Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Apple] iPhone 7 and 7 Plus announced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Apple] iPhone 7 and 7 Plus announced - Page 83  

post #821 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Yeah I hate that too. I hate downloading apps to add functionality. Apndroid keeps improving though for the good. I have been disappointed by iOS since 7. I mean most of the changes in iOS are App changes which Google does not need to update Android version to have their latest apps. Also as much as people like the Note to me its a bloated phone. Too many features that you do not need. Android was Nexus for me. A phone $300-350 with clean OS and fast updates. Galaxy is iPhone want to be of Android. I like the hardware of Samsung but sometimes people just want simple phones.

I think we have gotten off track with this topic.

For the record, I like Android. As I have said previously, I have used Android for 5 years prior to getting this iPhone 7. In fact, if it were for me giving into peer pressure (again), I would probably have either a Note 7 or an S7 Edge right now. However, there has been a bug in my head for the last year whispering sweet nothings to me... it said "What if you were a rebel for once? Got an iPhone while the rest of your "friends" are using Android devices?"

I will say this again, as well; I think the Note 7 is THE BEST LOOKING SMARTPHONE currently on the market. It also has the most "features" of any smartphone currently on the market. However, something I have come to realize is "My phone can do this, but yours CAN'T!!!" does not equal a good user experience. For example, my current car is a 2015 Mazda 3. Compared to my last 2 cars, it is a class below what they were. However, I maintain it is the best car I have ever owned for one MAJOR reason.

Mazda sweats the details on their cars.

The infotainment system is intuitive, the car is sporty AND comfortable at the same time, the seats are very supportive, the car gets amazing gas mileage, and the car looks more expensive on the interior and exterior than it's asking price would suggest. All of these items add up to a car that is an absolute joy to drive.

Apple is sort of like Mazda in their approach to developing a phone; they sweat the details. They want to make sure that, above all else, the user experience is the best it can possibly be. Unfortunately, being a power user for years before this, I didn't care. I wanted the phone because FEATURES!!!!!... not because it was a "great phone to live with every day."



The Mazda 3 is a great car to live with every day.

The iPhone 7 is a great phone to live with every day. wink.gif
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
post #822 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

I think we have gotten off track with this topic.

For the record, I like Android. As I have said previously, I have used Android for 5 years prior to getting this iPhone 7. In fact, if it were for me giving into peer pressure (again), I would probably have either a Note 7 or an S7 Edge right now. However, there has been a bug in my head for the last year whispering sweet nothings to me... it said "What if you were a rebel for once? Got an iPhone while the rest of your "friends" are using Android devices?"

I will say this again, as well; I think the Note 7 is THE BEST LOOKING SMARTPHONE currently on the market. It also has the most "features" of any smartphone currently on the market. However, something I have come to realize is "My phone can do this, but yours CAN'T!!!" does not equal a good user experience. For example, my current car is a 2015 Mazda 3. Compared to my last 2 cars, it is a class below what they were. However, I maintain it is the best car I have ever owned for one MAJOR reason.

Mazda sweats the details on their cars.

The infotainment system is intuitive, the car is sporty AND comfortable at the same time, the seats are very supportive, the car gets amazing gas mileage, and the car looks more expensive on the interior and exterior than it's asking price would suggest. All of these items add up to a car that is an absolute joy to drive.

Apple is sort of like Mazda in their approach to developing a phone; they sweat the details. They want to make sure that, above all else, the user experience is the best it can possibly be. Unfortunately, being a power user for years before this, I didn't care. I wanted the phone because FEATURES!!!!!... not because it was a "great phone to live with every day."



The Mazda 3 is a great car to live with every day.

The iPhone 7 is a great phone to live with every day. wink.gif

Love Mazdas but I think people would want to match iPhone with something with more you premium/luxury brand.

For me up until now I would have gotten an iPhone if I had money biggrin.gif. Most people would. In used market is so easy to buy second had Android phone for so much less than their MSRP. After using Galaxy S6 Edge for almost 1 year I got the same feeling as the time I had iPhone 4. People would always ask question about the curve of the screen, they would be amazed when I would pull the camera and take picture in a Laboratory. I really love that Samsung has done with their cameras. I do however like what LG has done with V20 camera software. To me iOS is like the Auto mode in the camera app. I want the Auto mode to be the best it can possible be because I will use that 90% of the time and its nice when you have time to play with settings.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
post #823 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Love Mazdas but I think people would want to match iPhone with something with more you premium/luxury brand.

I was using it as an example more than anything. Mazda doesn't make the most expensive car, but they are definitely not the cheapest either. I got it because I needed a car that I would like and was cheap(er) at the time. I could afford a nicer car now, but I still have 2 years left on my lease.
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
post #824 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

I think we have gotten off track with this topic.

For the record, I like Android. As I have said previously, I have used Android for 5 years prior to getting this iPhone 7. In fact, if it were for me giving into peer pressure (again), I would probably have either a Note 7 or an S7 Edge right now. However, there has been a bug in my head for the last year whispering sweet nothings to me... it said "What if you were a rebel for once? Got an iPhone while the rest of your "friends" are using Android devices?"

I will say this again, as well; I think the Note 7 is THE BEST LOOKING SMARTPHONE currently on the market. It also has the most "features" of any smartphone currently on the market. However, something I have come to realize is "My phone can do this, but yours CAN'T!!!" does not equal a good user experience. For example, my current car is a 2015 Mazda 3. Compared to my last 2 cars, it is a class below what they were. However, I maintain it is the best car I have ever owned for one MAJOR reason.

Mazda sweats the details on their cars.

The infotainment system is intuitive, the car is sporty AND comfortable at the same time, the seats are very supportive, the car gets amazing gas mileage, and the car looks more expensive on the interior and exterior than it's asking price would suggest. All of these items add up to a car that is an absolute joy to drive.

Apple is sort of like Mazda in their approach to developing a phone; they sweat the details. They want to make sure that, above all else, the user experience is the best it can possibly be. Unfortunately, being a power user for years before this, I didn't care. I wanted the phone because FEATURES!!!!!... not because it was a "great phone to live with every day."



The Mazda 3 is a great car to live with every day.

The iPhone 7 is a great phone to live with every day. wink.gif

Great post! thumb.gif I love my Note 7 (and my Note 5 before it). It is gorgeous and has so many great features that I use every day. Camera is tops among smart phones and we got expandable storage back which is something the iPhone will probably never have. That said, I admire the iPhone 7 (more so the Plus just because I hate small phones) and it has its own advantages vs the Note 7 such as the best SOC in a smart phone, an efficient and highly optimized OS that allows it to take advantage of the processor, and a camera nearly on par with the Galaxy phones. Looks great in black too!

Everybody wins!!!
post #825 of 1187
Last update on my iPhone 7, and I will be done.

After spending 3 weeks with this phone, this is simply THE BEST phone I have ever owned. Period.

The sound that comes out of these speakers are pretty damn good. I don't think they compare to the Boom Sound speakers from the HTC One M7 or M8. However, they are loud and extremely clear.

The solid-state home button is really REALLY cool. The fingerprint sensor on it is lightning fast and works perfectly. At this point, I definitely prefer to the "tap" it gives each time you press it compared to a conventional button. It's not for everyone, but I love it.

I knew app loading speed would be quite an improvement over my 2 year old Note 4. However, I did not realize it would be 4-5x as fast on loading every app. The RAM limitation of iOS is not an issue. 2GB is plenty. As soon as you leave a game, it basically freezes it and picks right back up where you left off as soon as you open it again. The change is nearly instantaneous, too. The ONLY games that this doesn't work for are those that are F2P and have a timer on them. In those, the game refreshes itself each time you exit, but that isn't the fault of iOS.

The screen is great. It definitely is not as sharp as the 1440P screens on flagship Androids, but I think it makes up for it with the accuracy of color it produces. I was comparing it side by side on my Note 4 (which was regarded as having the best screen when released), and there is no contest; I definitely prefer the vivid, high contrast images on the iPhone 7's IPS screen compared to the Note 4's AMOLED panel. Both screens look amazing, but the iPhone 7 (for me) has the better panel.

Battery life has been great for day-to-day use. Just using it normally (pick up, check facebook, check OCN, look at cat pictures, watch cat videos, put back down), it will easily last a day on battery life. The only time I run into issues is when playing tons of games during the day. When I do this, I will have to reach for a charger before the day is out. However, this probably applies to most phones currently on the market.


I do have 2 negatives about this phone. One of them is minor, and the other is pretty major.


The minor one is Apple's A10 Fusion SoC. It is lightning fast. Blistering Fast... and yet, Apple put two "low-power" cores on the same die. The reason for this is made obvious when running benchmarks that stress the CPU. ANY benchmark that stresses the CPU will burn through 2-3% (or more) battery per run. This means that while the A10 is the fastest ARM CPU currently on a consumer device, it is also an absolute power hog. Be warned... if all you do is run benchmarks on the CPU, this phone will be dead within 1.5 hours or less.

The MAJOR negative is the matte black finish on this phone. It is absolutely beautiful, especially since you cannot see the antenna lines. The problem with this is that the finish is so smooth and slippery that you absolutely have to have a case on it at all times. If not, you could drop the phone from your hands being sweaty alone. This is NOT a phone you want to be caseless with. I cannot speak for the other finishes, but if you don't like putting a case on your phone, stay away from the matte black finish.



I will reiterate what I said... this is the best phone I have ever used. Period. No Android device I have used to date even comes close. Now I see why Apple has such a loyal following. Their devices are definitely not perfect, but when it comes to the user experience, they are head, neck, and shoulders above Android. thumb.gif
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
post #826 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

Last update on my iPhone 7, and I will be done.

After spending 3 weeks with this phone, this is simply THE BEST phone I have ever owned. Period.

The sound that comes out of these speakers are pretty damn good. I don't think they compare to the Boom Sound speakers from the HTC One M7 or M8. However, they are loud and extremely clear.

The solid-state home button is really REALLY cool. The fingerprint sensor on it is lightning fast and works perfectly. At this point, I definitely prefer to the "tap" it gives each time you press it compared to a conventional button. It's not for everyone, but I love it.

I knew app loading speed would be quite an improvement over my 2 year old Note 4. However, I did not realize it would be 4-5x as fast on loading every app. The RAM limitation of iOS is not an issue. 2GB is plenty. As soon as you leave a game, it basically freezes it and picks right back up where you left off as soon as you open it again. The change is nearly instantaneous, too. The ONLY games that this doesn't work for are those that are F2P and have a timer on them. In those, the game refreshes itself each time you exit, but that isn't the fault of iOS.

The screen is great. It definitely is not as sharp as the 1440P screens on flagship Androids, but I think it makes up for it with the accuracy of color it produces. I was comparing it side by side on my Note 4 (which was regarded as having the best screen when released), and there is no contest; I definitely prefer the vivid, high contrast images on the iPhone 7's IPS screen compared to the Note 4's AMOLED panel. Both screens look amazing, but the iPhone 7 (for me) has the better panel.

Battery life has been great for day-to-day use. Just using it normally (pick up, check facebook, check OCN, look at cat pictures, watch cat videos, put back down), it will easily last a day on battery life. The only time I run into issues is when playing tons of games during the day. When I do this, I will have to reach for a charger before the day is out. However, this probably applies to most phones currently on the market.


I do have 2 negatives about this phone. One of them is minor, and the other is pretty major.


The minor one is Apple's A10 Fusion SoC. It is lightning fast. Blistering Fast... and yet, Apple put two "low-power" cores on the same die. The reason for this is made obvious when running benchmarks that stress the CPU. ANY benchmark that stresses the CPU will burn through 2-3% (or more) battery per run. This means that while the A10 is the fastest ARM CPU currently on a consumer device, it is also an absolute power hog. Be warned... if all you do is run benchmarks on the CPU, this phone will be dead within 1.5 hours or less.

The MAJOR negative is the matte black finish on this phone. It is absolutely beautiful, especially since you cannot see the antenna lines. The problem with this is that the finish is so smooth and slippery that you absolutely have to have a case on it at all times. If not, you could drop the phone from your hands being sweaty alone. This is NOT a phone you want to be caseless with. I cannot speak for the other finishes, but if you don't like putting a case on your phone, stay away from the matte black finish.



I will reiterate what I said... this is the best phone I have ever used. Period. No Android device I have used to date even comes close. Now I see why Apple has such a loyal following. Their devices are definitely not perfect, but when it comes to the user experience, they are head, neck, and shoulders above Android. thumb.gif

I have always wondered how Apple could get such fast SOCs to perform that well.

Also you you talk about the screen you say that you prefer the vivid and higher contrast IPS screen but I am pretty sure OLED those are the 2 strong points of OLED lol. I could be wrong since I never used Note 4. Even with my old Galaxy Nexus, PS Vita after using OLED screen and going back to computer IPS, VA, iPad IPS, Android IPS all look washed out.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
post #827 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

I have always wondered how Apple could get such fast SOCs to perform that well.

Also you you talk about the screen you say that you prefer the vivid and higher contrast IPS screen but I am pretty sure OLED those are the 2 strong points of OLED lol. I could be wrong since I never used Note 4. Even with my old Galaxy Nexus, PS Vita after using OLED screen and going back to computer IPS, VA, iPad IPS, Android IPS all look washed out.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that current AMOLED panels are more colorful/vivid in their presentation. It also helps because as far contrast goes, while you can always see the glow of a backlight on IPS panels, AMOLED has perfect blacks; AMOLED will always be king of contrast. Currently looking at my Note 4 and iPhone 7 at similar brightness levels, the colors just seem to "pop" more on the iPhone 7. I think the reason for this is because

1. It's a newer screen (lol)
2. The color calibration on it is spot on the iPhone 7 (this one is supported by DisplayMate's testing).

The colors are definitely more separated and pleasing to look at on the iPhone 7. Again, I think the Note 4 has a fantastic display, and I am confident that the Note 7 has a better display. But as far as IPS panels go, the one on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are as good as it gets for the time being.
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
Everest - Intel
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4790k Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 16GB (2x8) Patriot Viper 1866Mhz  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 3TB, WD 500GB HDD, WD 640GB HD Samsung 850 EVO 512GB Samsung DVD-Burner Corsair H110 w/ Dual Aerocool DS 140mm fans 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro Dell S2716DG (1440p, 144hz Gsync) AOC U3477 PQU (3440x1440 IPS) Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga SuperNOVA 750 G2 NZXT Phantom 530 Black Logitech G502 Proteus Core Corsair MM400 
AudioAudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones HyperX Cloud Headset 
  hide details  
post #828 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post


The minor one is Apple's A10 Fusion SoC. It is lightning fast. Blistering Fast... and yet, Apple put two "low-power" cores on the same die. The reason for this is made obvious when running benchmarks that stress the CPU. ANY benchmark that stresses the CPU will burn through 2-3% (or more) battery per run. This means that while the A10 is the fastest ARM CPU currently on a consumer device, it is also an absolute power hog. Be warned... if all you do is run benchmarks on the CPU, this phone will be dead within 1.5 hours or less.

The MAJOR negative is the matte black finish on this phone. It is absolutely beautiful, especially since you cannot see the antenna lines. The problem with this is that the finish is so smooth and slippery that you absolutely have to have a case on it at all times. If not, you could drop the phone from your hands being sweaty alone. This is NOT a phone you want to be caseless with. I cannot speak for the other finishes, but if you don't like putting a case on your phone, stay away from the matte black finish.

Your minor point is pretty much what I pointed out earlier in this thread: iPhone battery optimization is meaningless in demanding applications.

About your major point, now we can confirm that matte black is bad. Last year 6s/6s+ 's pink and gold were also nightmares with paint peeling. The Apple quality control is really weak in this area.

Quick note about iPhone 7 screen, somehow I feel it's a bit yellow-ish. Can't confirm whether it's just my eyes or my friend's iP7 is a bad sample.
Edited by blue1512 - 10/6/16 at 7:53pm
post #829 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that current AMOLED panels are more colorful/vivid in their presentation. It also helps because as far contrast goes, while you can always see the glow of a backlight on IPS panels, AMOLED has perfect blacks; AMOLED will always be king of contrast. Currently looking at my Note 4 and iPhone 7 at similar brightness levels, the colors just seem to "pop" more on the iPhone 7. I think the reason for this is because

1. It's a newer screen (lol)
2. The color calibration on it is spot on the iPhone 7 (this one is supported by DisplayMate's testing).

The colors are definitely more separated and pleasing to look at on the iPhone 7. Again, I think the Note 4 has a fantastic display, and I am confident that the Note 7 has a better display. But as far as IPS panels go, the one on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are as good as it gets for the time being.

Accurate screen should not "pop". My Galaxy S6 had the accurate setting and looked washed out to oversaturated Video mode. There is another thing that happens with smartphones screens. They have a layer that protects them from scratching but with use the phone screen start to look more dull. When the phone is new the screen look extra sharp and crisp. I tried this with one of my phone with the same new phone and was amazed at the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1512 View Post

Your minor point is pretty much what I pointed out earlier in this thread: iPhone battery optimization is meaningless in demanding applications.

About your major point, now we can confirm that matte black is bad. Last year 6s/6s+ 's pink and gold were also nightmares with paint peeling. The Apple quality control is really weak in this area.

Quick note about iPhone 7 screen, somehow I feel it's a bit yellow-ish. Can't confirm whether it's just my eyes or my friend's iP7 is a bad sample.

Battery life for all devices goes off the roof with demanding applications. 100% SOC load is never used to calculate battery life. The nice this is that a fast SOC and optimized OS means that the SOC does not get used up to 100%.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
post #830 of 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that current AMOLED panels are more colorful/vivid in their presentation. It also helps because as far contrast goes, while you can always see the glow of a backlight on IPS panels, AMOLED has perfect blacks; AMOLED will always be king of contrast. Currently looking at my Note 4 and iPhone 7 at similar brightness levels, the colors just seem to "pop" more on the iPhone 7. I think the reason for this is because

1. It's a newer screen (lol)
2. The color calibration on it is spot on the iPhone 7 (this one is supported by DisplayMate's testing).

The colors are definitely more separated and pleasing to look at on the iPhone 7. Again, I think the Note 4 has a fantastic display, and I am confident that the Note 7 has a better display. But as far as IPS panels go, the one on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are as good as it gets for the time being.

No offense, but I think there is a bit of fanboying going on here (and with your other iPhone 7 posts) which is to be expected since you have a new toy and are happy with it. The fact is the Note 7 has the best display on any smart phone and is far superior to the iPhone's in nearly every way. The camera is also better overall with the auto-focus being the fastest of any phone camera ever. That said, I am not going to fanboy out over my Note 7 which (besides the obvious) has plenty of problems itself. The Snapdragon 820 is simply sub par for this kind of flagship device, period. The Apple SOC's are so far beyond any of the Android ones its just not even funny. The RAM management is still a sore subject with Android and with Galaxy phones in particular. The sound quality of the on board speaker is pretty underwhelming as well. Other than those issues, the Note 7 remains the best smart phone on the market today (of course just in my opinion) with the iPhone 7 simply being too small for my tastes. I'd have to get the Plus and even then it would have a smaller screen with lower PPI, no curve, and bezels for days! The iPhone is a fantastic device and I agree with you for the most part but your posts are just coming off a tad too complimentary, as if there are absolutely no issues whatsoever and everything about it is perfect. That's just not reality, not for any product...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Apple] iPhone 7 and 7 Plus announced