Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Various] Lizard Squad and PoodleCorp pair charged by US Feds - Game server DDOS attacks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] Lizard Squad and PoodleCorp pair charged by US Feds - Game server DDOS attacks

post #1 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:

An international investigation into the activities of Lizard Squad and PoodleCorp (operators of for-hire Denial of Service or DDoS attacks) has resulted in two men being charged with “conspiring to cause damage to protected computers”. An Illinois Department of Justice statement names Zachary Buchta (19) from Maryland, and Bradley Jan Willem van Rooy (also 19) of Leiden, in the Netherlands, as the charged pair.

 

The ‘stresser’ term refers to PoodleCorps ‘Poodlestresser’ DDoS-for-hire service, which the group have claimed has been instrumental in DDoS attacks on multiple games, including Blizzard titles and (more recently) the Battlefield 1 beta.

 

Sources:

 

http://www.pcinvasion.com/lizard-squad-poodlecorp-pair-charged-feds

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/pr/american-and-dutch-teenagers-arrested-criminal-charges-allegedly-operating

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/10/two-teens-charged-with-helping-lizard-squad-run-hack-for-hire-websites/

post #2 of 65
Good riddance. We don't need people like this around. Anyone who attacks another and causes greater turmoil due to their own petty reasons deserves no less than the law coming down like a hammer.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6300HQ Dell Proprietary 4GB Nvidia GTX 960M Samsung 12GB (1x8GB 1x4GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB SanDisk M.2 SSD 1TB HGST 7.2k HDD Custom Cooling by Dell Solutions Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Screen Dell 130w PSU Logitech G602 Wireless 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 'Ripper' Mouse Pad 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2760QM Toshiba Qosmio X775 Nvidia 1.5GB GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 830 SSD + 1TB HGST 7200RPM HDD CD/DVD-RW Stock Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
17.3" - 1600x900 Standard backlit 180w Power Adapter Logitech G500s 
Audio
Harmon/Kardon Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Good riddance. We don't need people like this around. Anyone who attacks another and causes greater turmoil due to their own petty reasons deserves no less than the law coming down like a hammer.

I don't know about that, pretty simplistic view you have there, we do need people like that.

There is no good without evil, and there is no progress without cause.
We need people like this in the world, they test the security and durability of systems which gives reason for better security and better preventative methods to be invented.

But you are right, once they get caught, throw the book at them. In some cases, when the hackers are actually talented, they get offered jobs preventing people like themselves getting access to other networks/systems and end up being a positive influence on things, which probably outweighs the negatives...
post #4 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post


I don't know about that, pretty simplistic view you have there, we do need people like that.

There is no good without evil, and there is no progress without cause.
We need people like this in the world, they test the security and durability of systems which gives reason for better security and better preventative methods to be invented.

But you are right, once they get caught, throw the book at them. In some cases, when the hackers are actually talented, they get offered jobs preventing people like themselves getting access to other networks/systems and end up being a positive influence on things, which probably outweighs the negatives...

 

I think what he's saying is that we don't need people around who obviously have a talent, but just use it to annoy others.

post #5 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

Good riddance. We don't need people like this around. Anyone who attacks another and causes greater turmoil due to their own petty reasons deserves no less than the law coming down like a hammer.

I don't know about that, pretty simplistic view you have there, we do need people like that.

There is no good without evil, and there is no progress without cause.
We need people like this in the world, they test the security and durability of systems which gives reason for better security and better preventative methods to be invented.

But you are right, once they get caught, throw the book at them. In some cases, when the hackers are actually talented, they get offered jobs preventing people like themselves getting access to other networks/systems and end up being a positive influence on things, which probably outweighs the negatives...

If it's done as a stress test it's fine, if it's done to cause harm maliciously there is a problem.

The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Linux Mint 18.3 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
The girlfriend.
(15 items)
 
The Mistress
(13 items)
 
Media Server
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A8-6410 Lenovo Lancer 4B2 K16.3 R5 128 Shaders/M230 Hynix 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 120 GB SSD Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rmp Linux Mint 18.3 CMN1487 TN LED 14" 1366*768 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Lenovo AccuType 2900mAh/41Wh Elan Trackpad/Logitech M90 Super Flower 
Audio
AMD Avalon(Connexant) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

In some cases, when the hackers are actually talented, they get offered jobs preventing people like themselves getting access to other networks/systems and end up being a positive influence on things, which probably outweighs the negatives...
There's a place in society for mostly everyone, if you try hard enough to make that place. It's part of the philosophy behind freedom and integration; lots of material on that.

A certain amount of malevolence must be allowed; possibly even encouraged if there's danger of certain types of knowledge being lost. It goes for more than just hackers, but hackers are a good example because they're like your average criminal.. except we understand how talented they can be compared to us.

If the US can't produce as many reliable hackers as the next nation over, they stand at a disadvantage. And imagine how hard it is, in America, to produce savagely brilliant hackers? It must be hard, when the corporate world is willing to offer intelligent programmers the world on a silver platter.

If the military intelligence agencies were smart, they'd encourage kids to target corporations because the skill level required is very, very high. And because corporations can take it, and keep raising the bar. They'd be getting quality recruits whom they could blackmail, but in all reality probably wouldn't need to; I'm sure hacking other countries for the good of their motherland sounds like a dream to these kids.

It'd be silly for the US to throw any of the good ones in jail. Maybe the untalented ones, but definitely not the good ones.
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post


There's a place in society for mostly everyone, if you try hard enough to make that place. It's part of the philosophy behind freedom and integration; lots of material on that.

A certain amount of malevolence must be allowed; possibly even encouraged if there's danger of certain types of knowledge being lost. It goes for more than just hackers, but hackers are a good example because they're like your average criminal.. except we understand how talented they can be compared to us.

If the US can't produce as many reliable hackers as the next nation over, they stand at a disadvantage. And imagine how hard it is, in America, to produce savagely brilliant hackers? It must be hard, when the corporate world is willing to offer intelligent programmers the world on a silver platter.

If the military intelligence agencies were smart, they'd encourage kids to target corporations because the skill level required is very, very high. And because corporations can take it, and keep raising the bar. They'd be getting quality recruits whom they could blackmail, but in all reality probably wouldn't need to; I'm sure hacking other countries for the good of their motherland sounds like a dream to these kids.

It'd be silly for the US to throw any of the good ones in jail. Maybe the untalented ones, but definitely not the good one

 

No offence, but i'm fairly sure that national cyber defence agencies are probably a lot smarter than a random bloke commenting on a small computer forum.

 

I think encouraging people to attack corporations is that stupid in many ways.

post #8 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

I don't know about that, pretty simplistic view you have there, we do need people like that.

There is no good without evil, and there is no progress without cause.
We need people like this in the world, they test the security and durability of systems which gives reason for better security and better preventative methods to be invented.

But you are right, once they get caught, throw the book at them. In some cases, when the hackers are actually talented, they get offered jobs preventing people like themselves getting access to other networks/systems and end up being a positive influence on things, which probably outweighs the negatives...
This is why penetration testers exist, though. The skill itself is important, but there are practical ways to learn how to hack and practical ways to use it. For example, going to university for IT security and then becoming a security analyst is a practical way. On the other hand, hacking things because you want pseudo-fame is kind of malicious.
 
BOINC Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.875 GHz ASUS Prime X370-Pro EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2114 MHz 356 GB/s G.SKILL 2x8GB 3200 MHz 14-13-13-32-1T 48 tRC 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Noctua NH-D15 2 x Cougar CF-V12HP Top Intake Noctua NF-F12 2000 RPM Rear Exhaust 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Phanteks F140SP Front Intake Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit ASUS MG279Q 1440p IPS 150 Hz OC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown Seasonic Platinum 660XP Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G203 Prodigy 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
OPPO PM-3 HIFIMAN HE-560 Schiit Asgard 2 Cambridge DacMagic 100 
  hide details  
Reply
 
BOINC Server
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.875 GHz ASUS Prime X370-Pro EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2114 MHz 356 GB/s G.SKILL 2x8GB 3200 MHz 14-13-13-32-1T 48 tRC 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB Noctua NH-D15 2 x Cougar CF-V12HP Top Intake Noctua NF-F12 2000 RPM Rear Exhaust 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
2 x Phanteks F140SP Front Intake Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit ASUS MG279Q 1440p IPS 150 Hz OC 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 5 MX Brown Seasonic Platinum 660XP Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G203 Prodigy 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
OPPO PM-3 HIFIMAN HE-560 Schiit Asgard 2 Cambridge DacMagic 100 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98uk View Post

No offence, but i'm fairly sure that national cyber defence agencies are probably a lot smarter than a random bloke commenting on a small computer forum.

I think encouraging people to attack corporations is that stupid in many ways.
Academia can only produce so many talented people, and when it does it will not be easy to convince those people to turn national security into priority one when they have the kind of education that allows them to choose any lifestyle.

If you want dedicated military intelligence workers, you don't get them from universities. You get them from the general population, and that means you need a mechanism to cultivate.

Obviously a group of kids doing DDoS attacks on EA servers are not quite what you're looking for, but the ones that are talented enough to crack Google servers open? You probably want them.

And I never claimed I'm as smart as them. In fact, I really only said they should be as clever as I am. If I can see that it's stupid to throw away that kind of brilliance, and it's probably smart to cultivate the kind of brilliance.. well I'm almost certain they do too. Especially when the hacker isn't doing it for money or some other self-service beyond improving their skill set.

If you think anyone in power really believes in arbitrarily punishing people for breaking the law just because those are the rules, you really only need to look at current events to figure out that they consider law subjective. I need not delve into the details; I think we're all aware of recent examples.

I don't see anything in my original statement about me asserting that I'm somehow smarter than the "national cyber defense agencies." I'm aware of the fact that I'm a random bloke on a computer forum. Well aware. That's why I figured it's very safe to assume they'd be more clever than me. You seem to have your argument rooted in the idea that if I'm right, they aren't smart. And for that reason, I can't be right. Well I'm pretty sure that logic is defeated by itself, because we have examples of subjective law enforcement, and we have historical examples of intelligence agencies recruiting convicts. It's not a big leap to say that talent can be cultivated in a controlled manner, from society, without vocally condoning such behavior.
Edited by Mookster - 10/7/16 at 2:44am
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
Trash Box
(15 items)
 
 
G73JH-A1
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 980x @ 4.4GHz Asus P6X58D-E Gigabyte 8GB GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 24GB Corsair Dominators 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveMonitorKeyboard
2x256GB C300's R0 1TB Samsung 850 Pro ASUS MG279Q, Catleap Q270 G19 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair AX1200 Silverstone RV-02 G9x 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 965BE 125W Asus M4A77D Asus 5770 Cucore 4GB Kingston 800MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
2x750GB Seagates 22x LG DVD-RW w7 Ultimate 64-bit  G15 
PowerCase
Antec Earthwatts 430W 80+ Antec New Solution NSK6580B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
720QM AsusTek Mobility HD5870 8GB Kingston 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB C300/500GB Seagate Bluray Combo w7 Ultimate 64-bit 17'' 1080P 
Case
G73JH-A1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 65
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post


Academia can only produce so many talented people, and when it does it will not be easy to convince those people to turn national security into priority one when they have the kind of education that allows them to choose any lifestyle.

If you want dedicated military intelligence workers, you don't get them from universities. You get them from the general population, and that means you need a mechanism to cultivate.

Obviously a group of kids doing DDoS attacks on EA servers are not quite what you're looking for, but the ones that are talented enough to crack Google servers open? You probably want them.

And I never claimed I'm as smart as them. In fact, I really only said they should be as clever as I am. If I can see that it's stupid to throw away that kind of brilliance, and it's probably smart to cultivate the kind of brilliance.. well I'm almost certain they do too. Especially when the hacker isn't doing it for money or some other self-service beyond improving their skill set.

If you think anyone in power really believes in arbitrarily punishing people for breaking the law just because those are the rules, you really only need to look at current events to figure out that they consider law subjective. I need not delve into the details; I think we're all aware of recent examples.

I don't see anything in my original statement about me asserting that I'm somehow smarter than the "national cyber defense agencies." I'm aware of the fact that I'm a random bloke on a computer forum. Well aware. That's why I figured they'd be more clever than me, and they wouldn't tell everyone about it if I were them, either. Mainly because of how someone like you reacts with such hostility. I mean, just look at how you reacted. You completely mangled everything I said, and made up a context that is clearly not there.. all in an effort to discredit what I was saying. Where does that even come from?

 

Well, I think it's a bit off topic.

 

We're talking about some blokes who DDOS game servers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Various] Lizard Squad and PoodleCorp pair charged by US Feds - Game server DDOS attacks