Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [PCGH] GTX 1080 & GTX 1060 get faster memory: RX-500 counter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PCGH] GTX 1080 & GTX 1060 get faster memory: RX-500 counter? - Page 6

post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetgamer120 View Post


Can you explain that to me please confused.gif

 

It's not that deep. Just like GP104/GTX 1080 does not have the physics of a high end GPU, something like Hawaii/R9 390X doesn't have the die size, power consumption, thermals etc. of a midrange GPU.

post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post

It's not that deep. Just like GP104/GTX 1080 does not have the physics of a high end GPU, something like Hawaii/R9 390X doesn't have the die size, power consumption, thermals etc. of a midrange GPU.

Well the hawaii wasn't a mid range, only on price. Still a lot of performance. And 380 was kinda a flop compared to 280x

We know that amd doesn't have the money to refresh their arch constantly.
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post

It's not that deep. Just like GP104/GTX 1080 does not have the physics of a high end GPU, something like Hawaii/R9 390X doesn't have the die size, power consumption, thermals etc. of a midrange GPU.

I always thought performance defined target segments. I did not know heat and power consumption also did.
post #54 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post


Well the hawaii wasn't a mid range, only on price. Still a lot of performance. And 380 was kinda a flop compared to 280x

We know that amd doesn't have the money to refresh their arch constantly.

 

I know, but that's exactly why these rebrands are so bad.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetgamer120 View Post


I always thought performance defined target segments. I did not know heat and power consumption also did.

 

Well, I'd personally say pricing is the defining factor. Heat and power consumption are definitely not defining factors for a market segment, but a large enough mismatch can be crippling to a product. It will also eat margins at some point. I don't think Fiji is suitable for a midrange rebrand for example.


Edited by TheBlademaster01 - 4/20/17 at 3:13pm
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post

I know, but that's exactly why these rebrands are so bad.


Well, I'd personally say pricing is the defining factor. Heat and power consumption are definitely not defining factors for a market segment, but a large enough mismatch can be crippling to a product. It will also eat margins at some point. I don't think Fiji is suitable for a midrange rebrand for example.

I know the Rx580 is terrible with the power consumption. But like you said price and performance.

Fiji could definitely be midrange only uses a few watts more while gaming lachen.gif

post #56 of 58

Yeh, that's just ridiculous but to be expected when you clock an SKU to the moon (also happens when you overclock + overvolt a normal GPU, which is pretty much what RX 580 is).

 

But I named Fiji in particular because the manufacturing cost of Fury would be unsustainable at a much lower price point since it has HBM and such a huge die. The frame buffer would still be okay for midrange and TDP would still be a lot better than when they rebranded Tahiti and Hawaii.

 

E:

 

Isn't Fury already pretty much EoL?

post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post

Yeh, that's just ridiculous but to be expected when you clock an SKU to the moon (also happens when you overclock + overvolt a normal GPU, which is pretty much what RX 580 is).

But I named Fiji in particular because the manufacturing cost of Fury would be unsustainable at a much lower price point since it has HBM and such a huge die. The frame buffer would still be okay for midrange and TDP would still be a lot better than when they rebranded Tahiti and Hawaii.

E:

Isn't Fury already pretty much EoL?

Yes it seems to be EOL.

AdoredTv Rx580 reviews shows how much undervolting helps with the power consumption while still retaining the clock speed.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetgamer120 View Post


Yes it seems to be EOL.

AdoredTv Rx580 reviews shows how much undervolting helps with the power consumption while still retaining the clock speed.

 

Yes, dynamic/switching power consumption is proportional to the square of the voltage and scales only linear with the frequency. With less heat created, static consumption also drops exponentially and actually also improves switching speed/driving current.

 

I imagine that AMD & AIBs had to maintain a certain safety margin so that the bulk is still stable.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [PCGH] GTX 1080 & GTX 1060 get faster memory: RX-500 counter?