Originally Posted by jcde7ago
I don't understand this phone release at all...*** is Google thinking?
You can't just release a direct iPhone competitor and sell it at Apple prices without including much of anything that makes it actually worth that kind of a premium price...
No dog in this fight as i'm platform agnostic with both a Note 7 and 7 Plus, but seriously...going up against Apple by taking the 'sole manufacturer of the hardware and OS supply chain' approach only works when you:
- have brick and mortar stores globally with world class support
- aren't competing with a bunch of other manufacturers on your own platform
- have an established relationship with multiple carriers and financing options that make the phone more accessible
- don't release a premium product that is near double the cost of previous products without double the benefit
Let's be realistic...people who own a Nexus 5/6 or a Galaxy phone are NOT being wowed by the Pixel and are not likely to upgrade at this price point...and I don't see why anyone would.
- Stock Android, but this isn't hard to achieve
- headphone jack
- first gen product (it's likely not to be as efficient or fluid as is possible but by the time it is, will it be supported still?)
- no waterproofing
- no sd card slot
- no iris scanner
- no s pen
- no dual camera
- no 3d touch
- no software support after 2 years (a 4+ year old iPhone 5 is fully supported by iOS 10...***, Google...TWO freaking years of support, for a device that STARTS at $600+?! Unreal).
- no resell value (historically, Android phones don't come close to iPhones in terms of resale value)
I mean, the list goes on and on. I wanted to be blown away by Google with this phone, and they had EVERY opportunity to make waves with the Pixel...but...i'm just laughing instead because they literally just released the Amazon Fire Phone v2 (which is funny because they just 'poached' the Amazon exec to head up their mobile phone division...just...yikes).
TL;DR: Google: Hey! Use our new Google Assistant to make our neural network better! Also, upload all your photos to us (UNLIMITED STORAGE!) so we can get that data too in addition to everything else you use on the phone that we can legally mine for data! We're not offering anything new or mind-blowing with this phone compared to the competition but we'll charge you Apple pricing without the accompanying level of support! By the way, did we mention that Nexus LITERALLY died for THIS