Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards ›  Msi gaming 970 vrm temps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Msi gaming 970 vrm temps - Page 2

post #11 of 76
Lose the front panel and get some serious case fans in the front. What size fans can you fit in the front of that case? Hmm. You might not have to remove that front plate with decent case fans.

You only got half a cooler! 3 heat pipes are not enough. Get a 6 heat pipe cooler and it will help everything run cooler.
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 76
Thread Starter 
3x120 or 2x140mm and yeah i was gonna go water but i heard vrms will get worse. Btw you responded to my fx 8320 oc over time change post. I reinstall windows and everybody is great now. Except wathammer lol. So u recommend taking off front panel?
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklkit View Post

Lose the front panel and get some serious case fans in the front. What size fans can you fit in the front of that case? Hmm. You might not have to remove that front plate with decent case fans.

You only got half a cooler! 3 heat pipes are not enough. Get a 6 heat pipe cooler and it will help everything run cooler.

This person^^^^^^knows exactly what he is talking about and has the experience to back it up. To the best of your ability, do what he says. I sorta know him from several years ago and a bunch of us overclocking 8350's. He was exactly right then and he is now. Howdy miklkit, you're a trooper for hanging in and on...for such a long period of time.

thumb.gif
post #14 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudfark View Post

This person^^^^^^knows exactly what he is talking about and has the experience to back it up. To the best of your ability, do what he says. I sorta know him from several years ago and a bunch of us overclocking 8350's. He was exactly right then and he is now. Howdy miklkit, you're a trooper for hanging in and on...for such a long period of time.

thumb.gif

Seriously miklkit and undervolt are everywhere i go look for info about stuff lol.
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperna21 View Post

3x120 or 2x140mm and yeah i was gonna go water but i heard vrms will get worse. Btw you responded to my fx 8320 oc over time change post. I reinstall windows and everybody is great now. Except wathammer lol. So u recommend taking off front panel?

Well, I'm retired and have lots of time to wander around this place, so ya you would see me a lot. There are lots of others who are more knowledgeable about lots of arcane settings tho.

I'm mostly interested in getting enough air flowing through the case to keep everything cool. http://www.overclock.net/t/1274407/fans-the-most-complete-and-comprehensive-array-of-tests-and-benchmarks

For case fans all you are interested in is how they work while pulling air into the case through the filters. That thread is a treasure. The front cover is optional and it really depends on how the temperatures go.

Those days in the first half of 2013 were pretty rough. We were all sitting there watching our rigs going up in smoke, and when I had never overclocked before it was a steep learning curve. It's a lot easier now.
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 76
Thread Starter 
Yeah you've been a lot of help in both of my threads , that's really cool that you take your spare time to help people. Ill take a look at the article you sent. The front ill leave in for now since it's winter. But later yeah it's coming off. The top probably to. Sucks about the vrms cause i get like 150fps in doom or anything that's gpu heavy but as soon as cpu load is required im screwed. There's not much growth with the amd series except ocing which i have to halt till i can figure out my cooling plans. Ill get Back to you after reading up. Fans are my weakness. Push pull, static preasure are all gibberish to me lol. Ill update you soon.
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperna21 View Post

3x120 or 2x140mm and yeah i was gonna go water but i heard vrms will get worse. Btw you responded to my fx 8320 oc over time change post. I reinstall windows and everybody is great now. Except wathammer lol. So u recommend taking off front panel?

Here's my unsolicited experience with 'water'. On a Giga UD3 board rev. 1.1 I started out with an Artic 520 HSF....at 4.5ghz on my 8350...for a couple months. Then changed it to a Corsair H110 and got to 4.7 and then went south quickly.....temps got steadily worse and upon investigation, found the motherboard had warped severely in the VRM area and had lost most of the contact from the heatsinks...board ruined.

Listened to some smart folks here...bought a Sabertooth rev. 2.0, a much more durable board in handling heat, a put fans directily blowing on the VRM's both on the front and back of the motherboard. Problem taken care of and overclock set at 4.6ghz to this day. Oh, still using the H110. I gave this rig to my oldest son and it's still in use daily.

The warped UD3 board sat on the shelf for almost a year....with a lot of weight on it, to flatten it out. Was re-purposed into my wife's gaming computer and paired with a 6350 @ 3.9ghz and still running daily and is cooled with a H100i and fans on the VRM's.

TLDR: I like liquid cooling and I believe should you use it with an 8350? You must definitely add fans to the VRM's to reduce throttling and damage.

Hope this helps...
post #18 of 76
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudfark View Post

Here's my unsolicited experience with 'water'. On a Giga UD3 board rev. 1.1 I started out with an Artic 520 HSF....at 4.5ghz on my 8350...for a couple months. Then changed it to a Corsair H110 and got to 4.7 and then went south quickly.....temps got steadily worse and upon investigation, found the motherboard had warped severely in the VRM area and had lost most of the contact from the heatsinks...board ruined.

Listened to some smart folks here...bought a Sabertooth rev. 2.0, a much more durable board in handling heat, a put fans directily blowing on the VRM's both on the front and back of the motherboard. Problem taken care of and overclock set at 4.6ghz to this day. Oh, still using the H110. I gave this rig to my oldest son and it's still in use daily.

The warped UD3 board sat on the shelf for almost a year....with a lot of weight on it, to flatten it out. Was re-purposed into my wife's gaming computer and paired with a 6350 @ 3.9ghz and still running daily and is cooled with a H100i and fans on the VRM's.

TLDR: I like liquid cooling and I believe should you use it with an 8350? You must definitely add fans to the VRM's to reduce throttling and damage.

Hope this helps...


Hey thanks man , It does help i just gotta figure out how to mount them. Fans behind the vrms? Or fan behind the socket? I'm gonna open the pc up later and look around to see how i can do this.
post #19 of 76
I used....a 80mm fan on the back of the board (Asus) and it blew air pretty much on both the VRM plate and the socket for cpu....should you be able to do both (depends on your case) I'd advise it.
When I did this, three years ago....My case was an Antec LanBoy Air, essentially a zero pressure case and very easy to get at the back of the board. When I gave this rig to my son...he wanted a Corsair C70 case in Military Green....which I did do, fans and H110 and it fit.

BTW, that LanBoy Air case had a dozen 120mm fans in it after I warped the UD3 board....and two 80mm fans on the VRM's.....noisy, was not the best word. Headphones a must...lol
post #20 of 76
Yeah, hot VRMs are a bummer and a warped board is a lesser evil compared to the VRMs catching on fire and taking out the CPU too. My UD3 warped at 1.4 volts.

When it comes to motherboards everything revolves around the VRMs.
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard Dog
(17 items)
 
Blackie
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Biostar X370 GT7 Sapphire Nitro Fury G. Skill Ripjaws ddr4 3200 16 GB 4x4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD Western Digital 500gb  Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 64bit Pixio 27" 1440P yes Seasonic 850 watt  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL05 Evoluent vertical mouse yes Creative X-FI  
Other
Sennheiser headphones HD 599 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX8370 @ 5 ghz ASUS Sabertooth Sapphire Fury G Skill F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Samsung 850 EVO Memorex Lightscribe dvd Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win X 64 bit Pixio 27" 1440P  yes Seasonic SS-850KM Active PFC F3 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Redline RL02b Evoluent VM4 yes Creative Soundblaster Z  
Audio
Sennheiser 428 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards ›  Msi gaming 970 vrm temps