Thanks for the subs! Much appreciated!
I cut the new pieces of alu earlier and I am now editing those pictures and gifs. Doing color correcting and stuff! Will be update #2 of the chassis build log. I am also programing my first cnc cut on the case now, adjusting speeds and feeds. So that first update with me cutting the raw material should be up tomorrow or Monday. Will be making the first cnc cuts on Monday or Tuesday and then some editing on that. Thought that I would try and shoot some video also!
anyway, here are some more camera phone pictures of the CNC-progress while you wait!
This is what I am going to make my Z-axis tool setters from.
Started with making a 5mm hole through the whole part and a partially drilled 15mm hole. Then I cut it of.
First drilled with the 22mm then I used the insert to get the correct diameter of 23mm and a flat hole
Pushing in a 20mm ID teflon brushing
All nice and flat. Measured 20.08mm ID.
Making the tool itslef. Got it down to about 20.15mm. That leaves me with some room to carefully grind it down to the correct diameter
Grinded down to about 20.7mm and did a small cut that a stop screw will run along.
Time to cut of the axis to the correct length and flip it around.
Faced of and a 3mm chamfer.
Work in the lathe done, now its time to get to polishing and a few holes.
Made a small hole for a M4 stop screw.
The stop screw keeps the top of the tool from coming of.
All the parts for the Zero tool. Tool body, Tool top, spring, sensor (inside) and a stop screw
Need this to be very flat.
Much better. Did not bother with the small scratches on the bottom surface, its flat, and that is what matters.
Quite deep scratches here. About 0.05-0.10mm deep. This is a pain...
After A LOT of slow paced wet sanding I got it down to this finish. Went from 120 grit to 240, 400, 800 and finished with 1200. This took probably an hour to get. I was very careful to sand it down flat and on a flat surface granite sheet (that weighs sooo effin much!!!). I had to do this procedure twice since i needed 2 tools. One as Z-axis zero and one as a fixed reference.
Light mounted and connected! Its very bright and the phone turned down the aperture way down. So its much brighter than it appears. You can check the surrounding area and this is in the middle of the day with all the other lights on. Very pleased with the amount of light coming from this thing.
Fixed the aperture so you can grasp the difference
The reference tool shown here.
Comparison with no light on (notice the background and how bright that is)
And with the light on. As you can see the camera adjusted the aperture down to not over expose the shot. But compare the background to the previous picture and you can see the difference. It's not overly bright but still very bright.
Made a tool holder for the auto zero tool. Fits nicely and keeps it secure.
Yes, I need to clean the machine, and yes the switches have no labels! All in due time!
Getting the tooling from a big box of mixed tools is a pita and I spend at least a few minutes checking the lables and fiddling around trying to find the tool I need. So some holders for the mills was really needed. Started with some leftover planks and cut them in to 105mm long pieces.
Milling wood is a bit different, and without the dust shoe not yet connected with the new hose it makes a mess.
Another one for clamps and tooling. Notice the thin layer of dust that is EVERYWHERE!!! Need to cut that pipe ASAP.
Much better! Everything organized and easy to find and put back.
The "complete set" of tooling. Starting from the left, the green wood mills, soft metal/plastic mills, screws, and parallel plugs, and finally all the ER25 collets (These are the ones you put your end mills in for those not familiar).