Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Bring the Old School 775 to life!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bring the Old School 775 to life!

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone!
So what i'm trying to do is bring back my old system to life. Ever since i upgraded to a whole new computer, 2600k , cooler master cosmos ii and some other heavy stuff like custom wattercooling 4 gpus, i noticed that my show-off pc isn't realy easy portable.

So i came here ask for help to my cpu choice on my old rig cause in this moment the pc has an C2D 8600 in it and i'm not satisfied with the results.

What do i have in this moment:
- Asus P5KC mobo
- Asus r9 270x 2gb
- This ram's on it's way to me


My objectives/goals:
- CS:GO 144 fps minimum
- GTA V: 60 fps Medium/high settings

Some of my cpu choices :
- Xeon x5482 ( Modded to 775 )

I'm in a tight budget so i want the best perfomance for the price. Also i am thinking doing a litlle bit of overclock.

Let's see what you guys say
And thanks anyways
post #2 of 16
In 775 quad cores a Q9400 is the price point currently.
As low as $20 on eBay and they overclock well.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX6300 Black M5A99X EVO R2.0 Nvidia GTS450 Team Vulcan PC3 12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 PRO Asus DRW-1608P (x2) Custom Water Cooling Win7 (Ult), Win 8.1 & Win Server 2012 R2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2 X Samsung 915N Ducky Shine III, Blue Cherry/Blue LEDs PCP&C 1kw Lian Li PC-71 (W/Window) 
MouseAudio
Logiteck G400s none 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
Don't go with that 1600 FSB Xeon, go with 1333MHZ 12MB 771 quad core, with the highest multi you can afford. E54*0 series are the lower TDP parts, so less heat output. E5430-E5450 would be the way to go IMO, but make sure your board works with the 771 mod (it should). Other than that, if you have to buy 775 CPU, get the highest multi 12MB quad you can afford and overclock.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

In 775 quad cores a Q9400 is the price point currently.
As low as $20 on eBay and they overclock well.

Do you know any information of the xeon performance in 1080p gaming to my requirements ?

I've seen some vids from c2q and do not meet my requirements. So i trying to go up a little bit power like qx9770 or xeon x5482
post #5 of 16
Overclocking the 1333 FSB 771 quads, people are easily getting 4+GHz...just saying. I would not bother with that X5482, or any of the 1600 FSB quads unless you don't plan on overclocking at all. Also, I don't even think your board would support the 1600 FSB CPU anyway...someone correct me if I am wrong...

EDIT - nevermind, not sure what I was looking at, your board sure does support 1600 FSB. Sorry for any confusion.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

Overclocking the 1333 FSB 771 quads, people are easily getting 4+GHz...just saying. I would not bother with that X5482, or any of the 1600 FSB quads unless you don't plan on overclocking at all. Also, I don't even think your board would support the 1600 FSB CPU anyway...someone correct me if I am wrong...

EDIT - nevermind, not sure what I was looking at, your board sure does support 1600 FSB. Sorry for any confusion.

And my board with x5482 will support my ddr2 800 mhz rams ? Newer question always coming kk
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skumfukk View Post

And my board with x5482 will support my ddr2 800 mhz rams ? Newer question always coming kk

It looks like your board supports both DDR2 or DDR3...so it will work, but for maximum performance, you should have went with 1333 DDR3 RAM instead of the 800 DDR2. Also, I would still suggest something like the E5450 rather than the X5482...if you buy an E5450, and "overclock" the FSB to 1600, you'll be at 3.6Ghz, instead of the 3.2GHz X5482 at the same FSB...you could even go with an X5460 or X5470 to get an even higher multiplier...depends on how much you want to spend. X5470 is the best 1333 771 quad - 3.33GHz stock, 10x multiplier means 4GHz at 1600FSB...Also, you'll need a pretty beefy cooler if you go with any of the X54** series chips...those are 120W TDP, versus 80W TDP of the E54** series Xeons. That's why I suggest the E5450...best E54** series Xeon.
Edited by Aaron_Henderson - 9/14/16 at 3:47pm
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

It looks like your board supports both DDR2 or DDR3...so it will work, but for maximum performance, you should have went with 1333 DDR3 RAM instead of the 800 DDR2. Also, I would still suggest something like the E5450 rather than the X5482...if you buy an E5450, and "overclock" the FSB to 1600, you'll be at 3.6Ghz, instead of the 3.2GHz X5482 at the same FSB...you could even go with an X5460 or X5470 to get an even higher multiplier...depends on how much you want to spend. X5470 is the best 1333 771 quad - 3.33GHz stock, 10x multiplier means 4GHz at 1600FSB...Also, you'll need a pretty beefy cooler if you go with any of the X54** series chips...those are 120W TDP, versus 80W TDP of the E54** series Xeons. That's why I suggest the E5450...best E54** series Xeon.

Okay so now we're in the e5450, you think with a good overclock will it push a little more than stock ? I am looking at these video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAUkL4ydoI
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

It looks like your board supports both DDR2 or DDR3...so it will work, but for maximum performance, you should have went with 1333 DDR3 RAM instead of the 800 DDR2. Also, I would still suggest something like the E5450 rather than the X5482...if you buy an E5450, and "overclock" the FSB to 1600, you'll be at 3.6Ghz, instead of the 3.2GHz X5482 at the same FSB...you could even go with an X5460 or X5470 to get an even higher multiplier...depends on how much you want to spend. X5470 is the best 1333 771 quad - 3.33GHz stock, 10x multiplier means 4GHz at 1600FSB...Also, you'll need a pretty beefy cooler if you go with any of the X54** series chips...those are 120W TDP, versus 80W TDP of the E54** series Xeons. That's why I suggest the E5450...best E54** series Xeon.

E5450 good for OC like the X5470 you were talking bout ?
post #10 of 16
It'll be a good chunk better than stock...I would imagine 3.6GHz minimum on the E5450, perhaps quite a bit more...around 450 (1800) FSB would get you to 4GHz. A more expensive, and higher TDP X5470, mind you, only needs 400 FSB...but better cooling. I would personally get the E5450 w/ 775to771 sticker, and then sell or return your DDR2 and get some 1333 (or even 1600) DDR3, and possibly a decent CPU cooler. With proper cooling, I would definitely bet money the X5470 will have highest maximum overclock on your board, but lots of heat and tweaking to get there. It's your call...E5450 is just the right price to performance ratio...spending on an X5470 is probably not a wise choice, unless you are doing this just for fun and want to see what the maximum performance you can get off this platform is. So basically...if you plan to overclock to the moon and don't really care about budget, X5470, but if you just want something that doesn't need a $100 cooler to overclock, doesn't break the bank, and should still be able to get near 4GHz on your board (maybe not quite)...go with E5450 . Go check out the two major 771 to 775 threads if you haven't...there is loads of help and info over there too. That's pretty much the gist of it right now, I think...X5470 or E5450.
Edited by Aaron_Henderson - 9/14/16 at 4:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Bring the Old School 775 to life!