Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club - Page 913

post #9121 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebunny View Post

Unless I start measuring at the MLCC's, I was using PINS near the socket for delivery to the CPU. LLC was Auto also at the time, older BIOS. It got better with the recent BIOS that Biostar has released.

Measure directly behind socket or pad behind socket if there is one.

Caps were far higher....which is where build zoid measured...

You really only need one person to measure correctly...

Unless a board is defective all boards of that model should measure within .002 of each other..@ identical vcore/pwm/llc settings.
Edited by chew* - 4/17/17 at 12:21pm
post #9122 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebunny View Post

Unless I start measuring at the MLCC's, I was using PINS near the socket for delivery to the CPU. LLC was Auto also at the time, older BIOS. It got better with the recent BIOS that Biostar has released.

So do you think with the latest bios updates, LLC has gotten "better" I guess and therefore software readings would be more accurate?

I know auto with the Taichi board defaults to LLC5. I had 1.36v set in bios with LLC2 as Hwinfo reported a constant 1.36v.

with LLC5 HWinfo reports 1.305v under load which was strange to me but hey vdroop is a thing. But I still maintained stability at 3.9Ghz (passed IBT on extreme with 32GB of Ram).

The fact that I was still stable makes me question what voltage my chip is actually at.

I just seriously doubt my chip is stable at 3.9GHz at 1.305v under load.

Billzoid believes LLC5 on the Taichi board was the only one that actually has the VRMs deliver close to the voltage set in the bios.
post #9123 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Measure directly behind socket or pad behind socket if there is one.

Caps were far higher....which is where build zoid measured...

You really only need one person to measure correctly...

Unless a board is defective all boards of that model should measure within .002 of each other..@ identical vcore/pwm/llc settings.

I didn't go through his video till now and saw he did measure at caps. I'll have to look at my board more and see, gotta take the side panel off and move gear around
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowxaero View Post

So do you think with the latest bios updates, LLC has gotten "better" I guess and therefore software readings would be more accurate?

I know auto with the Taichi board defaults to LLC5. I had 1.36v set in bios with LLC2 as Hwinfo reported a constant 1.36v.

with LLC5 HWinfo reports 1.305v under load which was strange to me but hey vdroop is a thing. But I still maintained stability at 3.9Ghz (passed IBT on extreme with 32GB of Ram).

The fact that I was still stable makes me question what voltage my chip is actually at.

I just seriously doubt my chip is stable at 3.9GHz at 1.305v under load.

Billzoid believes LLC5 on the Taichi board was the only one that actually has the VRMs deliver close to the voltage set in the bios.

If I've learned anything from AMD boards in the past, LLC is just weird with AMD, I normally just run Auto LLC, I got some weird results with higher LLC settings on the Biostar board, work in progress though with that.

I'm roughly at 1.320v @ 3.9Ghz and I've been running like this for about 10 days now, system shutdowns, benchmarking, stressing, random work loads and no issues. Issue is finding a "good" DMM point
Edited by savagebunny - 4/17/17 at 12:32pm
post #9124 of 11679
I'm sending back my 1700X to amazon.

Its just giving me headaches.

3.9Ghz seemed stable at standard 1.35v + 0.025v LLC on max.

But then it wasnt. And then it wasnt even stable at 1.35 + 0.05v LLC max, which netted me over 1.45v on load.

Is it too much to ask for stable 3.9Ghz on this chip? Apparently so.

Plus, I had alot of difficulties getting my Gskill 3200/Cl14 to run on 3200Mhz. Thanks tu mus1mus, I got it running a few times, but rebooting was still a gamble and it wa unstable more often than not.


I'm playing the lottery again and getting another chip. It cant get much worse than this one, can it?
Hope (for AMD)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700X Gigabyte AX-370X-Gaming K7 Sapphire Tri-X 290X new edition G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB - F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO 250GB Crucial M4 CT256M4 Crucial CT500BX Western Digital WD10EZEX 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) Windows 10 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 80+Gold 580W 
CaseMouse
Fractal R4 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
Hope (for AMD)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700X Gigabyte AX-370X-Gaming K7 Sapphire Tri-X 290X new edition G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB - F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO 250GB Crucial M4 CT256M4 Crucial CT500BX Western Digital WD10EZEX 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) Windows 10 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 80+Gold 580W 
CaseMouse
Fractal R4 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9125 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfuel View Post

I'm sending back my 1700X to amazon.

Its just giving me headaches.

3.9Ghz seemed stable at standard 1.35v + 0.025v LLC on max.

But then it wasnt. And then it wasnt even stable at 1.35 + 0.05v LLC max, which netted me over 1.45v on load.

Is it too much to ask for stable 3.9Ghz on this chip? Apparently so.

Plus, I had alot of difficulties getting my Gskill 3200/Cl14 to run on 3200Mhz. Thanks tu mus1mus, I got it running a few times, but rebooting was still a gamble and it wa unstable more often than not.


I'm playing the lottery again and getting another chip. It cant get much worse than this one, can it?

You could try upping the SOC voltage a bit to see if that helps.
post #9126 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagebunny View Post

I didn't go through his video till now and saw he did measure at caps. I'll have to look at my board more and see, gotta take the side panel off and move gear around
If I've learned anything from AMD boards in the past, LLC is just weird with AMD, I normally just run Auto LLC, I got some weird results with higher LLC settings on the Biostar board, work in progress though with that.

I'm roughly at 1.320v @ 3.9Ghz and I've been running like this for about 10 days now, system shutdowns, benchmarking, stressing, random work loads and no issues. Issue is finding a "good" DMM point

If I am actually stable at 1.305 I will take it lol. Max temps under IBT was 62C versus the 75 at LLC2.
post #9127 of 11679
@shadowxaero

I tried, it didnt help.

But thanks.
Hope (for AMD)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700X Gigabyte AX-370X-Gaming K7 Sapphire Tri-X 290X new edition G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB - F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO 250GB Crucial M4 CT256M4 Crucial CT500BX Western Digital WD10EZEX 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) Windows 10 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 80+Gold 580W 
CaseMouse
Fractal R4 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
Hope (for AMD)
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1700X Gigabyte AX-370X-Gaming K7 Sapphire Tri-X 290X new edition G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB - F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO 250GB Crucial M4 CT256M4 Crucial CT500BX Western Digital WD10EZEX 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Thermalright HR-02 Macho Rev.A (BW) Windows 10 Fujitsu P24W-6 IPS be quiet! Straight Power E9 CM 80+Gold 580W 
CaseMouse
Fractal R4 Logitech Performance MX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9128 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfuel View Post

@shadowxaero

I tried, it didnt help.

But thanks.

Yup play the lottery then lol. Could even get a normal 1700 and save a few bucks.
post #9129 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Just some fyi. According to electrical engineers employed god knows how many years....

Measure closest to cpu. In this case socket.

While i find his info interesting...

Teenager vs employed for years electrical engineers?

I'm gonna go with engineers

Well in the video he says that where he is measuring "is a little bit far from the CPU socket" but he has no better means atm to measure closer to the socket. So he is well aware.

Except for that the point about LLC is pretty valuable I think and is in line with what is advised by the reps & The Stilt in the Crosshair VI thread.
main
(10 items)
 
  
Reply
main
(10 items)
 
  
Reply
post #9130 of 11679
Quote:
Originally Posted by malitze View Post

Well in the video he says that where he is measuring "is a little bit far from the CPU socket" but he has no better means atm to measure closer to the socket. So he is well aware.

Except for that the point about LLC is pretty valuable I think and is in line with what is advised by the reps & The Stilt in the Crosshair VI thread.

Im aware of his problem...taichi backplate blocks your ability to measure. I swapped mine to measure mine.

I however mentioned my findings and his reply discredited measuring at socket so....

That said his knowledge dropped a couple points on my credibility meter based on his reply.

Btw engineers i am referring to. Stilt,raja,tin.

So either they are wrong or buildzoid is wrong.

Gonna side with the engineers on this one.
Edited by chew* - 4/17/17 at 12:59pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [Official] RYZEN 7 1800X | 1700X |1700 Owners Club & 4GHz+ Club