Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › New mouse and mouse pad and now my hand gets sweaty.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New mouse and mouse pad and now my hand gets sweaty.

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I just bought a Mionix Naos 7000 and a QCK Mass and while I like the mouse feels decent width wise I feel like my fingers are closer together since there is an actually place for my ring and pinky finger. Problem is my fingers are fat so the are very close together. On my old mouse I had to actually let the ring and pinky finger touch or hover on the mouse pad. Here are some pictures of me holding both you can see my finger placement.

The left is the Mionix Naos 7000 the right is my old mouse the Logitech G5.

So what I am wondering is, what is making my hand so sweaty. Is it the material of the mouse, the way I am holding it, the fact that my hand covers it more tightly due to the side ring and pinky grooves, heck it could be the mouse pad I haven't even really experimented with my old mouse on it yet.

Regardless, unless its the mouse pad, which I kinda doubt it is. What are my options? If its the mouse material what mouse could I get that changes that? If its just the way its held I guess I could get a different shaped mouse. I was recommended either the Rival 300 or Zowie EC1 since I have such large hands. Its a shame though because I feel like if it was slightly wider it could almost be a perfect fit.

Anyway and advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 13
With your old grip you obviously had a lot more air going over you last 2 fingers to keep them cooler. Would you be willing to try more of a fingertip/claw style grip to keep your fingers off the mouse as possible? Obviously if you were to change they way you're holding it, the mionix would no longer be an ideal shape for that new grip as its definitely designed for palm style. I don't have experience with many large mice so I can't give specific recommendations. Good luck!
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalProximity View Post

With your old grip you obviously had a lot more air going over you last 2 fingers to keep them cooler. Would you be willing to try more of a fingertip/claw style grip to keep your fingers off the mouse as possible? Obviously if you were to change they way you're holding it, the mionix would no longer be an ideal shape for that new grip as its definitely designed for palm style. I don't have experience with many large mice so I can't give specific recommendations. Good luck!
Yea its a catch 22 really if I would change my grip. The thing I am wondering is, is it the grip with the ring and pinky finger the issue and if so would a mouse without the side rests be better?Similar to my old one, or could the material be a cause as well. The Logitech G5 has a weird veiny black and blue coating that may be leaving air pockets and pathways.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of options for large handed people from what I see.
Edited by Bakuryu42 - 8/30/16 at 7:45am
post #4 of 13
I'm surprised you went with the Naos considering that the dimensions are very differnent from the g5. I was expecting you'll buy something bigger.

I have the naos also and I hate it for palm grip because it's too low and narrow and I think this is the reason why your hand is sweating. You might not realize it but you're probably putting a lot more effort in holding this mouse because you're trying to fit your fingers on the grooves and maybe even forcing your palm to touch the mouse.

The naos is actually more fingertip grip.

We have a similar grip with the g5 and that's also how I hold my ec1-a.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitavreb View Post

I'm surprised you went with the Naos considering that the dimensions are very differnent from the g5. I was expecting you'll buy something bigger.

I have the naos also and I hate it for palm grip because it's too low and narrow and I think this is the reason why your hand is sweating. You might not realize it but you're probably putting a lot more effort in holding this mouse because you're trying to fit your fingers on the grooves and maybe even forcing your palm to touch the mouse.

The naos is actually more fingertip grip.

We have a similar grip with the g5 and that's also how I hold my ec1-a.

I thought the Naos would be more comfortable and give me better control, it might give me better control, but its not exactly more comfortable. You say something bigger, but the Naos measurements width wide at the mid is bigger than most, although towards the front its smaller than most so I think it ended up with something not quite as wide as I though it would be. The Naos is advertised as a palm grip so its confusing to hear you say its meant for fingertip grip.

You had a g5 or you hold you ec1-a like I hold the g5? You said that you expected me to buy something bigger, which ones would you recommend? Would the Zowie EC1-A be one of them? Because measurement wise its not bigger. I was doing comparisons using this chart, although its a bit outdated the Zowie EC1-A is on there and the Naos 7000 predecessor is on there as well. Again though the measurements are made at the middle of the mouse for width so its a little deceptive.

Edit: I switched back to my old mouse, but kept the new mouse pad and my hand is still getting hot and its mainly in the lower palm/wrist area where my hand meets the pad. Are QCK's cloth pads know to be heat conductors?
Edited by Bakuryu42 - 8/30/16 at 7:32pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu42 View Post

I thought the Naos would be more comfortable and give me better control, it might give me better control, but its not exactly more comfortable. You say something bigger, but the Naos measurements width wide at the mid is bigger than most, although towards the front its smaller than most so I think it ended up with something not quite as wide as I though it would be.

Yes it is actually a little decieving that the naos looks like a wide mouse because it includes the grooves in its width measurement but that's not where you hold the mouse if you use your ring finger. It's in the front like how you hold it in the picture. The width from the lmb and rmb is narrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu42 View Post

The Naos is advertised as a palm grip so its confusing to hear you say its meant for fingertip grip.

The height of the naos is too low to support the palm and the grooves should prevent your ring and pinky fingers from touching the mouse pad but that's not the case because it is way too short, almost useless. Try pulling your hand back where your pinky and ring fingers are exactly on the grooves and not touching the pad, that's most likely how the naos was meant to be held.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu42 View Post


You had a g5 or you hold you ec1-a like I hold the g5? You said that you expected me to buy something bigger, which ones would you recommend? Would the Zowie EC1-A be one of them? Because measurement wise its not bigger. I was doing comparisons using this chart, although its a bit outdated the Zowie EC1-A is on there and the Naos 7000 predecessor is on there as well. Again though the measurements are made at the middle of the mouse for width so its a little deceptive.

Yes, I hold my ec1-a like you hold your g5.

Not that many big mice available and the ec1-a is considered to be one of them. It's one of the tallest at 43mm and its width is wider in the front(64mm) than in the middle which I think is more than enough for people with long fingers. The ec1-a will definitely feel bigger than the naos.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitavreb View Post

Yes it is actually a little decieving that the naos looks like a wide mouse because it includes the grooves in its width measurement but that's not where you hold the mouse if you use your ring finger. It's in the front like how you hold it in the picture. The width from the lmb and rmb is narrow.
Yea according to this post, the width with the extra grip is 85mm, but the front is actually 62mm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitavreb View Post

The height of the naos is too low to support the palm and the grooves should prevent your ring and pinky fingers from touching the mouse pad but that's not the case because it is way too short, almost useless. Try pulling your hand back where your pinky and ring fingers are exactly on the grooves and not touching the pad, that's most likely how the naos was meant to be held.
Yes, I hold my ec1-a like you hold your g5.
The height according to the post I linked to is 39mm which is not much less than the EC1-A's 43mm, the G5 was also 43mm or according to Logitech site 43.6mm. Your saying that my pinky still touches the pad because its to short height wise though right? I will try pulling back a bit on the Naos and see if that helps, but I also want to mention as I edited my last post that I switched back to my G5 and my wrist/lower palm still got hot and that seems to be from the mouse pad. I'll touch more on that at the end of this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitavreb View Post

Not that many big mice available and the ec1-a is considered to be one of them. It's one of the tallest at 43mm and its width is wider in the front(64mm) than in the middle which I think is more than enough for people with long fingers. The ec1-a will definitely feel bigger than the naos.
The length is actually a little bit shorter than the G5 and the Naos, from that post I linked to it says the Naos is actually very long at 135mm, according to Logitech website the G5 was 130.3mm and from the graphics on Zowies site the EC1-A is 128mm. The width though is more consistent for the mouse that its 43mm at the middle and the front though which is nice.

Lastly I want to talk about my mouse pad. I recently switch back to the G5 to experiement a bit and see if that had any effect and interesting while my hand was cool for the most part my wrist and lower palm was still getting hot and notice that the point of contact with my wrist and the pad was pretty hot as well. Do QCK pads have an issue with dissipating heat? My old mouse pad which was just a customized graphic standard mousepad never gave me this issue.
post #8 of 13
I don't really like mice that have too much contact area with the hand for this very reason, especially with the coatings used nowadays. Just having bumps in the right places for control and allow some air to pass through helps a lot to keep the hand cool.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
I need to make a decision pretty quickly. Just got back from a trip. I guess I am definitely returning the Mionix, not sure what I am replacing it with. As for the mousepad I am still unsure if it is also a problem.
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakuryu42 View Post

I need to make a decision pretty quickly. Just got back from a trip. I guess I am definitely returning the Mionix, not sure what I am replacing it with. As for the mousepad I am still unsure if it is also a problem.

EZ suggestion. BUY A G403!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › New mouse and mouse pad and now my hand gets sweaty.