibility.
To me it seems you are here just to annoy people.

Reading a single benchmark makes AMD as fast or faster than Intel current offering is tiring.

Reading kids posts that show motherboards saying some people where not around or didn't do this or that is tiring.

Reading that people can't see another's point of view is tiring.

Agreeing and saying the benchmark looked promising and then being basically bashed for it is tiring.

Reading that people think they know more about ZEN just because they saw a Blender score is tiring.

All I gotta say is Jim Keller can design a really nice processor. I've overclocked several and ran daily several of his past makes and models. That to me is worth more than AMDs blender score. lol.

Credibility to what my friend.

Show me Blender compare please. http://www.overclock.net/f/10/amd-cpus (I didn't go past the first page, but cpu-z was the first thread that showed up for benchmark comparisons.)
post #458 of 580
Blameless explanations were so on point that nobody needed a reply from you but you don't quit even when you are clearly proven wrong. So yes you are tiring and just proved it one more time.
Also nobody behaves more like a kid than you on this thread.
post #459 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigan View Post

Well... in the coming months... we'll get to see who the Intel fans are as I am expecting that whole fan battle to start up again.

Myself? I am going to buy the CPU which gives me as many cores as possible delivering good performance at a price that doesn't break the bank. For me... that means any CPU with 6+ cores. I am never going to buy a quad core again. That is yesterday's CPU.

6 Core minimum for any new purchase from me.

If AMD can deliver that... I will go AMD.
If Intel can deliver that... I will go Intel.

The only ace in the hole is the platform. AMD has to deliver a solid platform to go with Zen. The Intel platform is fantastic.

I've always been on AMD's side. biggrin.gif I'll purchase quite a few different ZEN chips. Always have!

And then, De-lid every single one of them. And a couple on some Dry Ice maybe. A little LN2 here and there.

Here's some AMD credibility as well. thumb.gif

post #460 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post

I'd much rather see that AVX2 be fetched in a single cycle. It would bring a lot to the table to run 256bit for floating point instructions. That's where it's at right there.

Number of instruction decoded per cycle do not tell the whole story, there are tens to hundreds of clocks are used during the fetch/decode and execute and memory operations (both in Intel and AMD) before you get the final result. Even if Zen has to decode more instructions per clock, improvements in other areas might do well in AVX2 like scenarios. But for now, it is all theoretical. We don't even know if Intel compiler is allowing full flops for AMD CPUs after seeing the old ICC behavior. But even before all of that Intel compiler thing we don't even know what what ISA has AMD included for similar operations, and if there are any will they be supported by MSVC or GCC or etc ? It is all speculation for now, nothing is confirmed except the 256 bit AVX1 per clock part.
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
Haswell i3
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i3-4150 @ 3.5 GHz Asus B85M-G Rev 1.01, Bios: 2501 Integrated Intel HD 4400 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 750 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200.14 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" Samsung DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H70 Windows 10 64 bit Samsung A300N 20" 1600 x 900 60Hz 5ms 19Watt PS/2 Microsoft Wired Keyboard 500 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair TX850 V2 CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Logitech M170 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [AMD] Breakthrough Performance of “Zen” (Head to Head with Broadwell-E!)