Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club - Page 354

post #3531 of 10838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshagg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarWolf View Post

I could only do 2062 at 1.031v without it down volting and down clocking all the time during Heaven, to get a continual 2062 core that is without it fluctuating on original BIOS. redface.gif

Now i'm getting 2100 core at 1.075v with no drops in core or voltages during Heaven, so big improvement. biggrin.gif

Presumably this also has a custom voltage curve, which I cant really do as Afterburner and SteamVR dont play nice. Although for benching goodness it's not an issue.

Yes, custom curve. redface.gif

Edit: Couldn't you set clocks with Afterburner on boot, then close it before the VR?

You could try that then log with GPU-Z, see if clocks stay set. smile.gif
Edited by KedarWolf - 4/4/17 at 7:57am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960X Asus Sabertooth X99 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Founders Edition Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1.2TB Intel 750 PCI-E SSD 2TB Western Digital Black EKWB Predator 360 With One Titan X In Loop. Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB280HK 4K Gsync QNIX QX2710 LED 27" WQHD 2560x1440 Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 
MouseMouse Pad
MadKatz R.A.T. 8 Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960X Asus Sabertooth X99 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Founders Edition Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1.2TB Intel 750 PCI-E SSD 2TB Western Digital Black EKWB Predator 360 With One Titan X In Loop. Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB280HK 4K Gsync QNIX QX2710 LED 27" WQHD 2560x1440 Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 
MouseMouse Pad
MadKatz R.A.T. 8 Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3532 of 10838
@KedarWolf Did you see any thermal throttling under water? Tempted to try this when I get home. Do you know what CPU usage was like during the benchmarks?
post #3533 of 10838
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher6 View Post

@KedarWolf Did you see any thermal throttling under water? Tempted to try this when I get home. Do you know what CPU usage was like during the benchmarks?

No thermal throttling, no, temps hover around 40C. Core never dips below 2100 or 1.075v.

Haven't checked CPU usage, can do later with Heaven running.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960X Asus Sabertooth X99 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Founders Edition Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1.2TB Intel 750 PCI-E SSD 2TB Western Digital Black EKWB Predator 360 With One Titan X In Loop. Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB280HK 4K Gsync QNIX QX2710 LED 27" WQHD 2560x1440 Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 
MouseMouse Pad
MadKatz R.A.T. 8 Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5960X Asus Sabertooth X99 Gigabyte 1080 Ti Founders Edition Corsair LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1.2TB Intel 750 PCI-E SSD 2TB Western Digital Black EKWB Predator 360 With One Titan X In Loop. Windows 10 Anniversary Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB280HK 4K Gsync QNIX QX2710 LED 27" WQHD 2560x1440 Corsair AX1500i Thermaltake Core X9 
MouseMouse Pad
MadKatz R.A.T. 8 Zowie 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3534 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarWolf View Post

No thermal throttling, no, temps hover around 40C. Core never dips below 2100 or 1.075v.

Haven't checked CPU usage, can do later with Heaven running.

You might be right about that, more power means more heat.

My temps were around 47C with heavy benching. That extra power was pushing me a little around 51C.

Might have to run my fans at 100%.... =/
post #3535 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

Okay, from a UL standpoint, nail polish IS NOT OKAY because it's flammable, the opposite of what ul looks for, flame resistant material.

I would have used circuit board RTV instead, that's what it's made for!

Use RTV DAMN IT!

You remember EVGA VRM blowing up? You want nail polish around that if it happened?

This is NOT an issue. I am going to watercool the card and i did not apply the nail polish directly on the DIE or the VRM. The hottest the nail polish will get is 50°C.
But let's create a worst case scenario: Let's assume i apllied the polish directly on the hottest part of my graphics card, the VRM, and let's assume I have VERY hot VRM at 125°C because of poor air cooling and heavy overclocking. No let's add an extra 10°C for whoever knows and let's assume the nail polish gets heated up to 135°C constantly over a longer period of time.
Would that be an issue? NO.
How do I know? Because I tested it on an old sound card. I applied two different brands of nail polish to different spots on the card, then i put it in the oven at 135°C for a whole hour. I put it vertically, so the nail polish would run down the card if it melts.
The pictures in my next post are taken directly after i got it out. Every spot of nail polish was exactly in the same condition as before. No change in color, it was still hard, it did not even smell. Absolutely no change at all.
So dont panic. If you get problems with nail polish on your graphics card, it is definetly not because of heat.
You are right, there are surely isolators or paints with a better heat resistance than nail polish, but for the temps you get in PC, even worst case, it simply doesn't matter. And nail polish is easily accessible, especially if you are married :-) and it comes with a handy brush. What more could you want?

PS: I am not saying that applying nail polish to your graphics card is totally safe. I am doing this for the first time, so maybe reality will teach me not to do it again. But heat will not be a problem.

post #3536 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbheagan View Post

This is NOT an issue. I am going to watercool the card and i did not apply the nail polish directly on the DIE or the VRM. The hottest the nail polish will get is 50°C.
But let's create a worst case scenario: Let's assume i apllied the polish directly on the hottest part of my graphics card, the VRM, and let's assume I have VERY hot VRM at 125°C because of poor air cooling and heavy overclocking. No let's add an extra 10°C for whoever knows and let's assume the nail polish gets heated up to 135°C constantly over a longer period of time.
Would that be an issue? NO.
How do I know? Because I tested it on an old sound card. I applied two different brands of nail polish to different spots on the card, then i put it in the oven at 135°C for a whole hour. I put it vertically, so the nail polish would run down the card if it melts.
The pictures in my next post are taken directly after i got it out. Every spot of nail polish was exactly in the same condition as before. No change in color, it was still hard, it did not even smell. Absolutely no change at all.
So dont panic. If you get problems with nail polish on your graphics card, it is definetly not because of heat.
You are right, there are surely isolators or paints with a better heat resistance than nail polish, but for the temps you get in PC, even worst case, it simply doesn't matter. And nail polish is easily accessible, especially if you are married :-) and it comes with a handy brush. What more could you want?

PS: I am not saying that applying nail polish to your graphics card is totally safe. I am doing this for the first time, so maybe reality will teach me not to do it again. But heat will not be a problem.


From a UL standpoint, circuit board RTV would have been better, it is acceptable. Nail polish is not. That's all I'm saying. Why use nail polish when one can use RTV.

You can also peel off black RTV with your finger if you need to RMA. I hope if other people do the mod, they use RTV.
post #3537 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juub View Post

Any of you guys upgraded from a 980 Ti? If so what are the differences max OC vs max OC?
boost is 2000~ instead of 1500~ and it packs almost double the vram, almost double the bandwidth, and still manages 25% more cores.
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3538 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJ87D View Post

From a UL standpoint, circuit board RTV would have been better, it is acceptable. Nail polish is not. That's all I'm saying. Why use nail polish when one can use RTV.

You can also peel off black RTV with your finger if you need to RMA. I hope if other people do the mod, they use RTV.

btw: What is a UL standpoint?

And what makes RTV better for this particular case? You surely would not like to peel it off with your finger with all the small parts under it. Even if you would, it is not interesting for me. I am not the type of guy who shunt mods his card and then tries to rma it if it gors wrong.
post #3539 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pez View Post

Hey man, no worries thumb.gif. It's hard not to immediately want to be aggressive on forums (even as what I consider to be a functioning normal person tongue.gif).

I *supposedly* got my hands on a Maximum VII Impact, and if it isn't too good to be true, I'll have an extra Z97 board that I'd love to put an i5 in, move the i7 to my GFs system and give a serious look into that CPU. Even though it's a bit off-topic, what OCs are generally expected/sought after with those chips?
pretty much everybody can get 4.2-4.3 , at anywhere from 1.25-1.35v and these chips can take over 1.4v core and still run cool. I am running (daily) 4.2@1.28v, up from stock which is 3.3 dont let those lower sounding numbers scare you as this dude at 4.2 is on par IPC wise with skylake at 4.5
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
EVA3.1
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Broadwell i7-5775c MSI Z97m gaming Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata ssd Asetek 240mm Win10 Samsung 8 series suhdtv  
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3540 of 10838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunbheagan View Post

btw: What is a UL standpoint?

And what makes RTV better for this particular case? You surely would not like to peel it off with your finger with all the small parts under it. Even if you would, it is not interesting for me. I am not the type of guy who shunt mods his card and then tries to rma it if it gors wrong.

UL is a standard we follow in the US to keep things safe. They do tons of research on computer boards and control panels, etc.

RTV is a silicon that is not conductive and is applied to boards quite often. It is like a sealing gasket you can form and can be peeled off.

You can get various types of RTV, ones that can be peeled off easily (in this case you would want that for RTV reasons), or some that can hold a heatsink to a VRM chip if you glued the side of it, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti Owner's Club