Been using mine for a few days. Thoughts:
The not so good:
- The build quality is very professional and very solid. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with my p2715q, but this is so much better.
- The colors are very rich. The same photos are displayed with richer color and look more vibrant than on my p2715q.
- Some content looks amazing in 8k.
- No problems with Windows 10 scaling so far. I set mine to 250%. One app was misbehaving, but I was able to fix it by changing the “disable display scaling on high DPI” setting.
- Setup was simple.
- I haven’t tried the OLED one yet, so this is the best monitor I’ve ever seen.
- I realize I don’t actually have that much 8k content yet. Many of the 8k photos you find online are in jpeg where the 8k and 5k might not actually have that much difference. There are some photos that look amazing in 8k (especially raw 100mp shots from the PhaseOne camera), but there's not as much of that content online. With the content I have on hand, so far this feels more like the transition from 720p to 1080p than the transition from 1080p to 4k.
- To really see the detail you need 8k content and you need to be like within 2 feet of the monitor. At far enough distance, there’s not significant difference between 8k, 4k, or even 1080p. When 16k comes out, it probably needs to be at least 36 inches to be useful.
- Some of the 8k videos I played would get some black squares covering parts of them when it felt like the computer couldn’t keep up. Not sure if this is due to only have a gtx 1080ti, or something else. If I pause the video, then the processing catches up.
The not so good:
- When I rotate the monitor to be portrait mode, it instantly triggers some fans inside to turn on. When I rotate it back, the fans instantly turn off. The fan is loud enough that it makes me not want to keep the monitor in portrait mode for any extended period of time. Did anyone else notice this problem? At some point I’ll test using just one DP instead of two, to see if that helps avoid the fan noise.
- When I reboot my computer with both a 4k and this 8k monitor attached, I get no video signal. I have to turn off the 8k one when I reboot, log in with the 4k monitor, then turn the 8k one on again.
- Some issues to work out, as noted, but I think it’s quite good. 9/10.