Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › CPU Cooler Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPU Cooler Question

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
This is my current cpu cooler for the last 3 years, does a good job but, lately when Folding some of my cpu cores (6 core) can reach 72c



Would this be a better cooler for Folding? when I game the hottest my cpu gets is 62c




Case fan setup: 2 120mm intake front, 2 140mm top exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 39
From a purely physics stand point it should. There is overall more surface area to the heat-sync thus there is more potential for greater heat transfer.

Judging by your fan setup I would think you would certainly do better with the new heat-sync.

Also you could always consider an all-in-one liquid cooler. However, I think those larger Noctua heat-syncs can do about the same only it is a louder setup.
post #3 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan3214 View Post

From a purely physics stand point it should. There is overall more surface area to the heat-sync thus there is more potential for greater heat transfer.

Judging by your fan setup I would think you would certainly do better with the new heat-sync.

Also you could always consider an all-in-one liquid cooler. However, I think those larger Noctua heat-syncs can do about the same only it is a louder setup.

Thank you.
I think I will order it then.
As for AIO coolers, I don't like them as like you said a good air cooler will do just as good, the only way I would use liquid
cooling is to build a custom setup but I don't think for my setup and it's use it would be worth the money.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan3214 View Post

However, I think those larger Noctua heat-syncs can do about the same only it is a louder setup.
About the same with much less noise, actually!

What speeds are your fans running at? With that much exhaust you might be running into the inconvenience of negative pressure, which isn't that big of a deal, but positive pressure is generally preferred for dust reasons.

Might consider getting rid of the rear-top exhaust and flipping the front-top exhaust into an intake to feed the CPU cooler.
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
finally quiet
(20 items)
 
Peggy
(11 items)
 
Betty - WIP
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-760 3.8 + turbo MSI P55-GD80 MSI GTX 970 Golden Edition 16GB Tactical LP 1600 c8 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB OCZ Agility 60GB Spinpoint F3 1TB Noctua NH-U12P SE2 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
2x NF-P12, CPU OS X 10.10, 8.1 Ultimate Asus VW246H Ergotron Neo-Flex 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Quick Fire Rapid EVGA Supernova G2 850W Silverstone FT-02W CM Spawn 
AudioAudioAudio
Sony TA-AX380 Sennheiser HD 280 KLH 911B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2125 GA-H61N USB3 HD3000 8GB Samsung Miracle RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston 60GB 3ware/LSI 9750-4i Hitachi 5k3000 2TB x4 RAID 5 Intel for now 
OSPowerCase
OS X 10.8.2 Corsiar CX430M Fractal Design Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3-2100 ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM ASUS Passive GT 440 4GB Dominator 1600 c8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Hitachi 120GB 2.5" LG BR-RW CM GeminII S + NF-P12 2x NF-R8 - Intake 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
NF-B9 Windows 7 Sony KDL-46NX700 MK700 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec EA-650 Zalman HD160XT, Modded MK700 Yamaha RX-V373 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 39
What temperatures were you having in the past? I highly doubt the amount of heat the heatsink can move has changed, so it must either have an issue with contacting the heat source or a problem removing the heat. Taking the heatsink off, cleaning it, and reapplying your thermal interface material should bring back the original performance. If it doesn't then there is an issue with the fans, fan control, or some sort of change which negatively impacts the airflow.

I would STRONGLY advise against spending money on a brand new heatsink. If it worked before then it will continue to work with proper maintenance. You may want to revisit how your airflow works in your case. Flipping the rear exhaust fan around might give you a better balance of airflow in and out of the case (assuming you have a PSU with an exhaust fan), as well as introduce cool air where you need it. Also, many times I have seen heatsinks that have fans blowing downward tend to perform better by flipping the fan around with the fan blowing away from the socket. Cool air in plus moving air away from the socket area should help reduce temperatures.

But really the first point is critical - figure out why you had a negative change in cooling performance. Having a clean heatsink with fresh TIM should bring you back to the temps you had in the beginning.
post #6 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleer Kut View Post

What temperatures were you having in the past? I highly doubt the amount of heat the heatsink can move has changed, so it must either have an issue with contacting the heat source or a problem removing the heat. Taking the heatsink off, cleaning it, and reapplying your thermal interface material should bring back the original performance. If it doesn't then there is an issue with the fans, fan control, or some sort of change which negatively impacts the airflow.

I would STRONGLY advise against spending money on a brand new heatsink. If it worked before then it will continue to work with proper maintenance. You may want to revisit how your airflow works in your case. Flipping the rear exhaust fan around might give you a better balance of airflow in and out of the case (assuming you have a PSU with an exhaust fan), as well as introduce cool air where you need it. Also, many times I have seen heatsinks that have fans blowing downward tend to perform better by flipping the fan around with the fan blowing away from the socket. Cool air in plus moving air away from the socket area should help reduce temperatures.

But really the first point is critical - figure out why you had a negative change in cooling performance. Having a clean heatsink with fresh TIM should bring you back to the temps you had in the beginning.

After further research and then reading your post I have placed an order for some thermal paste, as said in my first post I have had my cpu cooler for 3 years
and it just happens that Noctua recommends the thermal paste be replaced every 3 years with new. they also said the shelf life of their thermal paste is 3 years
so I tossed the tube I still had that came with my cooler and ordered new.
I sure it's the thermal paste so I changed my mind and did not order a new cpu cooler.
My temps up until the last 3 weeks never went over 62c while folding, I have never had a temp issue with my system until the last few weeks
so it has to be thermal paste being old, my gpu and mother board chipset run very cool. max gpu temp is 67c with 40% fan, chipset is 52c.
I run all my fans at max except gpu is on auto fan control through the gpu bios.
I read up on the latest test on thermal paste and this is number 2 in the top 5 with the Noctua in at number 3 which is what I have currently on the cooler.

Edited by jlhawn - 10/3/16 at 8:49pm
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleer Kut View Post

I would STRONGLY advise against spending money on a brand new heatsink. If it worked before then it will continue to work with proper maintenance. You may want to revisit how your airflow works in your case.

True that. The heat sink isn't going to drop in performance over time unless the fan stops working or the whole thing corrodes
Ol'Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5660 P6X58D-E XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X Corsair Vengeance 24 GB Triple Chanel 6x4GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua DH-14 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 24" LED 1080p 5ms DVI (S23A300B) 
PowerMouseAudio
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Gold Corsair M95 Onboard :S 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol'Faithful
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon x5660 P6X58D-E XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X Corsair Vengeance 24 GB Triple Chanel 6x4GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Lite-On DVD-RW Noctua DH-14 CPU Cooler Windows 7 Pro x64 Samsung 24" LED 1080p 5ms DVI (S23A300B) 
PowerMouseAudio
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Gold Corsair M95 Onboard :S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

True that. The heat sink isn't going to drop in performance over time unless the fan stops working or the whole thing corrodes

and I keep everything clean and dust free, no build up of dust in the cooler fins,
I believe the new paste will solve the problem, don't know why I didn't think of
it myself when in the paste I replaced the paste on my 2 old GTX 580's for the
same reason and it fixed the problem. oh well it must be my old age. smile.gif

also I should have been more clear on my original post, redface.gif
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 39
Hi.. I just want to ask if is it safe to use this? I bought this cooler last MAY and until now I didn't get to install this on my unit.. (because i still don't have the right motherboard.. I'm upgrading.. ) I don't know if this is a leak, but for what i think, this came from the powdered thing that was included from the box. I can't really explain whatever the hell that thing is.. So, Is it safe to use this? or how can I remove this thing? or should I throw away this thing?



post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMegatron View Post

Hi.. I just want to ask if is it safe to use this? I bought this cooler last MAY and until now I didn't get to install this on my unit.. (because i still don't have the right motherboard.. I'm upgrading.. ) I don't know if this is a leak, but for what i think, this came from the powdered thing that was included from the box. I can't really explain whatever the hell that thing is.. So, Is it safe to use this? or how can I remove this thing? or should I throw away this thing?



Appears to be a plastic protector for the cooler base. Yes, it needs to be removed before mounting. Grab the tab the arrow points to and rip it off!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › CPU Cooler Question