Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread - Page 279

post #2781 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

I read that gigabyte gaming 3 has 2 mosfets on the backside of motherboard. Is that really bad?
it might be harder to cool them but it's not "bad" in itself.
post #2782 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post

it might be harder to cool them but it's not "bad" in itself.

I think they will become big problem if I push R5 1600 to 3,7-3,8Ghz. I will wait and see does Giga x370 K3 have this problem.
AMD FX
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8300 ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Kingston DDR3 1866mhz 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cooler master TPC 600 Win10 EVGA G2 850W Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD FX
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8300 ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Kingston DDR3 1866mhz 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cooler master TPC 600 Win10 EVGA G2 850W Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2783 of 3269
I probably messed up. Simple question: will Ryzen 5 1600x work on stock f3 BIOS Gigabyte Gaming 5?
I got the board assuming it's same CPU family it will just work, 1600x not in stock yet, got board today because they go out of stock fast and found out that it may not work just now, though from gaming 3 accounts on R51600. Anyone tried it?
post #2784 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

I think they will become big problem if I push R5 1600 to 3,7-3,8Ghz. I will wait and see does Giga x370 K3 have this problem.

There's a recognizable hurdle with ryzen chips at which point the voltage to clock speed goes up considerably. It's generally north of 3.8 but varies from chip to chip. If vrm cooling is your concern staying on the conservative side will net you much lower temps for both vrm and cpu. Case air flow matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post

I probably messed up. Simple question: will Ryzen 5 1600x work on stock f3 BIOS Gigabyte Gaming 5?
I got the board assuming it's same CPU family it will just work, 1600x not in stock yet, got board today because they go out of stock fast and found out that it may not work just now, though from gaming 3 accounts on R51600. Anyone tried it?

It should work as well as the R7's do. They are the same die.
post #2785 of 3269
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK vs ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS... which one would you recommend for an R5 1600?
Or... are there any better boards in this price range?
Warlord
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G Corsair Venegeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Green 2TB LG BD-ROM Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro BenQ G2420HDB 24" A4TECH X7 G800V Corsair RM650i 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered A4TECH Bloody V8M HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
Warlord
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G Corsair Venegeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 128GB WD Caviar Green 2TB LG BD-ROM Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro BenQ G2420HDB 24" A4TECH X7 G800V Corsair RM650i 
CaseMouseAudio
Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered A4TECH Bloody V8M HyperX Cloud 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2786 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post

It should work as well as the R7's do. They are the same die.

I ask because I've seen two accounts of system not posting. Trying to increase information sample, maybe people put their R5s in new boards etc.. It would be easier to buy 1700x, really, than return board where I live.
post #2787 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

I will wait and see does Giga x370 K3 have this problem.

-> https://www.techpowerup.com/229076/gigabyte-ax370-gaming-k3-socket-am4-motherboard-pcb-pictured
If the PCB design is still the same today all the FETs are on the "right" side.
post #2788 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post

I probably messed up. Simple question: will Ryzen 5 1600x work on stock f3 BIOS Gigabyte Gaming 5?
I got the board assuming it's same CPU family it will just work, 1600x not in stock yet, got board today because they go out of stock fast and found out that it may not work just now, though from gaming 3 accounts on R51600. Anyone tried it?

Okay, sorry, apparently https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/854052505088667649

"That's right. All Ryzen are drop-in supported, regardless of the BIOS revision."

Had to apply my google skillZ harder it seems.
post #2789 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0da View Post

-> https://www.techpowerup.com/229076/gigabyte-ax370-gaming-k3-socket-am4-motherboard-pcb-pictured
If the PCB design is still the same today all the FETs are on the "right" side.

So there are on the backside, then Vrm cooler won't have big effect...I will probably decide in monday, I am tired of waiting, maybe will price of gaming 3 drop now when are new mbo released...If am I lucky VRM wont't be too hot on 3,6-3,7, I won't change anything until am5(6) 😀
AMD FX
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8300 ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Kingston DDR3 1866mhz 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cooler master TPC 600 Win10 EVGA G2 850W Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD FX
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8300 ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Kingston DDR3 1866mhz 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Cooler master TPC 600 Win10 EVGA G2 850W Define R5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2790 of 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post

Okay, sorry, apparently https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/854052505088667649

"That's right. All Ryzen are drop-in supported, regardless of the BIOS revision."

Had to apply my google skillZ harder it seems.

Welcome to the interwebz! No worries. Easier to find stories of "zomg it won't work/thing sucks" than 'works fine'. As with all platforms, there are many ways to not get system to post.
For a happier life I build outside the case and test first. Easier than endless cursing only to find motherboard grounded in case,, or cheap case switch is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBox View Post

So there are on the backside, then Vrm cooler won't have big effect...I will probably decide in monday, I am tired of waiting, maybe will price of gaming 3 drop now when are new mbo released...If am I lucky VRM wont't be too hot on 3,6-3,7, I won't change anything until am5(6) 😀

3.7- 3.8 ghz should be fine for temps everywhere unless you're building in the worst enclosure possible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › AMD Ryzen Motherboard Thread