Seriously, I never had a tougher time deciding on a PC related part. It's worse than buying a car, at least I can test drive that. My dilemma is whether to buy a 144hz monitor or not. I'm still using a Dell 2208WFP 1680x1050 60hz TN monitor, so I have no baseline of comparison against anything modern, let alone an 144hz TN or IPS panel. I will be using a GTX1070.
Nowadays, I'm strictly a Single Player gamer, primarily in FPS and Flight Sims due to nerve damage in my left hand. Obviously, my response time in online gaming has suffered and has banished me to the Single Player world, because I can't keep up.
I know there are benefits for Desktop use like mouse movement, moving open windows and such, but in a Single Player world:
1) Does the benefit of the higher refresh rate make that much difference in gameplay?
2) Is 144hz noticeable when fighting BF4 NPCs when no humans are involved?
3) Or how about Xenomorphs in Alien Isolation? Am I going to see them sooner?
4) I've heard that 144hz rate allows you to hold steadier on target or see movement clearer but in NPC gaming is it the same?
5) Do 144hz owners use that refresh rate only when gaming and fall back to 60hz when not because of heat and power use?
6) Is the higher refresh rate easier on the eyes with long gaming sessions? (excluding tearing & stuttering issues)
So in a nutshell: Is upgrading to a 144hz monitor worth if you don't game competitively or online?