Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Problem overclocking 965BE on GA-970A-UD3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Problem overclocking 965BE on GA-970A-UD3

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hello,

I have a problem overclocking Phenom II X4 965BE on GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.0 MOBO.

The problem is, I can't event set my CPU at 3.5GHz in Bios. I've got latest BIOS for this MOBO (f8f which is beta BIOS). What I've set up:

- DDR clocks 1333 (I have one RAM on 1666 but there's a problem having it on 1600/1666 @ this MOBO)
- C1E support, Cool'nQuiet Enabled (disabling it gives me nothing)
- Tried to enable/disable CPU Core Control or something like this.
- Tried to undervoltage and add some voltage. I can run this 965BE on 1.3V but can't run 3.5GHz on even 1.4V shich is weird
- Tried to do something with HTLink etc. I can change nothing, cause every single change gives me BSOD after some time (even if it's after 8 hours, but still...).

Tomorrow I decided I'd give a try. Set up 3.6GHz clock and didn't touch anything else. Ran Prime95 and bang... BSOD after 15 minutes.

Oh, and the cooler. I've got SilentumPC Spartan, clean, new thermal paste and PC case is open for better air circulation. Temps are ok, even while running Prime95.

What can I do? Maybe there' something wrong with this particular MOBO?
post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxxx23 View Post

Hello,

I have a problem overclocking Phenom II X4 965BE on GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.0 MOBO.

The problem is, I can't event set my CPU at 3.5GHz in Bios. I've got latest BIOS for this MOBO (f8f which is beta BIOS). What I've set up:

- DDR clocks 1333 (I have one RAM on 1666 but there's a problem having it on 1600/1666 @ this MOBO)
- C1E support, Cool'nQuiet Enabled (disabling it gives me nothing)
- Tried to enable/disable CPU Core Control or something like this.
- Tried to undervoltage and add some voltage. I can run this 965BE on 1.3V but can't run 3.5GHz on even 1.4V shich is weird
- Tried to do something with HTLink etc. I can change nothing, cause every single change gives me BSOD after some time (even if it's after 8 hours, but still...).

Tomorrow I decided I'd give a try. Set up 3.6GHz clock and didn't touch anything else. Ran Prime95 and bang... BSOD after 15 minutes.

Oh, and the cooler. I've got SilentumPC Spartan, clean, new thermal paste and PC case is open for better air circulation. Temps are ok, even while running Prime95.

What can I do? Maybe there' something wrong with this particular MOBO?

Mismatched RAM can definitely cause issues with overclocking.
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
You think there'd be a problem having 1666 stick and setting it to 1333 and then overclocking CPU?
post #4 of 20
If you have mismatched RAM sticks then yeah, it definitely happens.

I don't know enough about old AMD overclocking to help elsewhere though.

If you fill in your sig rig specs it'll be alot easier for people to help out.
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Duno where can I edit sig rig, so I'll write it down here:

Processor: Phenom II X4 965BE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.0 (F8F BIOS)
HDD's: OCZ Vertex 4 SSD + 2x HDD (WD + Seagate)
RAM: 3 sticks: Crucial Ballistix 4GB 1666 + 2x Kingston 1333 4GB (all three down to 1333 in BIOS).
PSU: Enermax MODU 82+ 525W
Graphics card: just sold out 5850 Asus, now I have my brother's 7790 Club3d and waiting for new 7850 Gigabyte OC
Cooler: SilentumPC Spartan

Don't know what can I tell u more.
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxxx23 View Post

Duno where can I edit sig rig, so I'll write it down here:

Processor: Phenom II X4 965BE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.0 (F8F BIOS)
HDD's: OCZ Vertex 4 SSD + 2x HDD (WD + Seagate)
RAM: 3 sticks: Crucial Ballistix 4GB 1666 + 2x Kingston 1333 4GB (all three down to 1333 in BIOS).
PSU: Enermax MODU 82+ 525W
Graphics card: just sold out 5850 Asus, now I have my brother's 7790 Club3d and waiting for new 7850 Gigabyte OC
Cooler: SilentumPC Spartan

Don't know what can I tell u more.


Having mismatched RAM can cause problems even when not overclocking. Not only are yours different speeds, they are different brands and may or may not have compatible chips on them.

Make sure you have the 1333s in the first slot of each channel.
Longterm upgrader
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 965 BE ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer MSI R9 285 Gaming Team Xtreme 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate SATA intel ssd Sony DVD Burner Corsair H110 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
140mm case fan x2 Windows 7 Insignia LG L1932TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 OCZ 750w Fatality Fractal Design Define R4 Tt esport Talon 
Mouse PadAudio
yes Logitech 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Longterm upgrader
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 965 BE ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer MSI R9 285 Gaming Team Xtreme 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate SATA intel ssd Sony DVD Burner Corsair H110 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
140mm case fan x2 Windows 7 Insignia LG L1932TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 OCZ 750w Fatality Fractal Design Define R4 Tt esport Talon 
Mouse PadAudio
yes Logitech 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
I have no problem with RAM when it's on 1333. Problems starting when they're on AUTO or 1.6MHz (even one ballistix on 1.6). May overclocking cause instability on RAM slots?

Will definetely try with 1333 on first slots.
post #8 of 20
The problem is the 3 stick of ram. Phenom II don't like 3 or 4 sticks of ram when ocing. You can run 3 or 4 sticks of ram and ocing. You just need to increase CPU/NB voltage.
Please read for voltage limited. This is the OCing guide from AMD.
AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf 624k .pdf file
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Will try, but I'm not very into OC.

You think raising CPU and NB voltage by small steps will do the trick, or maybe you have something in mind right now? Maybe just raise it CPU voltage to 1,45V in first shot?
Edited by Proxxx23 - 10/12/16 at 3:37am
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

The problem is the 3 stick of ram. Phenom II don't like 3 or 4 sticks of ram when ocing. You can run 3 or 4 sticks of ram and ocing. You just need to increase CPU/NB voltage.
Please read for voltage limited. This is the OCing guide from AMD.
AMD_Dragon_AM3_AM2_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf 624k .pdf file

The site gives me an error on that attachment.
Longterm upgrader
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 965 BE ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer MSI R9 285 Gaming Team Xtreme 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate SATA intel ssd Sony DVD Burner Corsair H110 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
140mm case fan x2 Windows 7 Insignia LG L1932TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 OCZ 750w Fatality Fractal Design Define R4 Tt esport Talon 
Mouse PadAudio
yes Logitech 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Longterm upgrader
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 965 BE ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer MSI R9 285 Gaming Team Xtreme 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
seagate SATA intel ssd Sony DVD Burner Corsair H110 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
140mm case fan x2 Windows 7 Insignia LG L1932TQ 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 OCZ 750w Fatality Fractal Design Define R4 Tt esport Talon 
Mouse PadAudio
yes Logitech 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Problem overclocking 965BE on GA-970A-UD3